AB Nor = Alberta Rockies North (Jasper & Willmore) Cataract Pass - Cline Pass - Afternoon Lakes - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Just catching up, I really enjoyed this report. Sounds like a perfect 2 night camp. Photo 5-brazeaumiddelta is exceptional! So cool to see the wolverines. I'd like to say I've added it to the list but yikes, 900km drive from Vancouver! Gotta get that retirement thing in works...

Thank you. It is definitely worth. Once free time becomes non-issue because of retirement, annual couple of Rockies trips would be something I feel you'd enjoy a lot (even if Coast alpine is equally spectacular!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Scaling New Heights

Thanks for the great trip report and amazing pictures! I've done Nigel Pass as a day hike, but now I want to get back there for a multi-day trip.
I have a few questions:

- Do you think this area would be a good first trip to bring someone with no scrambling, routefinding or wild camping experience (they have done backcountry camping trips on more established trails and campgrounds)? Or would it be too challenging?

- Is it possible to ridgewalk / scramble from the Valley of the Lakes lookout up Mt Willis? What about in the other direction (SW from the col)?

- Is there a way to get into Valley of the Lakes? (If yes - can you exit the valley on the other side towards MacDonald creek?)

Thanks again!
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdp View Post
Thanks for the great trip report and amazing pictures! I've done Nigel Pass as a day hike, but now I want to get back there for a multi-day trip.
I have a few questions:

- Do you think this area would be a good first trip to bring someone with no scrambling, routefinding or wild camping experience (they have done backcountry camping trips on more established trails and campgrounds)? Or would it be too challenging?

The route up to and over Cataract Pass is definitely more difficult than the average hike, but should be feasible if one of you has the necessary experience. There is a well-beaten trail most of the way. The two rockslides are probably the most challenging obstacles, requiring short bouts of easy scrambling. It's especially important to be equipped for bad weather, as the route from Nigel Pass is almost entirely above treeline. I would allow at least 6 hours from the Nigel trailhead to the nearest camp on the White Goat side of the pass.

Quote:
- Is it possible to ridgewalk / scramble from the Valley of the Lakes lookout up Mt Willis? What about in the other direction (SW from the col)?
I haven't done Willis, but there is another option worth considering. The valley east of the east fork of Cataract Creek is well worth visiting, and offers a scramble to the prominent peak on the southeast flank of the lookout. I've sketched the route on a photo from the previous page,

Quote:
- Is there a way to get into Valley of the Lakes? (If yes - can you exit the valley on the other side towards MacDonald creek?)
I've attached a quick photo of the White Goat map that shows routes into Valley of the Lakes and connections with McDonald Creek. It seems to me the easiest, but by no means easy, exit is westward around the north side of Afternoon Peak, back to Brazeau River.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	White Goat Wilderness.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	278752  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHector View Post

The valley east of the east fork of Cataract Creek is well worth visiting, and offers a scramble to the prominent peak on the southeast flank of the lookout. I've sketched the route on a photo from the previous page

Actually I looked at that directly from below & it appeared too steep and loose to ascend. If you look more carefully report on prev. page, I labeled this area "best day trip from Cataract bivi"; I stood right where grass changes into talus and had really great view. Going around, as in red line on pic below is way better:

On the right side of photo is another col that can be used for access to Afternoon Lakes valley (out of picture). It is steep but might be feasible. There is low angle alpine on another side and huge lake (bivi?). Lots to explore

Last edited by zeljkok; 08-10-2020 at 01:31 PM.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 08:34 PM
Hittin' the Trails

We day-hiked to the tarn below Cataract Pass yesterday, what a sensational hike! We thought we would hike along with no firm destination, and turn around when we had enough, but it was so amazing, we didn't want to leave. Also, I really wanted to see what was around the corner at the end of the valley, below the pass, and it was a spectacular view of the tarn below Cataract Pass and the wall of mountains. The various colours of rock along the way are wonderful.

Thanks very much for posting about this hike, we never would have hiked toward Cataract Pass otherwise. We did three hikes on a small camping trip this past week, and this was by far our favourite hike. I am really wanting to get up and over Cataract Pass now.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by avens View Post
We day-hiked to the tarn below Cataract Pass yesterday, what a sensational hike! We thought we would hike along with no firm destination, and turn around when we had enough, but it was so amazing, we didn't want to leave. Also, I really wanted to see what was around the corner at the end of the valley, below the pass, and it was a spectacular view of the tarn below Cataract Pass and the wall of mountains. The various colours of rock along the way are wonderful.

Thanks very much for posting about this hike, we never would have hiked toward Cataract Pass otherwise. We did three hikes on a small camping trip this past week, and this was by far our favourite hike. I am really wanting to get up and over Cataract Pass now.

Very glad to hear you had great trip! That tarn is source of Brazeau river & would be great bivi spot as well. You must be quite fit to be able to get there and back in a day. Think best pure hiking (no scrambling) backpack would be loop, in via Cataract Pass and out via Cline Pass; it emerges somewhere below Four Point CG @ Brazeau loop. Only real issue unknown Brazeau River ford, but prob. ok late in summer.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 06:18 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the additional info, really want to go back there and go further. Here are a few pics from our hike. We are really old, so I think most people could do this as a dayhike. If we had not hiked so much the two days prior, we likely would have taken a crack at Cataract Pass.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nigel onward 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	278826  

Name:	Nigel onward 2.jpg
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	278828  

Name:	Nigel onward 3.jpg
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	278830  

Name:	Nigel onward 4.jpg
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	278832  

post #23 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Age is just a number. There are 20 yr olds that can't climb flight of stairs without getting out of breath. Too much time texting on social media lol

It is also possible to backpack from other side of pass down Cataract creek to Pinto lake, then back to highway via Sunset pass. Need 2 cars, but stellar trip otherwise.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Comment about McDonald creek exit to Brazeau, as in dotted line in upper left part of the map:

Poking around a bit, Rick Collier has done 7 day backpack in remote White Goat & exited this way. This is a shot down alpine in upper McDonald creek; Valley of the Lakes would be somewhere center right behind the ridge, out of view:

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 1.17.35 PM.png
Views: 65
Size:  623.8 KB

Full link to this very interesting album, too bad there is not more info / map of a sort:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/399900...th/6261909321/
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 10:43 AM
Scaling New Heights

Thanks for that last comment, I'm hoping to be able to do a 5-6 day trip in the area when I get the chance (after covid I guess....).
My dad and brother day-hiked to the tarn last week and I think they have a new favourite.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 11:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Traveling, Kayaking, Hiking, Biking

Awesome report...well have to give Nigel Pass a go sooner than later...looks fantastic
I really enjoyed seeing the Wolverines
post #27 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Awesome report...well have to give Nigel Pass a go sooner than later...looks fantastic
I really enjoyed seeing the Wolverines

Thank you. Nigel Pass would be perfect day-hike for you, with brief peek up Brazeau canyon.
Hope all is good & Brook is still flowing strong

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page