3Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Grotto Creek Canyon

North side of Bow Valley has several canyons that penetrate deep into ridges of Fairholme Range. Grotto Creek Canyon is one of these, and well known family hike starting from Grotto Pond day use area on 1A just west of Exshaw. Winter is the time to go because of couple of frozen waterfalls, popular with ice climbers. It is also good choice on a windy day because you are completely shielded.

Only drag are inevitable crowds -- screaming children, dogs etc but you leave all this behind as canyon opens up past the waterfalls. Good compacted trail and I really enjoyed casual walk for several kilometers eventually calling it a day just before the forks. On return enjoyed watching couple of ice-climbers. Spikes were helpful but not really required. Photos tell the story:

Click image for larger version

Name:	entrance.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	724.5 KB
ID:	283168
[Canyon entrance, Grotto Mtn. behind. This is about a kilometer of wide pathway from Grotto Pond passing Baymag plant along the way. You descend and turn right here]

Name:	canyonwalls.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	761.9 KB
ID:	283164
[Some impressive canyon walls. In late spring this part is usually impassable and there is bypass trail in the woods on the right side]

Name:	icefalls.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	755.3 KB
ID:	283174
[Couple of frozen waterfalls (think Daffern calls them "His" and "Hers"). This is where 95% of the crowds turn back. Nice side canyon is on the right (out of picture) with much taller waterfall where all ice climbers go]

Name:	pastnarrows.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	697.8 KB
ID:	283176
[This is looking up as the canyon opens up. Was completely by myself from here on, although whale of a trail was broken]

Name:	cave.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	741.9 KB
ID:	283166
[Cave on left (west) side soon after; even if you don't plan on going into upper canyon it is worth going at least to here. It is ~15min past the waterfalls]

Name:	turnaround.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	283178
[Near the turnaround. Trail was fading at this point. Prominent peak in center is Grotto Mtn. outlier. Canyon splits soon with main branch continuing right towards Fable]

Name:	iceclimbers.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	755.2 KB
ID:	283172
[Ice climbers putting up a show and I really enjoyed this for few minutes (although they are probably annoyed by people staring]

I don't know exact stats, wrist watch reported ~300m vertical and I estimate ~3-4km each way from parking.

Now bit of discussion for more adventurous types. How far can you go, and can you actually penetrate Grotto / Fable ridge system? Here is google map

Name:	grottocanyonmap.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	616.6 KB
ID:	283170

"Ice Climb Area" is where waterfalls are and crowds turn back. Red line is approximately my track. Would it be possible to head left at the forks and try to get up ridge between Grotto main peak and "Grotto SE"? I don't think so; this aerial shot from Gap Peak taken this spring suggest steep terrain and cliffs (center right):

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 1.09.30 PM.png
Views:	43
Size:	902.4 KB
ID:	283182

Right branch looks bit more promising. I know some people sometimes trash down from Gap peak that way. But could you head all the way to top of valley and then scramble topping up near north end of "Gable" ridge? This shot -- again from Gap Peak -- suggests it might be possible, although you can't see all of it (upper left):

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 1.10.30 PM.png
Views:	30
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	283180

If possible, this would bypass knife-edge "Gable Ridge" which is dangerous and very exposed scramble. I have not heard of anyone actually doing it, but this does not necessarily mean it is impossible as crowds are typically obsessed by Kane published routes and not thinking to try something on their own.

At any rate, Grotto Creek Canyon is worthy few hours excursion regardless how far you go. Detail trip report with high-res photos as always here. Happy New Year everyone!
solo75 likes this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 01-03-2021 at 09:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2022, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Mid March '22

Strong wind in Bow Valley - perfect time to go seek shelter in ice canyons. Spikes were necessary - would be quite unsafe, maybe impossible without traction as large section of canyon floor leading to icefall area was skating rink. Continued past the cave to upper canyon, but snowdrifts made progress increasingly difficult. Eventually made it to maybe 10min past turnaround point in initial post, but still before the forks. On return - major surprise. Just when I thought entire walk will go it total solitude - couple of ice climbers doing night climb! Couple of shots:

Name:	iceportrait.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	590.4 KB
ID:	291090
[Totally iced canyon floor leading to icefall - best illustration why spikes were mandatory. There was also one slushy area near the icefall]

Name:	sidecanyonup.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	648.2 KB
ID:	291094
[Side canyon to the right of Icefall I explored in initial post, but this time it looked more difficult. Much steeper than photo suggests]

Name:	icefallportrait.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	534.0 KB
ID:	291088
[Icefall - little did I know I'd find night ice climbers on return]

Name:	granitewalls.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	667.1 KB
ID:	291086
[That really impressive section just before canyon opens up; need to try to get here when water is flowing for different kind of shot]

Name:	thecave.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	581.0 KB
ID:	291096
[Cave wall; trail became increasingly difficult past this, but still signs of traffic, probably before latest snowfall]

Name:	nighticeclimb1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	509.3 KB
ID:	291092
[Night ice climbers! Handheld shot at ISO 3200 turned way better than expected. Quite a show, but icefall is not very tall]

I need to come back here when snow/ice melt to explore canyon to the end and maybe estimate feasibility of scrambling to Gable ridge. Stay tuned
solo75 likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2022, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

First half of Dec '22

Catching a break between round of 16 and 4-finals of World Cup in Qatar, went for quick walk up Grotto creek canyon. Hard-packed wide trail from Gap pond parking past the Baymag plant to the canyon, then single track further up. Just as I thought I carried spikes for no reason came that last bit before waterfalls - sheet of ice, not long but spikes made things easier. Went up the side canyon for which spikes were also great help, then after coming down continued past "His" and "Hers" icefalls and soon exited the slot. I had enough time & thought I'd make it to the forks, but trail significantly deteriorated with snow drifts and eventually completely vanished by the cave - seems this was as far as recent traffic went. I continued a bit further up but after postholling quite a bit decided to turn tail. Back by the waterfalls enjoyed couple of girls scaling the ice before returning to the car. Pics:

Name:	dec_icefloor.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	669.0 KB
ID:	295407
[Ice slab just before the waterfalls - only bit where spikes were needed]

Name:	dec_upperfalls1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	694.7 KB
ID:	295409

Name:	dec_upperfalls2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	670.8 KB
ID:	295411

Name:	dec_upperfalls3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	722.0 KB
ID:	295413
[These 3 are of the icefall in side canyon, really love this spot. Can't go any further though as there is cliff right past the icefall]

Name:	dec_iceclimb1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	525.9 KB
ID:	295403

Name:	dec_iceclimb2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	606.3 KB
ID:	295405
[These 2 are of ice climbing girls; the one on ice couldn't make it to the very top & said last bit was very hard. Her partner went up after she descended, but I didn't stay long enough to see how high she was going to get]
solo75 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2024, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Second half of Feb '24

Ice almost from Canyon start all the way to the Waterfalls, but soft, slushy with small ribbons of water flowing - testimony of what kind of winter it's been. Spikes were necessary, but I also got feet wet from stepping in just too much flowing water. Just one small group of kids coming back from the Falls. Well broken trail in upper canyon and I kept going. As usual trail worsens the further you go, eventually became just one set of footprints. I still kept on going, postholing but determined to get to the forks - and I did. On return it was quite magical with full moon reflecting off canyon walls and illuminating the way. Couple of shots

Name:	iceriver.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	302341
[Ice River approaching the Waterfalls. This part is always frozen, but this time it was also super slushy]

Name:	hisherscomposite.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	302343
["His" and "Hers" composite, 4 frames stitch. Nobody climbing today]

Name:	canyonfalls.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	302345
[Look back to Waterfalls area from upper Canyon]

Name:	canyonback.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1,019.7 KB
ID:	302347
[View back as canyon opened up, right by that cave where I planned to turn back. So I put camera in the bag, but kept going and made it to the Forks. McGillivray upper right, Heart to the left]

I really have to come back sometime when snow melts and go as far as possible.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page