AB Nor = Alberta Rockies North (Jasper & Willmore) South Boundary Trail - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By howesthehike
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default South Boundary Trail

Evelyn and I just finished one of Jasper's longest and most epic trails. 120+ km. No resupply. Amazing!

Trail was in better shape than expected. I'll share a few images here, but the full trip can be seen on our youtube channel - howesthehike. Happy to answer any questions too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	269376  

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	269378  

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	269380  

Kokanee75 and ColdBrook like this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 08-07-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:49 PM
Summit Master

Watched your movie; whole 2:26 (over couple of days). Just want to say Evelyn is a-w-e-s-o-m-e. Teenage girls her age (what is she - 16-17?) spend their days texting on iPhone, shopping for clothes etc etc and she is out there with her dad 10 days in total wilderness, fording rivers, getting soaked up and eaten alive by bugs, making fire, watching wolves chasing deer and best of all she seems to be really enjoying this. Huge thumbs up!

Couple of questions:
-- 10 days with no resupply is 10 days. Was your diet mostly dehydrated meals?

-- Camps first 5-6 days. No cables for food cache? (So you need to have your own or bear canisters / ursacks)?

-- What is the deal with access from Jacques Lake to South Boundary? I day hiked to Jacques some years back and that is not a problem. Unpassable washouts/fords past Jacques because of 2013 floods?

-- You talk about it but I still can't agree with fording rivers with hiking boots on. I don't care if you have gators, your feet did get wet and leather boots won't dry that fast, specially if you have rain overnight. Did you consider Keens instead of crocs? Keens give you quite a bit of stability which was from what I gathered main reason you decided to ford creeks with boots on.

Some suggestions for future:

-- Try to do real close-up of park tables, so that viewer of the movie can actually read what it says. You don't have to keep it there as I can pause the movie, but bring it up close for a sec or two.

-- As you obviously enjoy wilderness, try to graduate to higher elevation trails. South Boundary is classic Jasper, but it's just too much walking in the woods. There are many backpacks in the Rockies where you can have whole 4-5 days in the alpine (think Jonas/Poboktan, but whole day long). Things like this won't be described in Patton/Robinson guide though.

Overall terrific stuff (way, way better than Marty Showboat stuff), and really appreciate campground tours as well as detail views of hardest bits (fords, bridge crossings etc). Makes planning much easier for someone following in your footsteps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

My answers inline below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Watched your movie; whole 2:26 (over couple of days). Just want to say Evelyn is a-w-e-s-o-m-e. Teenage girls her age (what is she - 16-17?) spend their days texting on iPhone, shopping for clothes etc etc and she is out there with her dad 10 days in total wilderness, fording rivers, getting soaked up and eaten alive by bugs, making fire, watching wolves chasing deer and best of all she seems to be really enjoying this. Huge thumbs up!

Wow - the whole thing! Haha. Itís like the movie that never ends... you can tell we donít care about views, etc...

And yes, sheís awesome. And she really did enjoy it. Especially almost 8 full days of total isolation. There is so little of that these days.

Couple of questions:
-- 10 days with no resupply is 10 days. Was your diet mostly dehydrated meals?

Pretty much.

Two oatmeal pouches for breakfast.

A probar snack on the trail

A probar meal replacement for lunch.

Some Ritz cracker peanut butter thingies for an afternoon snack.

A camp snack to be shared upon arrival of instant mashed potato or stove top stuffing

And yes, a mountain house, backpackers pantry, alpine air, or happy yak (Quebec) dehydrated supper

Less than 2k calories per day. Helpful for Dadís tummy

We do not like to ďcookĒ or be bothered with that. Food is fuel.

-- Camps first 5-6 days. No cables for food cache? (So you need to have your own or bear canisters / ursacks)?

For 7 days no. Not until Brazeau River. There were poles between two trees, so we hung a ZPacks bear bag over it and also used an URSack as well (hung as directed) Too much food for one bag!

-- What is the deal with access from Jacques Lake to South Boundary? I day hiked to Jacques some years back and that is not a problem. Unpassable washouts/fords past Jacques because of 2013 floods?

No official access. No. You MIGHT be able to do it if you wanted , but the floods and fires pretty much destroyed the track. Very sad.

-- You talk about it but I still can't agree with fording rivers with hiking boots on. I don't care if you have gators, your feet did get wet and leather boots won't dry that fast, specially if you have rain overnight. Did you consider Keens instead of crocs? Keens give you quite a bit of stability which was from what I gathered main reason you decided to ford creeks with boots on.

I hear you and I do not disagree. I just decided to alter my plan. Hike your own hike right?

Our boots are Salomon Goretex and leak little themselves. Gators leak like crazy of course so we wear waterproof socks on days we might have to do this. I do think on this hike with Eve this was the best choice. Boots got wet by being flooded from the tops , but feet stayed dry some days. Got wet others when the socks could not keep up

Some suggestions for future:

-- Try to do real close-up of park tables, so that viewer of the movie can actually read what it says. You don't have to keep it there as I can pause the movie, but bring it up close for a sec or two.

Thanks. I will do this for sure.

-- As you obviously enjoy wilderness, try to graduate to higher elevation trails. South Boundary is classic Jasper, but it's just too much walking in the woods. There are many backpacks in the Rockies where you can have whole 4-5 days in the alpine (think Jonas/Poboktan, but whole day long). Things like this won't be described in Patton/Robinson guide though.

Weíve seen Jonas and Poboktan when we did the Brazeau loop. I agree though. I am more interested this year with isolation. Less people. Next year I will start exploring white goat and other less travelled areas. For sure.

Overall terrific stuff (way, way better than Marty Showboat stuff), and really appreciate campground tours as well as detail views of hardest bits (fords, bridge crossings etc). Makes planning much easier for someone following in your footsteps.

Thanks so much. We have morphed into tour guides and I am cool with that. Anything we can do to save these trails by hiking them is good by me.

Last edited by howesthehike; 08-20-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: answers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Summit Master

I will put a bug in your ear regarding backpack that is million times more rewarding at least in terms of scenery and ventures deep into seldom visited regions of Banff NP: Clearwater - Red Deer Circuit. There is rudimentary description on page 173/174 of Patton/Robinson book, 7th ed and incomplete map. Much of it travels through area where random camping is allowed. It would go something like this:

Day 1: Icefields to Fish Lakes
Day 2: Fish Lakes to Devon Lakes via Pipestone Pass
Day 3: Devon Lakes down Clearwater valley and camp somewhere en-route, probably Trident Lake area
Day 4: Trident Lake - Peters Creek Junction
Day 5: Peters Creek to Red Deer River via Divide Creek, camp en-route
Day 6: Red Deer River upstream to Red Deer Lakes
Day 7: Red Deer Lakes - Skoki - Lake Louise

(alternative to day 7 is closing full loop by hiking up Pipestone back to Fish Lakes but I think hike out via Skoki is better, as Patton/Robinson mention).

I have done large parts of it, but not Divide - Peters creek link. Here are some photos from various parts, just to make you seriously consider it; roughly 70% of entire thing is above treeline.

[My own GPS track for Days 1,2,3]

[Pipestone River valley (Day 2)]

[Clearwater Pass (Day 2)]

[Devon Lakes wild camp site (Night 2)]

[Lower Martin Lake, Day 3]

[Natural Bridge, short side trip off main trail on Day 6]

[Meadows near Cyclone Ranger cabin on Day 6; Red Deer Lakes camp is nearby]

[Baker Lake on Day 7]

There is also report right here on CT of entire thing, not too many details, but well worth taking a look:
https://forums.clubtread.com/130-can...st-2011-a.html
ColdBrook likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Wow - that looks fantastic. I'm adding that to the list for sure. Thanks for sharing!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Update on this excellent suggestion of yours. I think we may do it this summer. We don’t have firm plans this year because the girls are both starting university in Canada and so our timetable is a bit askew. I’m also doing a trip with Joey again up to Southesk lake and then bushwhacking our way back around to rocky pass - should be fun. So I think I’m gonna take Evelyn and perhaps Olivia out to this idea of yours because I love it. Thanks again for the great suggestion!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:49 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

howesthehike,
I've been watching your YouTube videos for about a year; delighted to know you post here!
The videos are quite helpful for people planning their own trips.

zeljkok,
Thanks for info on the Clearwater-Red Deer Lakes circuit. Wonderful to traverse vicariously, should I not make it there in person.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 12:07 AM
Scaling New Heights

I've given some thought to the lollipop circuit that includes the upper Rocky River trail, but the near total lack of trip reports leave me wondering. It would be very difficult to turn back 5 or 6 days in on a one week clockwise hike of this circuit. Maybe counter-clockwise would be better to allow a bailout if conditions are especially terrible.

I believe Astoria Outfitters includes Southesk Lake on their South Boundary itinerary and probably keeps that part of the trail clear. Maybe they would have some idea about conditions past there.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesthehike View Post
Update on this excellent suggestion of yours. I think we may do it this summer. We donít have firm plans this year because the girls are both starting university in Canada and so our timetable is a bit askew. Iím also doing a trip with Joey again up to Southesk lake and then bushwhacking our way back around to rocky pass - should be fun. So I think Iím gonna take Evelyn and perhaps Olivia out to this idea of yours because I love it. Thanks again for the great suggestion!

Scott Meadows
[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 05:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmeadows View Post
I've given some thought to the lollipop circuit that includes the upper Rocky River trail but the near total lack of trip reports leave me wondering. It would be very difficult to turn back 5 or 6 days in on a one week clockwise hike of this circuit. Maybe counter-clockwise would be better to allow a bailout if conditions are especially terrible.

I believe Astoria Outfitters includes Southesk Lake on their South Boundary itinerary and probably keeps that part of the trail clear. Maybe they would have some idea about conditions past there.

Scott
When you say upper Rocky River, do you mean from Southesk Lake to Rocky Pass, or further north beyond the Rocky Pass turnoff? Astoria Outfitters does go to Southesk via Rocky Pass and they’ve been maintaining the trail, somewhat.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 12:20 AM
Scaling New Heights

Someone at bivouac.com used "Upper Rocky River Trail" to refer to the unmaintained trail between the Rocky River headwaters and the junction of the Rocky River and the Medicine Tent River. I was just going with that nomenclature.

This would be upstream of Southesk Lake to the unnamed pass, into the Rocky River drainage to the Medicine Tent River junction, then up the Medicine Tent and out via Rocky/Cardinal Pass. If you did it clockwise, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
When you say upper Rocky River, do you mean from Southesk Lake to Rocky Pass, or further north beyond the Rocky Pass turnoff? Astoria Outfitters does go to Southesk via Rocky Pass and theyíve been maintaining the trail, somewhat.

Scott Meadows
[email protected]

Last edited by esmeadows; 02-17-2020 at 12:30 AM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 04:20 PM
Scaling New Heights

I think this is the route under discussion.

Name:	Southesk Circuit.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	273328

Woodenshoes did most of this route but exited via Maligne Lake over a high col.

The route into the Rocky River drainage sounds like a mess: "[W]e were in for the ugliest, muddiest, willowbashfest once we descended to tree line again and the Rocky Forks drainage..."

Scott

Scott Meadows
[email protected]
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 09:13 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Iím not sure how much of that trail still exists. I did that loop in the early 80ís and the trail north of Southesk wasnít great then. Gunner, Astoria Outfitters, goes to Southesk lake via Dean Meadows, which Iím not sure where those meadows are. I see Gunner occasionally and I could ask him the next time I see him. I know they go up there every year. I know that the trail from the junction of the Rocky Pass trail north to Rocky Forks is still OK, but beyond that Iím not sure. Sorry that I canít be of more help.

Last edited by lobo; 02-18-2020 at 09:16 AM.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Yes - that's the one. We expect it to be tough north of Southesk. Now, if we can only do it due to the pandemic situation. Tough year for all of us I'm afraid...
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBrook View Post
howesthehike,
I've been watching your YouTube videos for about a year; delighted to know you post here!
The videos are quite helpful for people planning their own trips.

zeljkok,
Thanks for info on the Clearwater-Red Deer Lakes circuit. Wonderful to traverse vicariously, should I not make it there in person.
Thank you! And I've found this forum to be WAY more in depth with experienced people like you guys. That has been SUPER helpful to me.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmeadows View Post
I've given some thought to the lollipop circuit that includes the upper Rocky River trail, but the near total lack of trip reports leave me wondering. It would be very difficult to turn back 5 or 6 days in on a one week clockwise hike of this circuit. Maybe counter-clockwise would be better to allow a bailout if conditions are especially terrible.

Scott
I will look into that. However, last year when we walked past the trail access to Southesk Lake on the South Boundary, there was deadfall right there at the intersection. So it may be that they have not been out there for a while. No big deal of course as we expect to see the track up to Southesk without too much trouble. It's after the lake that will be "interesting"...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page