Iceline/Whaleback Loop - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Iceline/Whaleback Loop

Braved the traffic on the #1 and headed to Yoho solo for my first trip in the area. I did have a trip planned to Cathedral but that fell apart so this seemed a good choice for a couple nights. Called in to book about 2 weeks before and didn't have a problem.

My itinerary was to hike Iceline Friday July 26, up early Sat day hike over Kiwetinok Pass then pack it over Whaleback to Twin Falls camp for Sat night. Out Sunday.

Some hail on Sat am killed the trip up to Kiwetinok Pass pretty much but hey - that was the only bad weather I had on the entire trip. Mosquitoes were basically non-existent too for the entire trip. A good reason to head back - people I met on the trail said this was a great side-trip.

I'd certainly recommend hiking the loop this direction - save the walk out through the forest back to the parking lot on the last day. The Iceline is spectacular once you climb up - nothing but peaks peaks peaks all the way to Little Yoho. The trip over Whaleback was great as well with more great views. Well worth the grunt as opposed to staying down in the valley.

The only real drama...an older couple from NY was out day-hiking. The strolled into Twin Falls camp around 430PM Sat and asked which was way out. I told them it was my first time on trail but the area is well signed and just follow signs and take a right on the way out of the camp. Turns out...they took a left and ended up staying the night out on the lookout trail leading up to Yoho Glacier. The poor souls came back to camp the next day - needless to say a bit shaken up, tired and embarrassed - but otherwise ok. I helped them out with some food I had left over and hit the trail out. Glad they were ok.

Highly recommended trip!

Pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirk567...7634878488273/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Summit Master

That is a great loop; I've done it couple of times as day hike.
How was the Little Yoho campground? I assume you tented as opposed to sleep in the Hut
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Both campgrounds were pretty nice, no tent pads but that's not a big deal. Separate cooking/eating areas with tables, a grey water pit and bear pole. Little Yoho was fairly full but that's to be expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:The only real drama
I just can't believe how mentally unprepared some people can be. Not having a mental picture of the area (not carrying a map?), not being able to figure out the signs that are posted at every trail jct., where they came from and where they're headed, or the instructions you gave them! And just not having a clue about how to read the lay of the land or even the common sense to clue in to "water flows downhill" and to follow the easy valley trail back to Tak Falls. Good thing it was summertime otherwise they could have put their lives at risk and maybe wasted the time of a lot of good people in a SAR effort...

Anyways, glad you could help them out and that you enjoyed a superb outing!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page