KC = Kananaskis Country Mt. Kidd Lookout - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Mt. Kidd Lookout

Another nice after-work hike from Canmore to old Kananaskis lookout site beneath sheer NE ridge of Mt. Kidd. I put this on my to-do list some years back after seeing snowshoe report from Spirko and CT's Granticulus. I did not do any research, and although there is good trail leading up to the ridge I was not sure where it begins. So after parking at Kananaskis Lodge and crossing super nice complex I charged straight uphill through the woods. Followed some animal trails, bits of odd flagging and eventually stumbled upon the trail just beneath bits of cliff. After that it is just very steep all the way to the ridge. Great views behind to other side of valley and many well-known peaks including Old Baldy give legit reason to stop for a break.

Higher up when grade moderates stumbled upon this sign about area eco research:

Trail now follows just below ridge crest and after another 20 mins or so exits to old lookout site.

By now clouds rolled in and it started snowing. I followed gentle ridge on photo above to the point where it hits rock and start of roped climbing. I believe this is in Daugherty Alpine climbs and rated 5.6; will double check later on as I don't have book on me right now:

This is how it looks from the summit however; an old pic from many summers ago:

Quick descent was hard: I had only light hikers and dearly missed my hiking poles. If you decide to do this, poles will be great help both up and down. Followed trail all the way; it eventually intersects Kovach trail; large cairn and flag indicate the spot. Didn't take GPS either so I don't have data, but it was around 600 vertical and perhaps 5 or 6km (each way). It can be done in 3 to 4 hours (return). Btw, that lodge looks pretty darn nice- never bothered to visit before. No wonder they had G7 summit here several years ago:

Finally an eye candy - Lorette Pond and Mt. Lorette pit stop along Hwy40. I just love this area so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 09:19 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Man, I wish I found that trail on my snowshoe ascent. It was pure bushwhacking hell! Nice pics.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

you're right by 1/10th.....it's a 5.7 climb. As always I'm not sure how good the rock is but I will have to dissect the shot. Thnx for posting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 06:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Hey, is this trip from today (Oct 2)? It matters as I'm curious how much snow the mountains got...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by StevenSong

Hey, is this trip from today (Oct 2)? It matters as I'm curious how much snow the mountains got...
+1
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobby.g

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by StevenSong

+1
It was Oct 1 late afternoon. Started snowing as I was on the lookout
I posted some pics from Sunshine Meadows Oct 2 late afternoon

Woodenshoes: Thanks; I'm just class 3 scrambler, but have lots of fun looking at Daugherty routes (at least ones I can get to the base!). Book makes for nice coffee table reading in rainy winter months too
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2021, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Mt. Kidd Lookout

Jan 20, 2021

Grassy ridge below steep north ridge of Mt. Kidd above Kananaskis Village. Once there was fire lookout there, now there is only old foundation and helipad left. I've been there before but in summer; needing a bit of workout I thought I'd see how difficult it would be to boot up in winter. Left snowshoes in car on purpose, seeing windswept ascent slopes; only question was lower stint in the woods, but I was willing to bet I'd find compacted trail from weekend warriors. Gamble paid off, but there were some slippery sections & I pretty much had spikes on for the whole day. Access in very confusing; if you follow Daffern instructions you'd likely end in Yellowknife; Nugara is more concise, but instead of charging up from Aspen & Kovach XC Ski junction as he suggests, I followed the upper XC pist for another 15 min watching for flagged broken trail. I will have GPS map for download. From there it was straightforward with couple of awkward sections. In summer above treeline trail switchbacks quite nicely but I just charged straight up eventually intercepting snowshoe tracks at beginning of ridge above. Very, very cold wind at lookout & I retreated instantly. Some photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	helipadridge.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	784.4 KB
ID:	283352
[Old lookout site; now just a helipad. Ridge continues for another 20 min or so to cliffs of Mt. Kidd & this is climber access route. Normal scramble route, just a slog, is on the other side]

Name:	kananaskisvalleypano.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	283356
[Kananaskis Valley pano east from my turnaround point ~5min past the lookout]

Name:	centennialridge.jpg
Size:	733.2 KB
ID:	283354
[Mt. Allan Centennial Ridge; appeared mostly bare. Collembola upper right, Allan upper left]

Name:	sparrowhawkwind.jpg
Size:	534.4 KB
ID:	283360
[Rugged Mt. Sparrowhawk (left -- an easy scramble from the other side), and Wind Mountain (right -- accessed via Ribbon Creek and difficult scramble]

Name:	oldbaldy.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	743.0 KB
ID:	283358
[Old Baldy on east side of Kananaskis Valley; it's a nice scramble I completed some 10 years ago]

Took 4 hrs return, but this included only single 5 min break. 560m vertical and ~6km return. Map and Elevation Profile

Name:  kiddlookoutmap.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  243.7 KB

Name:	kiddlookoutelevation.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	283362

Do be careful if you do this in winter; there is real avalanche danger in right conditions ascending the open slopes above treeline.

Detail report with pics, map and GPS track here
martin, solo75 and lobo like this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 01-22-2021 at 12:41 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page