AB Cen = Alberta Rockies Central (Banff & David Thompson) Lake Annette to Lake Louise - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Lake Annette to Lake Louise

I am having really great time with all these hiking restrictions. Normally you need elbow pads if you want to go hiking in Lake Louise area & I stopped going there in season long time ago. But this year is different and revisiting all the old trails I am reminded once again how spectacular hiking area this really is. Moraine road still closed (think reopening June 24?) and knowing I'm likely to have trails to myself I set for little hike up Paradise Valley. I did not bring the bike -- trailhead is only ~2km up the road so I just powered it up in 20min or so. Idea was to maybe get to Giant Steps for some photography -- I even packed the tripod -- but pair of Park officials coming back from some trail maintenance told me trail was quite snowbound past Lake Annette. No matter, I still enjoyed Annette in total solitude & also clambered on plateau above the lake on south side for different perspective. (Little Temple was likely good to go, but I was fairly sure drop on south side to Temple Lake would not be so I bailed out on that). Couple of pics from this part:

Click image for larger version

Name:	templeannette1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	866.0 KB
ID:	276958
[Lake Annette and Mt. Temple as you first see it as trail tops by lake outlet. This is ~6km from Moraine Trailhead]

Name:	templeglacier1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	742.9 KB
ID:	276960
[Telephoto of mighty Temple Glacier]

Name:	annettehorizontalpano.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	276974
[Horizontal pano from SW side of the lake. Total solitude, really enjoyed it]

Name:	chipmunk1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	836.3 KB
ID:	276970
[Lunch time companion. Well accustomed to human food and bold. After I'd not let him get to my lunch, he started licking my hiking pole. btw this pic is with new inexpensive 50mm lens, my first prime lens & optically superb. You lose flexibility telephoto lens have, but gain on image quality. It is also F1.8]

Name:	annetteverticalpano.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	276972
[Vertical pano of Lake Annette from shelf below Little Temple]

Then I set for return, and on a whim turned up Sheol / Louise connector. Figuring my car is down the road anyways & I could do a loop; besides Paradise - Sheol - Saddleback connector is one trail I never hiked before. Things like this happen often to me; I knew trail was likely not in shape, but what the heck how bad can it be. Well it was quite bad and I am likely first person to pass here this season. But Sheol valley I've not been to before is so beautiful!! Wild and desolate under Mt. Sheol / Haddo peaks. Nature work at bottom of huge avalanche slope was amazing. Lots of snow and blowdowns from avalanches --- if Parks really maintains this trail, they will have lots of work on their hands. Finally topped up on Saddleback, now familiar territory. But worst was here. Super soft wet snow descending on other side. I was afraid of moats and not without reason; despite probing with my pole ahead I sank once all the way & spent 10 minutes digging myself out. There was never any real danger, but it was uncomfortable. Luckily I spotted pair of boot prints -- someone hiked up from Louise side -- so I followed that, and even if they were postholling too it gave me advance warning of places to avoid. Snow eventually cleared up as trail dipped into forest and remainder of descent to Lake Louise was uneventful. Lots of blowdown here too. Pics from this part:

Name:	sheolvalley1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	814.7 KB
ID:	276962
[Entering beautiful Sheol Valley. Note still frozen Waterfall center left]

Name:	sheolavalanche1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	902.2 KB
ID:	276966
[Avalanche work. Think someone died here in winter couple of years ago]

Name:	sheoltopback.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	813.2 KB
ID:	276964
[Top of Sheol valley trail not far from Saddleback with great views back to Haddo peak]

Name:	saddleback.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	753.7 KB
ID:	276968
[Descending on Saddleback -- this was the worst part. Nature work is visible on bent trees here as well. Actually Fairview would not be so bad once you make it to Saddleback]

From Louise walked down the road ~2km to my vehicle at Moraine Rd. Junction. Not sure about the stats, estimating ~20km (incl. road walking) and ~800-900m vertical.

As far as Moraine Rd. goes, I'd be first to vote to leave it closed permanently year - round. Have regular shuttles and allow cycling.
CEB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Closures certainly have their upside, solitude can be wonderful and enjoy nature more in depth without the crowds that flood the trails. You certainly have a lot of beautiful country to ramble around.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page