Crossing Boom lake on skiis - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Crossing Boom lake on skiis

I have a thing for crossing frozen back-country lakes in winter. Snowshoe across Garibaldi lake on BC Coast to Sentinel Bay to this date ranks as one of top 10 trips I've done in my life on global scale. In the Rockies I have upper K-lake and Spray lake lined up, but for last trip of 2015 I thought I'd visit Boom lake. Earlier this August I did a quick jaunt up there and picked up faint trail that continues along north side (just past the slide one takes as Kane access for Mt. Bell). That trail was initially reasonably good, but eventually faded out in deadfall and awkward side-hilling around small bays (remnants of several primitive campsites here too). I never made it to far end as it was getting too difficult. In contrast, winter trip makes it so easy -- you just glide across frozen lake; about 2km (1 way) in straight line. Ski tracks went about 2/3 of the way to nice icefall coming down huge avalanche gully below Mt. Bell. I continued on my own across fresh powder to far end -- about 30-40 minutes only from end of hiking trail at east end. Very pristine and beautiful -- only regret, this time of year -- you gotta be here mid-day when sun is still in the east to avoid afternoon shade when sun moves behind Mt. Boom. Couple of pictures:

[East end of the lake from end of hiking trail; pic taken on return]

[Boom Mountain from little bay below Mt. Bell about 2/3 of the way across]

[Fabulous glow at sunset looking east towards Storm Mtn]

Bit about the trail. Variety of users -- skiers, snowshoers and boot tracks as well. Well packed, but as far as skiing goes this is couple of notches harder than trackset nordic skiing you do at Mt. Shark or Canmore Nordic center. It is wide enough but there are steep sections, some uneven bits and couple of deadfalls. Most challenging bit is directly above the parking as it is steeper and there is one sharp curve. Going in I witnessed several people wiping out in opposite direction; it is definitely not for beginners.

High res photos and downloadable Map here

Happy 2016 to everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redstormwide.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	112850  

Name:	boombaydusk.jpg
Views:	2577
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	112858  

Name:	boommtnwinter.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	112866  

Last edited by zeljkok; 01-02-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 12:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
I have a thing for crossing frozen back-country lakes in winter. I thought I'd visit Boom lake.

Happy 2016 to everyone!
What a beautiful spot. Your TR's are among the ones i always look forward to. Here's hoping for an epic outdoor year

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:44 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

+2, thanks and Happy New Year :-)

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks guys!

Looking around a bit more, this area is very interesting to explore in winter. At the other side of Boom Mtn is Chickadee valley, which Vern used as approach during winter ascent of Mt. Boom. Crossover between Boom lake and Chickadee valley is also possible - as shown in this report. This one seems suited only for very advanced back-country folks & conditions must be right as there is real avalanche danger.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page