KC = Kananaskis Country Rummel Lake Hike - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Rummel Lake Hike

After cancelling plans to go out last week, due to the cold, Great Divide Girl and I braved the weekend traffic only to discover, despite sunny skies, it was minus 19 at the Rummel Lake trailhead. All the usual parking areas on the way there featured long strings of cars. Bundled up, we hit the packed trail wearing spikes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6965.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	283316

Lots of snowshoe traffic was evident but we discovered later on, most of these folks had doffed their snowshoes and carried them. A tip to bear in mind.

Name:	IMG_6967.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	283320
Commonwealth, Pig's Tail and Birdwood

We'd been up this trail in the fall, as far as the bridge, to tag Little Galatea on a soggy day. That misadventure was chronicled here earlier.

Name:	IMG_3642.jpg
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	283318
Little Galatea

The folly of carrying a camelback water source with an exposed hose at these temperatures was demonstrated. At the lake there were a couple stomped down areas where some folks had winter camped. Ice crystals covered all the vegetation which was attractive.

Name:	IMG_6969.jpg
Size:	947.3 KB
ID:	283322

After a snack it became evident that standing around admiring the scenery was going to be chilly and we soon hit the trail.

Name:	IMG_6966.jpg
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	283314
Galatea

A couple skiers passed us on the way down. There were lots of ski tracks through the second growth area lower down and it looked like fun was had. Knowing how that area is strewn with logs and spiky branches, Iím content that my crash and burn ski days are mostly done.

Name:	IMG_6968.jpg
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	283324

A low tire back at my car saw me limp to the Fortress station but their hose was frozen. I limped further, to emergency services opposite Nakiska, and the kind lads there filled my tire up. A tip 'o the hat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page