AB Cen = Alberta Rockies Central (Banff & David Thompson) Dolomite Shoulder - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By solo75

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2021, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Dolomite Shoulder

I learned of this one from "Confessions of a Ski Bum". This is a ski site; I am not a skier, but being familiar with the area and with low avalanche ratings I figured I could snowshoe up. And what a trip it turned to be! Fab conditions, not too cold or windy with fantastic views. "Trailhead" is few minutes north from Mosquito Hostel. There is no parking but there will always be cars lined up at the shoulder & it is hard to miss. Crux, sort of, is actually crossing steep snow bank at road side - after that there is highway of ski tracks heading through the forest in direction of the bowl at backside of Dolomite Peak. After about 40-45min as grade leveled off there was well defined snowshoe track heading left(west) - it appears I was not the only one with this idea! Next part is steep and awkward rise to subalpine & it could be quite dangerous with unstable snow conditions. Rest was just amazing walk up snow slope criss-crossed with many skier tracks. Final bit is the only challenge; steep bit and I traded snowshoes for micro-spikes so surmount this hurdle. Mildly exposed bit just before the "summit" made me take out the axe, but it was short. Photos tell the story:

Click image for larger version

Name:	subalpineshoulderviewback.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	655.1 KB
ID:	283762
[Shoulder with view down the Icefields after the steep bit to get up through subalpine; this is logical spot for first break]

Name:	alpinetrail.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	558.1 KB
ID:	283754
[Continuing up on a well broken track; "summit" is obvious bump in upper center]

Name:	summitpanoback.jpg
Size:	986.6 KB
ID:	283758
[Fab views back down the Icefields as I get higher; Noseeum left, Andromache and Hector behind]

Name:	summitblock.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	533.5 KB
ID:	283760
[Approaching the "summit" block with final steep bit in sight]

Name:	finalsteepslopedown.jpg
Size:	610.3 KB
ID:	283770
[Looking down the steep bit; my snowshoes are roughly in center. It is considerably steeper than this photo might suggest]

Name:	sketchybit.jpg
Size:	524.9 KB
ID:	283764
[Sketchy bit just before the top; left side is fairly steep and slip would not be a good idea. Thankfully track was quite deep and it was short]

Name:	summitviewback.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	668.4 KB
ID:	283750
[View back from the summit; What a Day!]

Name:	dolomitepano.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	729.5 KB
ID:	283774
[Pano north from the "summit"; Dolomite Peak left, wonderful alpine valley below had many ski tracks]

Name:	dolomitetowers.jpg
Size:	565.1 KB
ID:	283772
[Closer look at Dolomite Towers; summer scramble access is from the other side. One might continue following rotten ridge from here, but I don't think it would be feasible to scramble from the base]

Name:	oxopeak.jpg
Size:	601.2 KB
ID:	283766
[Closer look at Oxo Peak rising east of Dolomite Bowl]

Name:	willingdoncrown.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	491.4 KB
ID:	283756
[Willingdon / Crown telephoto in Siffleur area. Fact that you can see this probably speaks the best of non-trivial height of "Dolomite Shoulder" (2715m). Note all the ski tracks off Puzzle Peak in foreground; this would be awesome snowshoe trip as well]

Name:	molarzoom.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	599.6 KB
ID:	283768
[Telephoto towards Molar Pass area, with Cataract Peak on Horizon just right of center. Deluc Peak to the left, and far in the distance extreme left I believe are Bleat / Snort in Roaring Creek area]

Name:	andromachehector.jpg
Size:	633.8 KB
ID:	283752
[Andromache (L) and Hector (R) telephoto]

Descent was quicker, but I took my sweet time on steep subalpine slope. Total time was ~5 hrs, 8.5km +650m according to GPS. Map and Elevation Profile

Name:	dolomiteshouldermap.jpg
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	283776

Name:	dolomiteshoulderelevation.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	283778

Finally, word of caution: There is avalanche risk. Don't go here if avi rating is anything but low. Also final bit will not be for everyone liking; carry micro-spikes and take snowshoes (or skis) off below summit block and continue on foot. Ice axe will be peace of mind on brief exposed bit.

Full report with downloadable GPS track link, more high-res photos, and alternate discussion here
martin and solo75 like this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 02-21-2021 at 03:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2021, 08:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Just a thought...a lot of these photos would also look good in black & white. I usually convert to B&W if contrast is great & lack of different colors.
zeljkok likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2021, 09:44 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Awesome pictures! Looks like a good bang for the buck hike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2021, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

thanks guys

If or when you make that Rockies summer trip, remember word Mosquito (kinda doesn't sound too good, lol). It's about 20 min north of Lake Louise, there is hostel and first come car camping; area is simply hiking/backpacking heaven

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page