KC = Kananaskis Country Mist Ridge - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Mist Ridge

In her Kananaskis Guide book Daffern calls Mist Ridge "one of finest ridge walks in K-country". I am all for ridgewalks, and being probably last really warm summer day of the year I finally went to check it out. Ridgewalk is really nice (although Mackay Hills are better), but problem is that reaching Rickert Pass at north end you are left >10km away from trailhead & usual valley floor return via Mist Creek is mind numbing. It is still very nice and views of Sheep valley, Mt. Gibraltar and Burns on east side is great under afternoon light. Reaching south col under hot temps (30 Celsius at least) was quite taxing, but once on the ridge breeze picked up and made walk very enjoyable. I bypassed South Summit on west side trail, apparently judging by dirt tracks used by crazy mtn. bikers, but should have really stayed on ridge crest. Best part was around North Summit and sub-sequent drop to Rickert Pass. I made short work of Mist Creek return (~2hrs for 10km or so); this trail is really wide and for most part roots/bog free & you can really pick-up speed. Photo story:

Click image for larger version

Name:	southsummitpanoback.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	278688
[Looking back at south summit from mid-point. If you are looking for shorter outing it is possible to simply loop around south summit and return same way you came up]

Name:	gibraltar.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	730.0 KB
ID:	278676
[Gibraltar Mountain from mid-point. Goal would be to approach via obvious grassy saddle center left, by dropping east somewhere near North Summit of Mist Ridge (not go all the way to Rickert Pass)]

Name:	gibraltarpano.jpg
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	278678
[Panoramic View of Sheep Valley, Gibraltar (right) and Mt. Burns (left)]

Name:	ridgecoral.jpg
Size:	807.9 KB
ID:	278686
[Very nice coral someone built just below North Summit -- a bivi spot?]

Name:	northsummitdescent.jpg
Size:	820.6 KB
ID:	278680
[Descending from North Summit towards Rickert Pass (low point, dead center) where Mist Creek trail joins in]

Name:	rickertcross.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	631.6 KB
ID:	278684
[Cross at Rickert Pass. Trail drops quite steeply on the other side]

Name:	rickertbeer.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	767.5 KB
ID:	278682
[Someone left refreshments at Rickert Pass - most welcome! Mt. Burns left]

Only water source on highline route is ~4.5km mark, so carry lots. 3L on hot summer day is probably not enough. There are couple of creeks on Mist Creek valley floor return though.

Some possible extensions from Rickert Pass are Burns Mine (3.0 KM) and Denning's Cabin another 3.5 KM for a total, round trip, back to Rickert's Pass of 13.0 KM. This would be extremely long day & probably out of reach for most people. Same as Gibraltar Mountain scramble -- see this report. More feasible is ascent of next bump north from Rickert Pass, as Bob Spirko did.

Map and Elevation profile for day total of ~25km and ~1100m cummulative elevation, 7.5hrs that left me quite tired at the end considering hot temps:

Name:  mistridgemap.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  295.1 KB

Name:	mistridgeelevation.jpg
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	278692

Alternate report with more photos and downloadable GPS Track here
martin and solo75 like this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 08-08-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 09:02 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I really like Mist Ridge, it is an annual hike for us. When one gets to Rickert's pass, it is worth while to hike up to the centre bump of the ridge coming off of Storm, you pass below the bump just north from Rickert's pass, and keep going on a faint trail and then boot it up to the ridge, when the trail vanishes. Once up top, there are really great views of Mist Ridge and views to the north. Mist Creek trail is dull, but it is a fast and easy exit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by avens View Post
I really like Mist Ridge, it is an annual hike for us. When one gets to Rickert's pass, it is worth while to hike up to the centre bump of the ridge coming off of Storm, you pass below the bump just north from Rickert's pass, and keep going on a faint trail and then boot it up to the ridge, when the trail vanishes. Once up top, there are really great views of Mist Ridge and views to the north. Mist Creek trail is dull, but it is a fast and easy exit.

Thank you; I studied that as I descended from North Summit and saw trail going off Rickert Pass in direction you mention; I was simply too tired as day was very hot.

It is a lovely area with several other ridgewalks. I'll be back as I've been only to Mist Mtn before (too much of a scree slog, even if you tag the summit)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 05:48 PM
Ger
Scaling New Heights

Thanks for the trip report. I have been meaning to do this hike. A friend and I are going out tomorrow to do it and the forecast is good. It will be a great day on that ridge.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 08:49 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Great pictures! Mist Creek return similar to Singing Pass slog down to Whistler Village I guess?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Great pictures! Mist Creek return similar to Singing Pass slog down to Whistler Village I guess?

Guess you could draw that parallel, but I thought Singing Pass trail was bit more entertaining. Maybe because I did Singing slog first thing in the morning when I was all pumped up & time went faster, while Mist slog was at the end of the day when you know all the good stuff is already behind.

This does bring good point -- CW or CCW loop? Most people seem to do slog last on Mist ridge. In Whistler there is gondola & more options (if you are willing to pay)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger View Post
Thanks for the trip report. I have been meaning to do this hike. A friend and I are going out tomorrow to do it and the forecast is good. It will be a great day on that ridge.

Did you go to Mist ridge? How was it?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 03:08 PM
Ger
Scaling New Heights

Yes we did do this hike. It was very nice and did not see a single person all day. It's nice to get away from the crowds. Saw a nice camp spot on the ridge. Didn't see any bears or scat or bighorn sheep unfortunately. We took our time and were out for 11.5 hours and almost had to take out the flashlights at the end. Here are a few pics.
Attached Images

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Very nice; thanks for posting this. This pic shows drop from North Summit really well & extension on north side of Rickert Pass towards Storm Mtn. avens was talking about

Except for near the start, I didn't see anyone either. Parking at Highwood Pass and Elbow Lake in particular were overflowing, but it seems few go south of Highwood Pass.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page