User Tag List

4Likes
  • 3 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Marmot Creek Waterfalls

Not so much as far as hiking goes, but if you are photographer and like taking shots of waterfalls, this one is for you. Trip 20 in K-country Trail guide (new edition, blue). Drive to Nakiska, then park at Stoney Trail parking lot, take signed wide trail to Troll Falls, then up Marmot creek on right side. Was super surprised how pretty it is; many waterfalls and cascades, and then higher up deep canyon and bluff clearing with views of Kananaskis valley. Word of caution: Daffern mentions metal bridge across Marmot Creek at top of canyon, but that is history post floods. Sturdy log and someone has fixed a handline for stability. Whole thing can be done in 1 - 1 1/2 hours, but if plan at least 2. Some pics:

[Cascades of Marmot creek]

[Marmot Falls]

[Boulder Falls]

[Troll Falls]

[Double Falls]

Late afternoon / early evening is great for light, because whole thing will be in shade as sun has already set behind Mt. Allan so you can get that long exposure for smooth and silky water ribbons. Take your polarizer and tripod (which will be useful as hiking stick for stability when hoping across log jams in creek bed). Will be back in winter to check out what winter does to this canyon, when everything is frozen, so watch this space. Micro-spikes minimum will probably be required then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cascades1.jpg
Views:	5758
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	94858  

Name:	double1.jpg
Views:	2225
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	94866  

Name:	marmot1.jpg
Views:	1740
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	94874  

Name:	troll1.jpg
Views:	1761
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	94882  

Name:	boulder1.jpg
Views:	1870
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	94890  

vern.dewit, solo75 and seboyle like this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 01-15-2021 at 01:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 11:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Nice pics! I didn't know a polarizer would be useful for for these types of pictures.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Nice pics! I didn't know a polarizer would be useful for for these types of pictures.
Thanks! Polarizers are useful whenever water is involved - helps eliminate glare / reflections. And of course to help with long exposure if it's too bright.

This is probably discussion for photography forum, but I keep polarizer on most of the time & take it off only if I don't have a tripod & it's getting dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Beautiful Photos!

I have only been through there in winter! I also didn't know the name of Marmot Falls until now. They look stunning when frozen over... I hike through there at night as well as day time...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Revisited this area with slight variation. From parking at Stoney Trailhead walked the Hay Meadows trail; it is much prettier than standard Troll Falls trail, and has some beautiful open viewpoints of Kananaskis River some 15 minutes from parking. Continued along Stoney trail to junction with Skogan Pass trail, then turned sharp left and up (huge fresh bear scat here) and followed for about an hour to historic Hummingbird Plume lookout. On descent followed Marmot ski-road, then descended the Marmot creek back to Troll Falls. Couple of pictures from June '16:

[Kananaskis River from Hay Meadows]

[Site of historic Hummingbird Plume lookout; dates back to 1930]

[Kananaskis Valley pano from viewpoint just below the lookout]

[Most beautiful Marmot Creek waterfall on descent. This is one of shots I am most satisfied with]

[Troll Falls; easy to understand why they are so popular, but if you come around sunset you might have it to yourself and light conditions will be optimal for waterfall photography (did you bring the tripod?)]

Full report is on my personal site with more high-res images, map and downloadable GPS track.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	haymeadows.jpg
Views:	1271
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	142890  

Name:	lookoutpano.jpg
Views:	1159
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	142898  

Name:	marmot2.jpg
Views:	1380
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	142906  

Name:	lookoutbench.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	142914  

Views:	1461
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	142922  

lobo likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Mid January '21

Read on local website that 'frozen Troll Falls should be visited at least once each winter'. I've actually never been here in winter so I thought I'd see how it all looks like in different season. There are quite a few changes too compared with original post; what was once just a rudimentary trail above Troll Falls to upper Marmot Creek is now tourist highway with wood railings, switchbacks, etc. It is still very nice and well worth, if you can dodge the crowds. I went late afternoon & this paid off; had it mostly to myself. Pics tell the story:

Name:	raptorviewpano.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	283332
[Raptor Lookout site by Kananaskis River; each spring lots of eagles, hawks etc can be observed here on their migratory route. G8 summits on the other side]

Name:	collembolaridge.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	635.9 KB
ID:	283330
[Mount Collembola from Raptor Lookout Site]

Size:	676.1 KB
ID:	283334
[Troll Falls; think I still prefer when water flows and aspens above the grotto are green]

Name:	trollnose.jpg
Size:	720.9 KB
ID:	283336
[This is why they call it "Troll Falls"]

Name:	uppertrail.jpg
Size:	853.0 KB
ID:	283340
[Upper Trail with wood railings]

Name:	upperfalls1.jpg
Size:	684.0 KB
ID:	283338
[Upper falls; very neat to walk behind the sheet of ice]

Sign just above upper falls said "End of route" but broken trail continued. Following I intersected trackset Skogan Pass road & looped back to Nakiska, giving up Hummingbird Lookout extension.

Micro-spikes are a must for this few hrs excursion in winter; you will probably have better light in first part of the day, but way more solitude in the afternoon.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 09:30 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Mid January '21
I think I still prefer when water flows and aspens above the grotto are green
...or see if you can catch the falls when it's partly frozen with some water flowing. I guess you will have to wait until spring. Over here, it has been mild lately (up to 8*C) and snow has receded to the mountaintops.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
...or see if you can catch the falls when it's partly frozen with some water flowing. I guess you will have to wait until spring.

I might come back mid-April for Golden Eagle migration. This is the interesting page by Rocky Mountain Eagle Research Foundation (RMERF)

http://eaglewatch.ca/the-eagles-jour...rvation-sites/

First pic on that page is same place as pano I posted by Kananskis River; it is simple 15 min walk from parking (and then Falls are another 10-15 min from there). If you ever make that Rockies trip, this would be well spent few hours without hiking too much.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page