• 7 Post By mark1
  • 1 Post By solo75
  • 1 Post By PhilR
  • 2 Post By dandurston

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Kakwa Provincial Park - Aug 2-6, 2017

This is a late report of a hastily planned solo trip I did this summer to Kakwa Provincial Park, to escape the forest fire smoke that was blanketing Southern BC at the time.

I was originally gearing up for a backpacking trip to the South Chilcotin Mountains during the first week of August. A couple days before I was set to head out, a change of winds brought all that horrible smoke from the Interior wildfires down to Southern BC. The forecasts predicted the smoke would stick around all week, and images from webcams in the South Chilcotin area already looked like an apocalypse. So I scrapped those plans and scrambled to find an alternative. Northern BC looked to be the only region that was relatively smoke-free... I ended up picking Kakwa in the Northern Rockies, a place that had been on my radar as a backpacking destination for quite some time.

Day 1: 8/2/17

Kakwa Park can be accessed via the Walker Creek Forestry Road, about 135 km east of Prince George, or 70 km west of McBride on Highway 16. From here it is another 73 km along the forestry road to the trailhead at the Bastille Creek bridge. From the trailhead it is a 29 km hike or bike ride to Kakwa Lake, where there is a public cabin.

After a long drive up from Vancouver, my heart sank when I reached the Walker Creek FSR turnoff... a sign at the turnoff indicated that the road was closed at 16km due to a washout. It was beginning to look like this was a waste of a trip! I continued on up anyways to check out the state of the road, and fortunately it turned out that repairs had already been done on the washout, so the road was drivable the entire distance. The first half of the forestry road was actually in pretty good shape, but the second half gets fairly rough (though I did see a VW Golf that made it to within 2 km of the trailhead). It took me about 2 1/2 hours to drive the entire 73 km from Highway 16 to the Bastille Creek bridge. Porcupines can be a problem in this area, so before setting off I wrapped chicken wire around my vehicle to keep the critters away.

Most visitors bike the 29 km to Kakwa Lake, however I hiked in on foot. By the time I hit the trail it was already 4:30pm, so it was too late to hike the entire distance in one day. The trail follows an old mining road that runs parallel to the McGregor River for the first several kilometers. Sections of the trail have been washed away by the river so some bushwhacking is required. There were a few sections that were a bit muddy and wet, but with the super dry weather over the summer they weren't too bad.. I suspect the trail would be much more unpleasant after some major rainfall. Amazing views of the surrounding mountains can be seen on the way up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	View from the Trail.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	242537

Name:	McGregor River.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	242545

Name:	Trail to Buchannan Creek.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	864.8 KB
ID:	242553

About 7 km up the trail I had my only bear encounter of this trip. Two black bear cubs that looked at least a year old scurried up the trees when they heard me coming... fortunately the mother did not make an appearance! Two day later, a pair of bikers coming up had a brown bear encounter nearby, so this seems to be a very active bear area.

At 12 km I arrived at the Buchanan Creek crossing where the park boundary is. The old bridge is washed out so you need to get your feet wet here to cross the creek. The water was a little over knee deep.

Name:	Buchannan Creek - Park Boundary.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	677.6 KB
ID:	242561

By now it was almost nightfall so I set up my tent for the night on the gravel bar alongside Buchanan Creek. One of my favorite parts of camping in the wilderness is the opportunity for stargazing, far away from the city lights. Unfortunately during this trip it was almost a full moon, so most of the stars were washed out by moonlight. However that first night I did catch a glimpse of the Milky Way in the early morning hours, after the moon set.

Name:	Buchannan Creek.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	458.6 KB
ID:	242569

Name:	Buchannan Creek at night.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	242577

Name:	Milky Way.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1,021.2 KB
ID:	242585

Day 2: 8/3/17

The next morning I woke up early to complete the final 17 km to Kakwa Lake. The trail continues on along the old mining road and involves a long, gradual climb that is a little monotonous after a while. As you pass Wishaw Lake, remains of the former mining operations in the park can be seen. Some sections of the trail are quite overgrown now.. need to make plenty of noise to avoid surprising any bears here!

Name:	Overgrown Trail.jpg
Size:	742.4 KB
ID:	242593

Name:	Tote Road.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	242601

Finally, I arrived at the campsite at Kakwa Lake. John Vogt (who wrote the excellent trail guide for the area - http://www.kakwa.jjv.ca/ ) and his wife Joan were back once again as park hosts for a month-long stint, having flown in from Prince George earlier that same day. There are two cabins at the lake, one for the park hosts, and one for public use. The guestbook in the cabin shows that this place gets a lot more visitors during the winter months than in summer. I spent the rest of the afternoon just relaxing by the lake, which is incredibly scenic with the tall mountains in the distance overlooking the lake. Late in the afternoon I was greeted by some unexpected wildfire smoke which started to pour into the area - however it did not last long, as that evening the winds abruptly changed direction when a thunderstorm rolled in, blowing it all back out again. That was the last of the smoke for duration of this trip. I was very happy to have a dry cabin to sleep in that night.

Name:	Kakwa Lake Camp.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	596.2 KB
ID:	242609

Name:	Kakwa Cabin.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	560.9 KB
ID:	242617

Name:	Kakwa Cabin Interior.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	242625

Name:	Kaka Lake reflections.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	242633

An evening thunderstorm:

Name:	Kakwa Lake Thunderstorm.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	242641

Day 3: 8/4/17

It was still overcast the next morning. That day I decided to do a day hike to La Glace Lake, which is approximately 16 km round trip. The trail is well marked for most of the way, with a couple of knee deep stream crossings. A kilometer or two before the lake the trail markings seem to end when you reach a wide open meadow. At the opposite end of the meadow there is a short, steep forested section where some bushwhacking is needed before finally arriving at the picturesque glacial lake.

Name:	Kakwa Wildflowers.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	476.3 KB
ID:	242649

Name:	La Glace Lake.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	242657

Name:	La Glace Lake 2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	242665

Name:	La Glace Lake 3.jpg
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	242673

Name:	La Glace Lake - Wishaw Mtn.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	242681

Name:	Wishaw Mountain.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	663.5 KB
ID:	242689

Name:	La Glace Lake Trail views.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	242697

Name:	Wapamun Lake.jpg
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	242705

That night back at the cabin there was a total of six people spending the night there. In addition, a group from Alberta rode in on horseback and stayed at the nearby horse camp that weekend. By Kakwa standards, it was quite crowded up there! The sky was mostly clear that night and the Northern Lights were briefly visible above the moonlit lake.

Name:	Kakwa Lake Sunset.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	242713

Name:	Kakwa Lake illuminated by moonlight.jpg
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	242721

Name:	Kakwa Lake - Aurora.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	242729

Name:	Kakwa Lake Dock - Aurora.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	242737

Day 4: 8/5/17

With clear skies the next morning, I woke up early to catch the sunrise.

Name:	Mt Ruth Pre-Dawn.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	242745

Name:	Kakwa Lake Dawn.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	242753

Name:	Kakwa Lake Sunrise.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	242761

Name:	Kakwa Lake.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	242769

That day I tagged along with John on a loop hike up and over Mount Ian Monroe and around to Babette Lake. The direct approach up Ian Monroe from Kakwa Lake involves a bit of bushwhacking through sections that were pretty steep, but the view from top sure is worth the effort!

Name:	Mt Ian Monroe.jpg
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	242777

Name:	Looking towards Mt Sir Alexander.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	243025

Name:	Mt Ian Monroe Summit.jpg
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	242785

From there the descent down towards Babette Lake isn't as steep, and in the meadows lots of wildflowers were still in bloom. After following game trails for a bit eventually we joined up with the Babette Lake Road.

Name:	Ian Monroe descent.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	591.9 KB
ID:	242793

Name:	Ian Monroe descent 2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	496.9 KB
ID:	242801

Name:	Babette - Meadows.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	615.2 KB
ID:	242809

Looking back at Ian Monroe from Babette Lake:

Name:	Babette Lake.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	620.0 KB
ID:	242817

Day 5: 8/6/17

The night went quickly and I slept very well, and awoke to another sunny day. On the hike out I made fairly good time and was back at the car in about 8 hours (though having a bike would have made the trip out much faster). For a "Plan B" option this turned out to be a pretty awesome adventure. But with only five days in the park, and three of them spent just getting to and from Kakwa Lake, I barely scratched the surface of what Kakwa has to offer. Definitely a place I need to return to someday!

Name:	GPS Map.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	572.2 KB
ID:	242825

Last edited by mark1; 12-03-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 02:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Nice shots of a beautiful place.
mark1 likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running

OH! What a wonderful write-up!

It is nice to read about an area that I haven't been to before. Lots of lovely photos and descriptions. The photos looking down to La Glace Lake are particularly great. I do like sleeping in a tent when backpacking, but having the cabin is a nice treat, especially since you can do day trips from the central location.

How bikeable do you think the approach to the lake is? You have one photo showing the trail really rather overgrown.

Thanks for sharing!
mtn.mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
OH! What a wonderful write-up!

It is nice to read about an area that I haven't been to before. Lots of lovely photos and descriptions. The photos looking down to La Glace Lake are particularly great. I do like sleeping in a tent when backpacking, but having the cabin is a nice treat, especially since you can do day trips from the central location.

How bikeable do you think the approach to the lake is? You have one photo showing the trail really rather overgrown.

Thanks for sharing!
The route to Kakwa Lake is definately bikeable and I will probably try bringing a bike next time I visit. The first several kilometers would be the worst part with a bike, as some sections of the trail are completely washed out by the river. You'll have to dismount several times. There was only one other stream crossing prior to Buchanan Creek where I had to get my feet wet, but other trip reports on this site show the trail can get much wetter and muddier at times.

After Buchanan Creek the trail is in much better shape but it is starting to get a bit overgrown in places. The overgrown picture I posted above was the worst spot. It is a steady uphill climb so it may be challenging depending on how much gear you're hauling. The other visitors that were at the cabin during my stay all came up by bike. They ended up having to push their bikes up much of the way so the bike didn't save them much time.. took them about 8 hours to get up. A bike would make the trip out much faster though as it's almost all downhill.

Kakwa Lake can also be accessed from the Alberta side though I don't know much about that route.

Here's a few more photos of the trail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trail before Buchanan Creek.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	242857  

Name:	Trail after Buchanan Creek.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	242865  

Name:	Trail after Buchanan Creek 2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	242873  

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Looks great. You have a knack with a camera. Thanks for posting.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:43 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography

wow, I have just added Kakwa to my bucket list of places to go. Thanks for the trip report and the fantastic pictures!

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Although the Park is challenging to access, it truly is worth the effort it takes to get there! Spectacular Rocky Mountain scenery that you can explore in complete solitude.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 01:50 AM
Summit Master

wow. Just saw this now. What a fantastic report! Some of these long exposure shots totally blew me away
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Wow, just read this report now, well done!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:46 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Skiing, Packrafting, Mountaineering

Wow awesome photos! Humbling.

My wife and I were at Kakwa this summer and just missed you. We hiked in from the south on the Great Divide Trail, resupplied on Walker FSR on July 30 and then headed south again:
https://intocascadia.com/2017/08/08/...ldest-rockies/

Nice to see the pictures of La Glace Lake. We didn't have time to explore that side trail but it sure looks great.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandurston View Post
Wow awesome photos! Humbling.

My wife and I were at Kakwa this summer and just missed you. We hiked in from the south on the Great Divide Trail, resupplied on Walker FSR on July 30 and then headed south again:
https://intocascadia.com/2017/08/08/...ldest-rockies/

Nice to see the pictures of La Glace Lake. We didn't have time to explore that side trail but it sure looks great.

Looks like the two of you had a pretty sweet adventure! I saw a few entries in the Kakwa Lake cabin guestbook from thru-hikers doing the GDT, it sounds awesome.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 11:28 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Skiing, Packrafting, Mountaineering

Thanks Mark! Yeah it was a great trip. The section from Jasper to Kakwa is pretty rugged (as I'm sure you can imagine) but well worth the effort.

I'm working on some videos from the thru-hike now. It'll be another week or so until I'm done the video for the Kakwa section, but here is the episode I finished today:
martin and mark1 like this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 05:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Fantastic trip report!
Kakwa is one of many areas I hope to explore eventually.

Coming from Alberta, 30km route from Deadhorse Meadows to the north end of Kakwa Lake (and 11km more to the cabin on the South side) seems preferable to me, especially if on the bike. I haven't heard of any challenging fords on that route. A short detour to Kakwa Falls (allegedly the largest and most scenic waterfall in Alberta) is a bonus.

Anyone ventured to Kakwa Lake that way?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page