AB Cen = Alberta Rockies Central (Banff & David Thompson) Aylmer Viewpoints - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

May 23, 2017

This is kinda my staple spring trip; been doing it for ~15 yrs now. Usually end of March / beginning of April, but this year has been something else and I went ~2 months later than usual.

Shoreline trail to LM8 is dry (and popular with cyclists). Creek under log bridge near LM8 flowing pretty good and mostly enclosed in snow. I expected snow higher up but drier than expected, just odd snow patch near Aylmer Pass/Lookout junction, and dry afterwards. I am quite sure though Aylmer Pass would still be snowbound; Aylmer itself was all white and totally not in shape. Very windy at lookout, but had it to myself and couldn't help myself but take another pano; this is kinda my sweet spot, almost made it for CT banner maybe next time
Click image for larger version

Name:	lookoutpano.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	636.4 KB
ID:	202618

Seriously clouded over on the way back and started raining. Btw Minnewanka will be a ZOO this summer; there is already "Park and Ride" operational from Cascade Ponds, and huge lineup for Boat Cruise.
VSDM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
May 23, 2017

This is kinda my staple spring trip; been doing it for ~15 yrs now. Usually end of March / beginning of April, but this year has been something else and I went ~2 months later than usual.

Shoreline trail to LM8 is dry (and popular with cyclists). Creek under log bridge near LM8 flowing pretty good and mostly enclosed in snow. I expected snow higher up but drier than expected, just odd snow patch near Aylmer Pass/Lookout junction, and dry afterwards. I am quite sure though Aylmer Pass would still be snowbound; Aylmer itself was all white and totally not in shape. Very windy at lookout, but had it to myself and couldn't help myself but take another pano; this is kinda my sweet spot, almost made it for CT banner maybe next time
Attachment 202618

Seriously clouded over on the way back and started raining. Btw Minnewanka will be a ZOO this summer; there is already "Park and Ride" operational from Cascade Ponds, and huge lineup for Boat Cruise.

Nice photo! That's like 2 different days on left and right.
VSDM likes this.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks Phil. 2 different days is right; that front quickly moved in & it was quite a stormy sky luckily with just few drops as I was making my way back along the shore.

Here are few more images for conditions:

Name:	aylmerridge.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	202762
Aylmer Ridge. Knowing the terrain well I am quite sure there are quite a few snowy spots along shady east (right) side. Note Aylmer -- totally white

Name:	aylmerzoom.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	202770
Closer look at Aylmer

Name:	stentonzoom.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	202778
This one for woodenshoes; zoom at Stenton Area

Of course looks different today because of this horror snowfall, but this will melt in day or two
VSDM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

1 more... don't you just want to sit in these chairs and spend rest of the day

Name:	adirondacksuncut.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	203201

It is amazing how fast weather changes in matter of hours in this part of the world
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Late Oct '17

Thought I'd just go stretch my legs to Stewart bridge & back, but I kept going ("just few minutes more") and before you know it I was at LM8 junction. I guess for most Minnewanka lakeshore trail is primarily interesting as MTB trail but I love walking there any time of the year. Trail runners probably enjoy it as well. Quite a bit of deadfall across the trail from recent wind which must be annoying for all the cyclists; bypasses already developing. Descended to LM8 campground for couple of photos but it was too windy to linger. To my surprise someone was still camping there. Dusting of snow was visible on the lookout. Pic from lakeshore just below the campground announcing arrival of winter to Rockies

Name:	stormyminnewanka.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	763.0 KB
ID:	238585
martin likes this.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Nov 8, 2018

I really like hiking by lake Minnewanka & having trailhead less than 1/2 hour drive I come here often. Beauty of the day, dusting of snow & just so calm and clean. Leisurely walked to LM8 junction and had lunch at little rise on Aylmer Pass trail enjoying beautiful views and silence. Debated continuing to lookout (boot prints in snow), but decided to follow lakeshore trail instead -- never went past LM8 junction. Went to Aylmer Canyon (LM9). LM8 - LM9 distance felt >1km one would expect, and indeed after getting back it is 1.5km (LM8 = 7.8km, LM9 = 9.3km). This part is very beautiful through impressive forest and then crosses large drainage coming off Aylmer. LM9 camp is very nice, smaller but prettier than LM8. Spent about an hour here just enjoying the beach and playing skids waiting for sunset.

Photos:

Name:	minniepanonov18.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	264192
[Pano from tourist area at the start, very beautiful]

Name:	trailside.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	735.6 KB
ID:	264196
[Views across the lake ~3km]

Name:	lm8rise.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	747.0 KB
ID:	264184
[View towards eastern half of the lake from little rise above LM8 junction]

Name:	lm9camp.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	729.8 KB
ID:	264186
[LM9 campground]

Name:	lm9townsend.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	762.1 KB
ID:	264190
[View east from the beach below LM9]

Name:	lm9map.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	769.2 KB
ID:	264198
[Google map - trying to figure the name of peak with "X" -- I thought it was Townsend but it is not, Townsend is further back. I think it is unnamed; correct me please if I am mistaken]

Name:	townsend.jpg
Size:	757.8 KB
ID:	264194
[Closer look at "Unknown" peak -- east side of Carrot Creek]

Name:	lm9sunset.jpg
Size:	626.6 KB
ID:	264188
[Beautiful and peaceful sunset from LM9 beach]

Minnewanka really speaks to me but although I visited east end from Ghost side I never hiked entire length of the lake. Next spring I will probably do that, it is just 21km to Narrows & perfect base for 2 nights to fully explore the area.

Edit: Found out the name of "Unknown". It is -- surprise, surprise -- Carrot Peak (thanks PhilR). There is good report online here. Approach is not from Minnewanka side, but from the south via South Ghost River (nicely visible on Google Map snapshot above).

Last edited by zeljkok; 11-10-2018 at 01:18 PM.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Mid November '19

Minnewanka is my happy place. Once summer and tourists are gone, it is so beautiful and I absolutely love walking the lakeshore trail. Calm and quiet and pristine with vistas unfolding as you walk by. Went as usual to LM8, then a bit up on Aylmer Pass trail for late lunch on snow free meadow just before trail dips into forest. Dusting of snow throughout with some sections that melted then froze, but it is easy going all the way. Set of boot prints to LM8 and down to campground, but nothing further east or up towards pass. Around 5km mark fresh cougar tracks --correct me if I am wrong-- going east, and followed lakeshore trail for ~2km before vanishing; was a bit nervous but nothing transpired. Couple of pics:

Name:	minnieshore.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	738.0 KB
ID:	272258
[That little bay near trailhead, think I have over 100 pics made at this place over the years and it never gets old]

Name:	aylmerjunctionpano.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	272256
[Pano above LM8 junction; I always stop here for break (even if I picked up a tick here couple of years ago)]

Name:	cougarprintsnow.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	497.0 KB
ID:	272254

Name:	cougartrackshand.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	272260
[Kitty prints, with ugly hand or yours truly for reference]
dcc_028 likes this.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Mid October '20

9 out of 10 people think of Minnewanka shoreline trail as boring but I love it to death & it is one of best places in Rockies to me. Undemanding, wondering through variety of terrain with great views throughout & every corner seems to have something new. I missed usual spring walk this year due to COVID but it is just as nice in the fall. Snow already lying on the ground, nature seems to be preparing for winter. Walked to LM8, had lunch at the beach just below campground, then came back the same way. Couple of pics:

Name:	snowman.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	745.0 KB
ID:	281850
[Yes, it's been snowing already. And major winter blast coming]

Name:	stewartcanyon.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	902.1 KB
ID:	281852
[Stewart canyon bridge, there is something mysterious gazing deep into front ranges from here. Some nice scrambles further up (Astley) I intend to explore down the line]

Name:	shoulder.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	849.3 KB
ID:	281848
[Shoulder rise ~45min from parking & if you are out of province or out of country & going for a walk, don't stop at Stewart junction, continue at least to here as views will blow you away]

Following two are from LM8 campground, one of nicest Parks Canada campgrounds I have seen. It's right by the beach, there are 10 tent pads, couple of outhouses, metal boxes for food and couple of very nice fire pits with wood benches in aspen forest right by the beach

Name:	lm8beach1.jpg
Size:	735.4 KB
ID:	281844

Name:	lm8beach2.jpg
Size:	829.3 KB
ID:	281846

Everything so beautiful and pristine, I'll be doing this as long as I can walk.
martin and lobo like this.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 06:46 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Lovely photos, looks fantastic with the snow cover. We hiked up to Aylmer Pass two weeks ago, beautiful day, didn't meet one hiker, went to the lookout on the return. I see we should have gone down to the lake too.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by avens View Post
Lovely photos, looks fantastic with the snow cover. We hiked up to Aylmer Pass two weeks ago, beautiful day, didn't meet one hiker, went to the lookout on the return. I see we should have gone down to the lake too.

Thank you. LM8 Beach is very nice, but often windy. Even nicer is beach at LM9 campsite. There is also ranger station, very neat in stand of aspen trees further east. I want for several years now to walk length of Minnewanka to Ghost Lakes, then highline return via Stenton Lake to Cougar Canyon and Canmore, maybe next spring

Name:	minnewankateepee.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	780.5 KB
ID:	281854

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page