Rockbound Lake-Stuart Knob-Mitella Lake-Baker Creek(BNP) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Rockbound Lake-Stuart Knob-Mitella Lake-Baker Creek(BNP)

I'm filing this because I found the trip beta for approaches to Mitella Lake in BNP to be non existent. This could be due to the decommissioning of the Baker Creek trail and/or the lack of any trail from Baker Creek to Mitella Lake. To be clear, we did not approach via that way but rather descended. We chose to approach via Rockbound Lake, summit Stuart Knob and then enjoy a spectacular 3.4km ridge walk due north to a 2748m point at "11u 0571960 5690430". From there it's 5km of pure splendour descending through several cliffbands in a NW direction to the headwall above Mitella Lake.

Again, because of the lack of data the last thing I wanted was us having to retreat from the headwall after walking 20km. So I brought a rope, harnesses and some gear to do a rap/lower IF we had to. Turns out we had to, but only because different people have different tolerance levels to exposure. Once that task was completed it was an easy 10min stroll to our camp with all the facilities one could imagine. A very large overhanging boulder-the size of a small house-provided convenient shelter from the day's final rainstorm.

The next day we descended the drainage from Mitella Lake to Baker Creek and then continued the 10km trek down Baker Creek(on left side proper) to Hwy 1A. Succinctly put: It's 17.7km total(give or take) of which 15km is pure bushwhacking hell. I don't recommend it and in my mind it's not fit for man nor beast. Using this as an approach to Mitella Lake is not recommended. An alternative of course would be over Protection Mt. but suffice to say, now I know why Mitella Lake is rarely visited, not to mention the sparse data.

But it truly is an adventure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuart Knob summit panorama.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	66890  

Name:	Looking north to the ridge from the top of Stuart Knob.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	66898  

Name:	From the cliffbands looking NW to the valley above the headwall.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	66906  

Name:	Mitella Lake from below the headwall.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	572.6 KB
ID:	66914  

Name:	Looking back to Mitella Lake and the headwall.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	66922  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 03:05 AM
Summit Master

how cool. Guys like you should post way more because you get to see things us mere mortals don't.
I am even having problems locating Mitella lake. Is it tucked in the valley between Armor/Bulwark peak to the west, and Avens/Pulsatilla to the east? So you basically walked from Stuart Knob towards Kane "Television peak", then dropped north to this valley?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
how cool. Guys like you should post way more because you get to see things us mere mortals don't.
I am even having problems locating Mitella lake. Is it tucked in the valley between Armor/Bulwark peak to the west, and Avens/Pulsatilla to the east? So you basically walked from Stuart Knob towards Kane "Television peak", then dropped north to this valley?

Correct on all counts. On my particular "GemTrek" map the valley is identified as "Wonder Valley" not to be confused of course with the one near Mt. Assiniboine. The lake itself is an intermittent lake and on some topos is identified as such, including the one below. If you were to plug in the following coordinates into the search box of Google Earth "11u 0569341 5693755" you would see an image(taken in the fall I believe) of an almost empty lake. check out the two map attachments for the route taken.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stuart Knob & Ridge Walk.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	454.9 KB
ID:	67146  

Name:	End of ridge to Mitella Lake.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	67154  

Last edited by woodenshoes; 07-16-2015 at 05:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Summit Master

Thank you! Can see that headwall now in Google Earth really well too. Also found nice Paul Zizka photo https://www.pinterest.com/pin/398709373233172232/ I wonder how he got there. What a fantastic secluded valley!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

yes, I saw that one too, and that was the only shot I ever found. It looks to me from my memory and perspective he took it from above the headwall. But I cant be sure.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page