Storm Mountain (Kananaskis) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Storm Mountain (Kananaskis)

Storm Mountain (Kananaskis), 30 Aug 2014

Here's one last (late) report. I've relocated to Saskatchewan for a year in September, so this is definitely my last scramble for a while. Thankfully it was a very fine day despite questionable forecasts. The route went up the right hand drainage through a scenic alpine meadow. It then takes a scree/slab slope to the top of a connecting ridge.

1. Alpine meadow
2. The jagged ridge towards Mist Mountain
3. The slab & scree route on the left

It is possible to avoid most of the scree on the way up to the ridge. The warped and near vertical strata is impressive.

4. Looking back down with Mt Sorelk in the distance
5. Mist Mountain earns its name
6. The hike up to the connecting ridge

Once you get to the top of the connecting ridge the views to the east open up and are a sight to behold.

7. The view to the east.
8. Mt Glasgow to Banded Peak
9. Storm Mountain from the top of the ridge

The next step is really interesting. Here you drop down a few meters and take a sloping ramp along a very big drop. The crux is at the very start where is narrower and usually snowy. Most of the snow was gone but the ground was very wet and mushy.

10. My route to the summit
11. Looking back along the ramp
12. A nice look at the ridge line all the way to Mist Mountain

After the ramp, I took a look at the various options to gain the summit. If you head back up the ridge too soon it is quite an airy walk. The easiest approach is to angle left up the scree ledges and gain the ridge higher up. There is some slight exposure to the right which is avoidable by taking the scree on the left side. I was going take my time on the summit, but a rainy cloud chased me off sooner than I would have liked.

13. The walk up the ridge to the summit
14. Looking back from the point I regained the ridge
15. A cloud chases me off the summit

I quickly crossed to the lower west summit and then scooted to the col on my right. From there I took scree runs and curvy slab down to the adjacent drainage.

16. The adjacent drainage from the summit
17. Crazy warped strata in front of Mist Mountain
18. Storm Mountain from the bottom of the scree slope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 09:16 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Nice TR - brings back good memories for me. Too bad about Saskatchewan, you'll have to get a snowmobile or pick up fishing or something...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

That's one peak in this area I've yet to tackle (guessing its out for the season now with all the snow - unless you like snowy scrambles I suppose) Shame about the cloud chasing you off.

You'll have to brush up on your Corner Gas quotes now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9xI5lOQCSY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

For anyone curious, this is what it looked like this past Saturday...
I think it's safe to say that this one is now out of season!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Where did you go? From being in the area, could you tell me what the snow is like around Elbow Lake?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Where did you go? From being in the area, could you tell me what the snow is like around Elbow Lake?
Looks like Little Arethusa to me.

The key was to drive farther into BC. Eric, Mike and I had a blast on Mt. Abruzzi. Not much of new snow.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

That's great when you have the choice, but I am committed to Elbow Lake this week, so I'm just trying to figure out what it's going to be like.

I can't tell from his photo how far down the snow goes, but I'm guessing he would have an idea what it's like around the Highwood and the Elbow Pass area from the rest of the trip.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 09:44 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

That's great when you have the choice, but I am committed to Elbow Lake this week, so I'm just trying to figure out what it's going to be like.

I can't tell from his photo how far down the snow goes, but I'm guessing he would have an idea what it's like around the Highwood and the Elbow Pass area from the rest of the trip.
The front ranges got way more snow than further back. So I'm sure the Highwood and Elbow Pass areas got plastered. I heard more than 30cm but a lot of that should melt this week...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

Steven's right. The photo was taken from Little Arethusa on Saturday. There was ankle to knee-deep snow all the way up from the trailhead (which is about the same elevation as Elbow Lake. Highway 40 was snowy the whole drive in but much of that had already started to melt by the time I was driving back out that afternoon. There was quite a crowd at the Elbow Lake parking lot so the snow wasn't deterring people and as they trampled it down, it probably started to melt faster. I'd expect that most of the snow at Elbow Lake will have melted by the weekend.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Uugh. Thanks guys. My trip there is tomorrow, so I won't have this week to let it melt, but hopefully if it's already all solidly packed down, that makes the difference for dry feet. Guess I'll pack some shovels to clear the tent pads.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Sodbuster,

Thanks...I think. I may be the only guy in Canada who did not watch Corner Gas first go around. I'm now an addict. And yeah, it is a bit flat topographically speaking. Thanks for pointing that out.

Wild September photo, Matt. Hard to believe I was there just a few days earlier!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Headed for the Mountains

When Eric and I did Storm we came down a gully with tons of loose black soil which made us look like coal miners by the time we made it back to the car.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Semi Awesome

Storm Mountain (Kananaskis), 30 Aug 2014

I quickly crossed to the lower west summit and then scooted to the col on my right. From there I took scree runs and curvy slab down to the adjacent drainage.

16. The adjacent drainage from the summit
17. Crazy warped strata in front of Mist Mountain
18. Storm Mountain from the bottom of the scree slope
You have some really nice shots; I especially find the terrain in these three really cool.

With your relocation to Saskatchewan, you probably will have a challenge keeping up your climbing skills and fitness by some other means.

A great report.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page