KC = Kananaskis Country Watridge Lake / Karst Spring Snowshoe - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Watridge Lake / Karst Spring Snowshoe

Great Divide Girl and I headed back to Kananaskis with snowshoeing in mind. We stopped at Kananaskis Village to query about the new pass that's meant to finance track setting on the various ski trails. It's $50 annual, available online only, or $10 per day. The passes were not available yet, and not required as track setting has not started. How this is going to be monitored and enforced remains to be seen.

We headed up the Smith Dorrien aiming for the Mount Shark trailhead and the wide "trail" to Watridge Lake. The trail had been prepped by a snowmobile pulling a packing roller. We encountered this coming back our way later on and noticed on our return that packing was being done on all the Mount Shark ski loops.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6910.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	282332

Snowshoes were not really warranted and others had hiked in, but we wanted to re-awaken our snowshoe muscles which we soon discovered had atrophied over the summer. It's a 5.5 km trudge to the Lake over mostly flat ground with a few ups and downs thrown in. It took us an hour and a half to the lake which hasn't been frozen all that long by the looks of things.

Name:	IMG_6913.jpg
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	282334
Watridge Lake

Name:	IMG_6914.jpg
Size:	978.8 KB
ID:	282336
South Summit, Cone Mountain

Name:	IMG_6915.jpg
Size:	968.4 KB
ID:	282338
Mount Morrison

After a snack we headed off on the trail to Karst Spring. This initially features a lot of narrow board paths over what is probably bog in the summer. Narrow boards and snowshoes aren't much fun and we walked beside them, back and forth. At the lake outlet creek bridge, we had no choice but to side step.

Name:	IMG_6918.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	282340

Heading into the woods, the Karst Spring creek was open. Green moss made a nice contrast

Name:	IMG_6919.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	282342

Name:	IMG_6921.jpg
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	282344

The final steep hill to the spring would be tricky in icy conditions but we managed fine and soon made it up to the bench and rails beside the spring. The water comes out at the base of a cliff. Daffern refers to this as the largest karst spring in North America.

Name:	IMG_6928.jpg
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	282346

Name:	IMG_6929.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	282348

Name:	IMG_6930.jpg
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	282350

Heading back, we really noticed our snowshoe muscles, or lack thereof, and it felt like a long haul indeed, though enhanced by some mountain views.

Name:	IMG_6931.jpg
Size:	791.3 KB
ID:	282352
Mount Nestor

Name:	IMG_6933.jpg
Size:	825.6 KB
ID:	282354
Mount Engadine

Now that we are primed, we'll have to see where more snow might lead us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 04:41 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicB View Post
We stopped at Kananaskis Village to query about the new pass that's meant to finance track setting on the various ski trails. It's $50 annual, available online only, or $10 per day. The passes were not available yet, and not required as track setting has not started. How this is going to be monitored and enforced remains to be seen.

I heard about that too. Probably someone from parks will do a round of couple of parking lots on weekend (Shark, Elk Pass, etc) & look if people have pass on dash. Just like any paid parking lot

Edit: What if you are going somewhere else and NOT x-country skiing, thus NOT using any of their groomed trails? I.e. few yrs back I parked @ Shark, crossed frozen Spray Lake, then went up Mt. Fortune (full report here -- late winter / early spring is best time for this because Spray ice is solid thick & no danger walking across). What happens now? Will "pass" still be required just to leave car @ Shark?? This was not bright idea IMHO

Last edited by zeljkok; 11-19-2020 at 09:52 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 01:09 AM
Hittin' the Trails

The purchase of a parking pass is voluntary, there will be no enforcement. Volunteers, organized by Nordiq Alberta, will be at the parking lots to provide information. This has nothing to do with Alberta Parks, as they opted out of funding grooming, although current Parks staff are operating the grooming equipment. The paid parking only applies to people actually using the groomed trails, if you don't walk or snowshoe on groomed trails, this is a non-issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 02:19 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by avens View Post
The purchase of a parking pass is voluntary, there will be no enforcement. Volunteers, organized by Nordiq Alberta, will be at the parking lots to provide information. This has nothing to do with Alberta Parks, as they opted out of funding grooming, although current Parks staff are operating the grooming equipment. The paid parking only applies to people actually using the groomed trails, if you don't walk or snowshoe on groomed trails, this is a non-issue.

Are you sure about that? I find opposing info online. I.e on Calgary Herald

https://calgaryherald.com/news/parki...trail-grooming

Quote:
A one-year trial with Nordiq Alberta will require skiers to pay $10 a day or $50 for the season to use trailhead lots at Peter Lougheed, Spray Valley and Sheep River provincial parks and the Evan-Thomas recreation area

This does not sound like voluntary to me. However in different post:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...skis-1.5786146

Quote:
A voluntary parking pass program in Kananaskis Country will cost cross-country skiers $10 a day, or $50 for a season pass, and will support grooming on popular ski trails in the area

The new voluntary parking fees will help Nordiq raise the funds and reimburse Alberta Parks for the grooming operations.

it indeed sounds like an option.
post #5 of (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Totally sure it is voluntary, I was remiss in not posting this link for info, check out the FAQ.

https://www.kananaskisgrooming.ca/
post #6 of (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by avens View Post
Totally sure it is voluntary, I was remiss in not posting this link for info, check out the FAQ.

https://www.kananaskisgrooming.ca/

Indeed. It is quite hidden in FAQ, so by reading main page You'd still think pass was mandatory. I guess it makes sense, they want ppl to think they have to pay. VicB probably thought so as well.

This winter it is pilot to see how it goes, but next winter I suspect it will not be voluntary anymore. Personally I don't care as long as they let me park without pass if I'm going snowshoeing & not using groomed trails.

Thank you!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page