BC = BC Rockies O'Hara '21: Duchesnay to Cathedral - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 4 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2021, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default O'Hara '21: Duchesnay to Cathedral

Last of Big 3 larch hikes (Skoki, Sunshine, O'Hara) I try to do every September. In summer of 2015, when I still foolishly measured quality of outdoor time by peakbagging standards, I scrambled Consummation Peak in Cathedral basin. Noting beauty of terrain and abundance of larches around Monica Lake I knew I'd return in Autumn one year to properly explore the area. I smoked the access road -- 9km to Linda/Cathedral junction -- in less than 1.5hrs, zooming by several groups of 30-35yrs younger people (Something will eventually kill me like everybody else, but it won't be heart disease). Took first break at Linda Lake, and things just kept getting better from then on. At Cathedral prospect junction decided to visit Duchesnay Basin I surveyed from Consummation. Duchesnay trail is much less defined and periodically disappears completely -- likely does not see much traffic. But top of this alpine area below Mt. Stephen is such an extraordinary place & I had lunch break in total solitude. Still wanting to enjoy larches by Monica Lake I noticed very easy highline route climbing on grass to backside of Consummation & took it. This is far superior access for Consummation than normally used Cathedral Prospect trail which is very steep; in addition there is fair amount of scree on south side of the peak, while the backside has only 10 or 15min of bash to the summit. From the saddle at Consummation backside it was familiar territory: Rarely visited Consummation Tarn, followed by very awkward boulder field crossing, and finally reconnecting with Cathedral Prospect trail above Monica Lake. Crossed Monica outlet then hiked up grassy bench below Cathedral that hosted several small tarns that could not be seen from below. On return also did loop around Linda Lake, before slogging down O'Hara road. Very long and tiring day , but what a beauty. Photo story:

Click image for larger version

Name:	lindacathedralportrait.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	288960
[Mt. Odaray Reflected in Linda Lake]

Name:	lindalarches.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	772.7 KB
ID:	288958
[Very beautiful stand of golden larches at far end of Linda Lake; loop trail junction is here]

Name:	duchesnaypano.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	288962
[Vast alpine area at top of Duchesnay basin, not often visited]

Name:	duchesnay2consummation.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	767.6 KB
ID:	288964
[Easy access to backside of Consummation peak from top of Duchesnay basin -- grass hiking only]

Name:	consummationsaddle.jpg
Size:	749.6 KB
ID:	288968
[Backside of Consummation Peak; Mt. Odaray behind upper right]

Name:	consummationtarn.jpg
Size:	733.2 KB
ID:	288966
[Very rarely seen Consummation Tarn]

Name:	consummationboulderstop.jpg
Size:	770.2 KB
ID:	288970
[Top of awkward boulder slope on east side of Consummation Peak; do NOT attempt to cross this unless you are experienced in such places. With snow cover / moats, or if wet, it would be very dangerous. Take your time and test every bit of rock you place your foot on]

Name:	consummationbouldersback.jpg
Size:	796.2 KB
ID:	288972
[Looking back after crossing the boulder field that took 30 minutes of quite focused work]

Name:	monicalake.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	805.8 KB
ID:	288940
[Descending to Monica Lake after scrambling down from Cathedral Prospect. After crossing Monica outlet I hiked up that grassy bench at far side that had several small tarns]

Name:	monicaoutlet.jpg
Size:	884.0 KB
ID:	288942
[Monica Lake outlet; there is no more trail here either]

Name:	odaraymonica1.jpg
Size:	680.8 KB
ID:	288948
[Mt. Odaray reflected in small pool of water by Monica outlet]

Name:	monicabasinpeaklabels.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	714.8 KB
ID:	288938
[Spectacular views to Core O'Hara basin, with many Rockies giants towering above: V - Mt. Victoria (classic backdrop of Lake Louise), H - Mt. Huber, L - mighty Mt. Lefroy, W - Wiwaxy Peaks, Hb - Mt. Hungabee, N - Mt. Neptuak (one of 10 Moraine Lake peaks, directly above Wenkchemna Pass), B - Mt. Biddle and S - Mt. Schaffer]

Name:	oharaopabinzoom.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	731.0 KB
ID:	288952
[Lake O'Hara Telephoto, with Mt. Hungabee upper left and Mt. Biddle right corner. Opabin Plateau with Opabin Glacier center]

Name:	oharahungabeezoom.jpg
Size:	714.9 KB
ID:	288950
[Another telephoto from Cathedral bench with towering Mt. Hungabee the most prominent peak on the Horizon]

Name:	cathedraltarn.jpg
Size:	750.2 KB
ID:	288974
[One of several tarns below Mt. Cathedral, which I made my turnaround point]

Name:	monicatopodaray.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	695.0 KB
ID:	288944
[Hiking down to Monica Lake with spectacular Mt. Odaray in your face]

Name:	lindaloop.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	629.9 KB
ID:	288956
[Linda Lake from small rise on south side on return]

I didn't take GPS so it might be a bit hard to picture entire route, but here is the mock-up map:

Name:	routemap.jpg
Size:	551.5 KB
ID:	288954
[L - Linda Lake, D - Duchesnay Basin, C - Consummation Peak, M - Monica Lake]

Will end this report with following: While Opabin Plateau is likely best O'Hara larch destination (and one of best alpine basins overall in the Rockies), concentration of larches around Monica lake surpasses it & is well worth the visit specially when looking to dodge the crowds; I suspect this won't be my last time here either.
martin, Mr. B, solo75 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 09-26-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2021, 11:39 PM
Hittin' the Trails

How fortunate we are, to live where we can experience this majestic landscape. Wonderful trip report, sussing out the off-trail gems. The photos of the larches and the magnificent mountains in the background are truly stunning. Thanks for this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2021, 04:46 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post

[Mt. Odaray reflected in small pool of water by Monica outlet]
Great shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2021, 10:44 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Spectacular views to Core O'Hara basin, with many Rockies giants towering above: V - Mt. Victoria (classic backdrop of Lake Louise), H - Mt. Huber, L - mighty Mt. Lefroy, W - Wiwaxy Peaks, Hb - Mt. Hungabee, N - Mt. Neptuak (one of 10 Moraine Lake peaks, directly above Wenkchemna Pass, B - Mt. Biddle and S - Mt. Schaffer
You skipped G, R and Y and I think that's D behind N. It's great to see a new angle on some old friends.

Great TR, and fabulous photos that, as always, provide inspiration for future trips.

Last edited by VicB; 09-28-2021 at 10:50 AM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2021, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicB View Post
You skipped G, R and Y and I think that's D behind N. It's great to see a new angle on some old friends.

Great TR, and fabulous photos that, as always, provide inspiration for future trips.

And I even scrambled Y at a time (loose final ridge). But pic is already a bit cluttered ;=)

What do you know about Duchesnay Pass? At Cathedral Prospect junction there was park table with sign "Duchesnay Pass Alpine Route", so it is probably traveled - by mountaineers likely.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 1.27.16 PM.png
Views: 87
Size:  390.0 KB

But it looks awful steep from O'Hara side
Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 1.28.08 PM.png
Views: 89
Size:  351.3 KB

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 1.32.16 PM.png
Views:	3
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	289032

That talus slope is 45 degrees or more, would be hell to get up that way but I couldn't see other way
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2021, 04:14 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I've wondered about that pass too but have not been there. After seeing that picture I'm not likely to try. I've only been around the north side of Odaray on skis and the picture does not inspire that option either.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2021, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicB View Post
I've wondered about that pass too but have not been there. After seeing that picture I'm not likely to try. I've only been around the north side of Odaray on skis and the picture does not inspire that option either.

Little Odaray (moderate scramble) is on my list for yrs, but it's kinda long day if you are going to walk that road both ways; and booking space at O'Hara campground is next to impossible. (While there were people with suitcases waiting for bus to take them to O'Hara lodge cabins)

Apparently Mt. Duchesnay is climbed from O'Hara side via Duchesnay Pass and according to Rick Collier is no more than class 2/3 https://bivouac.com//TripPg.asp?TripId=5400
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2021, 03:42 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Great report as usual! Thanks for the lunchtime larch fix
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2021, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Great report as usual! Thanks for the lunchtime larch fix
Thanks martin. Your larches are coming up in few weeks, Manning trip would be nice :=)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2021, 07:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Thanks martin. Your larches are coming up in few weeks, Manning trip would be nice :=)
We headed up to Manning for larches last year, trying to car camp was a complete fiasco with way too many people and multiple closed campgrounds. I have a plan B this time though hopefully it will happen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page