AB Nor = Alberta Rockies North (Jasper & Willmore) Bald Hills, Jasper - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2021, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Bald Hills, Jasper

Maligne Lake was my introduction to Rockies way back in 1992; still remember the excitement I felt walking Schaffer Loop still not knowing how that little walk will shape rest of my life. Needless to say I am very particular to the area & even if it is one of largest tourist traps in the Rockies it is still very special; no visit to Jasper can go by without driving up to the lake.

Bald Hills is delightful alpine on west side of the Lake. Good trail, in fact old forest road leads effortlessly to the alpine. I've been there before, but on the eve of Tonquin backpack I thought I'd revisit. Trailhead is shared with Skyline, ~1km from main tourist parking & lodge. Loop of a sort is possible; Patton&Robinson advise heading up on the road and descending via the shortcut trail but I found that shortcut quite tedious & would rather ascend that way. At any rate you exit to alpine within an hour and then you can go as far as you like. There are several bumps but just like the first time I went here ~10 yrs ago I followed main artery across some delightful meadows to "Bald Highpoint" that had sizeable cairn. It is real shame it was hazy, because in late afternoon / early evening when sun casts that 45 degree angle this is such a superb viewpoint of Maligne area. Mozzies were quite bad - taste of things to come next several days in Tonquin. Some photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	treelinepano.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	287722
[Pano looking south upon exiting to alpine, just over an hour via longer route]

Name:	meadowstrail.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	765.0 KB
ID:	287720
[Trail through the meadows towards "Bald Highpoint" stays below first bump]

Name:	baldridgepano.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	287712
[Pano of Maligne Lake corridor from ridge just below Highpoint]

Name:	baldsummitcairn.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	610.4 KB
ID:	287714
[Large cairn at "Bald Highpoint". It is possible to drop on the other side and wonder aimlessly for many hours]

Name:	baldsummitmaligne.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	606.8 KB
ID:	287716
[View down to Maligne Lake from "Bald Highpoint". Note beautiful little tarn tucked in alpine bowl below]

Name:	meadowsback.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	724.1 KB
ID:	287718
[Hiking back through great Rockies summertime meadowland on return]

Took 4.5 hrs return with 16km total distance and ~700m vertical. Usual Map and Elevation Profile:
Name:  baldhillsmap.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  217.6 KB

Name:	baldhillselevation.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	287730

Regardless of your interest and level, I highly recommend this little trail. Try to visit on a crisp autumn day and if you have full day even better as there is much room for further wondering.

Full report with high-res photos and GPS Track download link here

Last edited by zeljkok; 07-31-2021 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2021, 01:15 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Me and the wife just ticked off this classic on a mid week “classic long weekend”. We decided to pack up from Canmore and escape the smoke in Jasper. It was partially successful.
Having not explored Jasper other than the Skyline and Valley of the Five Lakes, we decided to hike Bald Hills, Edith Cavell Meadows East Ridge and Sulphur Skyline.

All in all, effort for reward is fabulous for all 3 hikes. A beautiful area all round and gave us a better understanding of the area and how much more it has to offer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page