Hiking Poles VS Ski Poles - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Default Hiking Poles VS Ski Poles

My question may seem a bit wierd, Is there a difference between Hiking Poles and Ski Poles?

Any advice would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Scaling New Heights

Send a message via MSN to bigfish

I use ski poles. They are old and orange. I have no complaints whatsoever. I believe some hiking poles are telescopic which may be useful. But I'm not about to shell out $100-$150 for poles just because they're made for hiking. In my opinion, ski poles perform the same task - easing pack weight by up to 40% (so I've heard) and helping out your knees. Of course they also obviously provide stability for those clumsy moments [8D]

----------------------------------------
Yes, time flies. And where did it leave you? Old too soon...smart too late.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 09:03 PM

Udjustability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Summit Master

ski poles are adjustable too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ZeRoDeAd

My question may seem a bit wierd, Is there a difference between Hiking Poles and Ski Poles?

With hiking poles the tips are replaceable and the baskets removable. Some have a shock absorbing spring but I'm not convinced about the value. The grips are different too and some have long grips so you can adjust the length without adjusting.

Some ski poles are adjustable (for backcountry touring). They're expensive too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Quote:
quote: ski poles are adjustable too.
Indeed they are. I have a pair of flourescent orange adjustable ski poles that also double as avalanche probes; albeit cumbersome avy probes. I bought them at MEC back in the 80's, but I've also used them for hiking poles.
I would guess that ski poles are for the most part more rugged and therefore heavier than hiking poles. Most hiking or trekking poles today come in 3 sections, so there are two adjustable components to a hiking pole. Not sure if adjustable ski poles are traditionally tri-sectional.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ZeRoDeAd

I can only think of a few differences:
  • Cost
  • Material used for handle (ski poles are used with gloves)
  • Some hiking poles have 'antishock'
  • Size of basket
  • Some hiking poles are 3-section, while adjustable ski poles are 2-section (doesnt fit into a pack as nice
  • Hiking poles are sometimes sold as singles, with a single pole being four times the cost of a good pair of ski poles!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

AWESOME everybody! Thanks for the input, Cost was a real consideration in my decision for right now. I think that I will continue to use my Ski poles and see if can convince the wife that I need Treking poles.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 06:46 AM
Off the Beaten Path

One of the guyes I hike with plays in an adult hocky league; old sticks are always laying around the rink so he gathers them up, sharpens one end, and brings a bundle to our hikes. They are cheap and used to high-sticking those show-offs who don't show no respect

I did read an ad somewhere about the effect the "antishock" pole makes -- especially on the knees going down hills.

Happy Trails! BD
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

I love punishing myself going up hill but I hate being punished for going back down, will hiking poles really save the knees? I've always scorned the trendy hikers with their glow in the dark gators and gortex lined contact lenses but I recently bought myself this brand new invention called a "headlamp"... and let me tell ya, I saw the light. It was reflecting off the thread of gob dangling from the lense of the flashlight in my mouth and eventually it occurred to me how bad it was beginning to taste. (Insert PrincetonTec Aurora headlamp here)

I have to say there is a possibility that some of this scorn directed at my fellow hikers who 'have', may be due in part to my decision to be a 'have not' hiker. I love my new Sweetwater filter pump too, I know what puddles of stagnant, mosquito infested water tastes like after adding chemicals or boiling and theres no denying... a chilled Corona with a lime stuffed down it's neck tastes much better.

Could hiking poles be next [:0]
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:42 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: this and that, here and there I may be boring, but i\'m never really bored... and that\'s all that matters. Isn\'t it?

When I hike with poles I barely have contact with the grip (except when going descending)...much like X-cntry style...the strap is important to me. I used to use ski poles more. The collapsible trek poles are good when you have to strap them on the pack and bring out the axe etc.. I rarely adjust them once they're out...I just grip them in various ways if the terrain changes. Can't be bothered with adjusting them...and im' not growing any taller either =P

Quote:
quote:I think that I will continue to use my Ski poles and see if can convince the wife that I need Treking poles.
hehehe

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Baddoc48

One of the guyes I hike with plays in an adult hocky league; old sticks are always laying around the rink so he gathers them up, sharpens one end, and brings a bundle to our hikes. They are cheap and used to high-sticking those show-offs who don't show no respect
I used to save the wood shafts in the hope of making beautiful (IMO) furniture..but I think sharpening one end is closer to my woodworking ability. I already have poles, so my wood stakes would be for those bloodsuckers... I hear they're out in full force right now on the trails.

----------------------------------------
The tougher the climb, the better the food tastes. -Lupin-
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, scrambling, biking, running, swimming, snowshoeing, snowboarding, x-country & backcountry skiing,

ski poles 5$ at any used goods store... tough to argue with that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page