no more aches and pains at night!!!!! - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 03:27 PM

if you are cold sleeping on a thermarest smac, then the big agnes or the exped may not be for you. a rubber casing full of air does not conserve warmth - far from it. you are better off sleeping on a thermarest with a blue foamy underneath (or two). then, you will definitely be insulated from the winter cold

I have the exped7 and I've slept on it with a thermarest underneath, on a canoe trip; and with just the exped. the solo solution is much cooler at night - and I have not tried it yet in the winter.

so it all depends on how much you want to carry. Frankly, the exped weighs *nothing*, so why not shoulder your old trusty thermarest, drop a tiny Exped into your pack (they pack so small!) and try a hybrid approach.

Buy your exped from a retailer that accepts returns (REI, MEC, there may be others) and see how you feel in September or October. If it's cold then, then it *will* be colder when the snows come. If you are not happy - return the item. Keep it in good condition just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

Smac - if it's straight warmth you are looking for then buy a blue foamy. It literally weighs "nothing" its just bulky, but will cost you far less than an Exped downmat.
I find my Big Agnes pad to be warmer than my thermarest, there is much more air between you and the ground, but I would still carry my blue foamy for camping on snow.
Ive spent a night shivering in temps hovering around zero on a thermarest in a -20 sleeping bag. But in temps much lower with the blue foamy under my thermarest I have spent many a night with my sleeping bag zipper undone.

It's not the thermarest to look for warmth, its a closed cell pad that will keep you warm.

----------------------------------------
hakuna matata
post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

is there a difference between the yellow and blue pads? I've heard the yellow ones are better for snow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Not sure, I have both, and my blue one is thicker than my yellow one.
Ive found both to be effective for warmth.
They'll be able to advise at MEC, Id just be sure whichever one you get it is the same length as your thermarest, which should be full length. That way either your feet (or your head) arent hanging off the end, touching any cold ground.

hakuna matata
post #20 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

The Big Agnes pad is NOT just air. If it were so, it would have NO insulation value whatsoever. The one that MEC sells is filled with primaloft. Supposedly, it insulates better than the TR pads of the same weight. The TR self-inflaters have insulation inside them as well.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:49 PM

johngenx, there's still a lot of air in those mattresses, no matter the primaloft of the BA or the ducky feathers of the Exped. Air is air, and the prima/feathers only go so far.

You're giving up some insulation for the sake of comfy, oh so comfy!!, sleep. My solution was to also carry a thermarest (ok, I was testing the combination) and then try one night without the thermarest layer.

I could tell the difference!

I would not risk going outside in the next few months (before the snows stay) without at least a foamy or thermarest ground layer between my exped and my tent. And as for winter, well, the thermarest will be definitely part of my kit.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Red

Has anyone tried the new PINK women's thermarests? Apparently they are thicker through the hip and shoulder area and are slightly warmer. Not sure if this is a gimmick or if there is a significant difference.

You must be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
post #23 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Red..I have the womens Prolite, which is the pink one. Didn't find it any warmer than my old thermarest.
Wasn't happy with it, still woke up with aches and pains, which is why I went for the Big Agnes sleeping pad.

Comfort, oh so comfy!

hakuna matata
post #24 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: cycling, hiking (snowshoeing in Winter), skiing, cooking, gardening,photography, etc. etc. and motorcycling, too

Well, I purchased a Big Agnes pad today. It did feel more comfy than the thermarest just lying on it on the floor in MEC. They also carry a down filled sleeping pad for twice the price but it is also rated for more warmth.

I guess I will find out just how comfy my new pad is in 2 weeks. I splurged and also got a down bag. Here's hoping it will live up to its claim for warmth.

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Somewhere between pomp & circumstance, British Columbia, Canada.
Interest: Hmmmm?

I bought the BA pad last week and tried it out this weekend at Joffre. I liked the pad but found I was just about hyper-ventilating trying to blow it up. You need either a pump or patience...I'll take the latter as is weighs less.

Animals are my friends...and my friends taste good barbequed!
post #26 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 02:48 PM

What about the therm-a-rest ridge rest pad to go with the prolite infalting one. Does this make for a comfortable and warm option?
post #27 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

I've never done it, but I've heard it suggested many times. you can also just go with a cheap foamie under your thermarest, its cheaper than getting the ridge rest
post #28 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, snowshoeing, cooking, eating ;-)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Moses

I bought the BA pad last week and tried it out this weekend at Joffre. I liked the pad but found I was just about hyper-ventilating trying to blow it up. You need either a pump or patience...I'll take the latter as is weighs less.

Animals are my friends...and my friends taste good barbequed!
Just saw this on the OR website, a pump/pillow, neat idea

http://www.orgear.com/home/style/hom...ped_mats/15093
post #29 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

My goodness. I started this thread a long time ago.
I have long since given up my Big Agnes for the Exped downmat, after experiencing nothing but problems after that trip. It kept going flat, and sleeping on snow I'd wake up shivering.
I still carry a blue foamy with me in winter. I swear by it, even though the exped is a pretty warm sleeping pad.. comfort wise, the BA is comparable, so long as you can keep air in it!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page