AB Cen = Alberta Rockies Central (Banff & David Thompson) Fairholme Benchlands - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2021, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Fairholme Benchlands

How many times did you drive towards Banff from east and approaching that signature water tower looked at long open montane ridge on north side? Well, good trail actually runs down that ridge. Terrain is open and gets a lot of afternoon sunshine, so it is already mostly dry. You approach from Johnson Lake; cross the outlet but then instead of turning left into lakeshore trail continue past the picnic area and follow what seemed like it might have been a road once. Within minutes you are at Benchlands and views literally explode. Rundle range is directly across, to the right is Cascade Mtn and then down left in distance are Canmore area peaks. I went at least couple of km; trail dips gradually and you are almost at Trans-Canada level when big fence comes in; erected to prevent wildlife crossing. I turned back here, but driving back I looked closely past the fence & think one might continue for who knows how many km, maybe even to Carrot Creek drainage. On the other side bit of trail also descends towards Water tower, but looking from the car I don't think it connects entirely as there is canyon to cross; this would be a good loop from Johnson Lake, as there is official trail, used by mtn. cyclists, to Water Tower (with advertised ending at Cascade Ponds, 3.5km from Johnson parking). Couple of pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	benchlandsmatrix.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	960.2 KB
ID:	284632
[View down wonderfully open Benchlands Ridge stretching from several km from point where you first see it]

Name:	erosion.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	835.6 KB
ID:	284628
[Typical eroded escarpment; quite steep at places]

Name:	fencesign.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	568.8 KB
ID:	284626
[Electric fence for wildlife & place where I turned back from my walk]

Name:	cascadeview.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	766.4 KB
ID:	284630
[Delightful late afternoon views of Cascade Mtn climbing back gentle open (and dry) ridge]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2021, 10:53 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Very nice shots.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2021, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Interesting natural art work in those eroded benchlands.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2021, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Cascade Water Tower Trail

Many times I've seen trail sign at Johnson Lake outlet leading over Fairholme Benchlands ridge to Cascade Ponds via Water Tower, but never checked it out. Enticed by awesome experience few weeks earlier, as on initial post of this thread, decided it was high time to do so. Parked at Cascade Ponds; it is a bit unclear where trail starts & I had to do some guesswork. Basically cross the wooden bridge across the ponds, turn left then at outwash go right and find good size trail climbing up the shoulder. This is the largest elevation gain of the day, but still trivial. It was bit tricky as hard ice was covered by wet snow, but I made it. What followed is delightful hiking on mostly open montane ridge leading to that Water Tower, seen many times driving on Trans-Canada near Banff. Pics:

Name:	cascadepondspano1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	285734
[Cascade Ponds (pic from last year). Water Tower Trail rises the forested ridge upper right]

Name:	cascadetowertrail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	907.8 KB
ID:	285732
[Great view back to Cascade Mtn as trail crests the ridge. Cascade Ponds are in lower part of photo]

Name:	rundletowertrail.jpg
Size:	842.7 KB
ID:	285724
[Rundle Range at other side of Bow Valley]

Name:	watertower.jpg
Size:	709.3 KB
ID:	285722
[Water Tower. Old weathered Parks Canada sign here informs you 3.9km to Cascade Ponds, 1.7km to Johnson Lake. I didn't have GPS on me, but I suspect this is not quite right based on my fairly strong sense of distance. I think it is less]

From Water Tower old road leads in ~15min or so to Johnson lake. Passing by noticed this little gem

Name:	anthracitesign.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	833.2 KB
ID:	285738

However, peeking over saw only this old weathered tin can

Name:	anthracitecan.jpg
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	285740

At Johnson Lake sat at picnic bench and had late lunch / early dinner. This is one of my favorite local places, so pristine any time of year and something just keeps calling me over and over. Even if not planned, did usual loop around the lake, with side trip down to meadows where I disturbed group of deer. Really enjoyed this part with warm spring sunshine after several cold days. South side of the lake was slushy

Name:	johnsonoutlet.jpg
Size:	658.2 KB
ID:	285726
[Outlet of Johnson Lake. I always sit here on wooden bench and get lost in thoughts gazing at distant peaks of Fairholme Range]

Name:	fairholmemeadow.jpg
Size:	817.2 KB
ID:	285730
[Interesting view at Lake Minnewanka peaks from south side. Peak in the middle intrigues me; it is just an outlier of Mt. Girouard, but I suspect view from the top must be fantastic. No reference I know off exists about the way up, hiking guidebooks or personal sites. It is probably just a steep hike, but these lower slopes could be bad bushwhack. I am not sure which ridge (L or R) would be better; after snow melts I'd actually be inclined to try gully in the middle halfway up, then swing to the left. Stay tuned]

On the way back followed obvious trail from Johnson Outlet; this leads to hidden, quite lovely waterfall/cascade of Johnshon creek very few people know off. It will be right at the bridge on right side, 3-4 min from the lake

Name:	johnsoncascades.jpg
Size:	930.4 KB
ID:	285728

Note that if you start this hike from Johnson Lake, you are likely to make a mistake. If you follow trail by above waterfall, you will simply end at valley floor by fenced Trans-Canada with nowhere to go

Name:	aspenby1.jpg
Size:	850.4 KB
ID:	285736

Correct way from Johnson Lake is obvious gravel road just before outlet bridge (coming from parking lot).

I did not take GPS, but here is rough map of the route, taken from trailpeak
Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.17.09 PM.png
Views: 54
Size:  234.2 KB
[Cascade Ponds to the left, Johnson Lake right]

Return is the same way and I estimate return distance to be ~10km with ~100m vertical. I probably did close to 15km for delightful afternoon walk.

Finally I must point out that Fairholme Benchlands past Johnson Lake, as described on top of this thread, are seasonally closed April 1 - July 15; there were signs posted at couple of places, so please check and respect this closure.

Full report with high-res pics covering both Water Tower trail and South Benchlands here

Last edited by zeljkok; 04-29-2021 at 02:35 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page