Traverse of Consummation - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Traverse of Consummation

Looks like this is 1st ascent report of Consummation peak on this forum, so I'll give bit more info.

Where it is: Yoho NP, Lake O'Hara area, Cathedral Basin. 2554 m

Technical difficulty: Some steep talus, lichen covered boulders but no difficulties. Perhaps one low class 2 move in lower ridge. If would likely get "easy" rating in Kane world

How to get there: Official park trail to Cathedral Basin, starting either from Lake O'Hara campground or near km 9 of access road. Both trails join about 1km from the road. Follow signs for Linda lake and on to Cathedral lake. At Duchesnay junction to right and climb up to Cathedral Basin.

View of Lake O'Hara basin and approach described above from summit of Consummation:

[Lake O'Hara center distance; Opabin plateau and glacier to its right. Linda and Cathedral lakes lower foreground. Big mountain to the right is Mt. Odaray]

Consummation is seen nicely on approach in the meadows between Linda and Cathedral Lakes:

[Consummation peak upper center; Cathedral prospect to its right]

Cathedral Lake is well worth a photo break; Duchesnay basin trail splits about 5 minutes from here:

[Cathedral lake and towering Mt. Odaray]

Ascent to Cathedral basin is fairly steep. Trail is rooty and rocky; caution is required on descent. Higher up it climbs sizable boulder slope, quite similar to the one on Baden Powell as one climbs from Horseshoe Bay to Eagle Bluffs. Follow cairns here. Views back to O'Hara basin really open up here:
[Boulder slope below Cathedral basin with views of Mt. Odaray and Lake O'Hara]

Spot to leave trail is about 10-15 minutes past this boulder slope. Trail comes to open area and crosses bit of creek. Consummation is visible to the left:
[Consummation peak from Cathedral Basin trail showing easy ascent slopes]

The scramble is as easy as it looks on photo above. Lower down there are couple of cairns leading the way across some boulders to the bottom of talus slope. Ascent this talus and near the top transfer to south ridge. There is cairn here you should watch for on descent (if you decide to come down this way). Rest of south ridge leading to the summit is equally straightforward -- can be placed in Fairview/St. Piran range. Summit plateau is unexpectedly wide and "meadowy". Takes about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from Lake O'Hara road.

Normal return is the same way you came up, but I did not do that. Looking at Google Earth before trip north ridge appeared just slightly steeper; I was curious if I could descend that way, then loop back either to Cathedral basin or Duchesnay basin.
[North ridge of Consummation Peak seen from the summit. Note the tarn in lower right]

Bottom part of north ridge can not be seen on photo above. It is steeper, and there are some lichen covered boulders that were slippery but overall it was just marginally harder than south ridge. Took some 20 minutes to descend to the north end:
[Tarn in rocky basin beneath north Consummation ridge]

From here there are 2 options for return. Easier one is to turn left (west) and follow grassy slopes to Duchesnay basin, then pick-up trail somewhere near Last Larch Prospect in upper basin. I wanted to see Monica lake in upper Cathedral basin, so I turned right and followed boulder slope on east side of Consummation. This was not the smartest choice -- boulders were very slippery and utterly unpleasant. Really took my time here - about 30-40 minutes - as everything is unstable and busted ankle or worse was real possibility. Couple of snow patches were great help:
[Boulder field between Consummation peak and Cathedral Prospect]

This effort eventually does pay off, as there is lovely grassy terrace below Cathedral prospect one can follow all the way around to Monica Lake basin, then drop down easy talus and connect with trail; views are fantastic. There are larches everywhere, and this would be very special place to visit in 2nd half of September. Couple of Monica visuals:
[Monica Lake in upper Cathedral Basin]

[Reflections of Mt. Odaray in tarn near Monica Lake]

Returned via Cathedral Basin trail; took about 1 hr 45 min from Monica to O'Hara road, with photo break at Linda Lake:
[Panoramic view of Linda Lake from west shore]

Finally the 9km march down the road; I'm quite accustomed to this by now. Near km 5 Parks Truck going up -- inquired if I was the "injured hiker". Then same truck on its way down, as I was near km 3; they stopped and gave me the ride down to parking lot, which was quite appreciated as my feet were fairly sore by then.

Stats, including hike on O'Hara road both ways): ~1000 vertical, about 33 km and 9 hrs.

More pictures, including map and downloadable GPS track here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oharabasin.jpg
Views:	1827
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	72745  

Name:	boulderslope.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	72753  

Name:	cathedralodaray.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	72761  

Name:	lindapano.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	72769  

Name:	meadows.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	72777  

Name:	ridgefarside.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	72785  

Name:	rockytarn.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	72793  

Name:	snowpatch.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	72801  

Name:	trailsidepeak.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	72809  

Name:	monicabasin.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	72817  

Name:	odarayreflect.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	72825  

alhike, lobo and Trail Talk like this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 07-31-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 08:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Great photos!
I did it a few weeks ago and was disappointed with the views. They are pretty nice only towards Lake O'Hara. Duchesnay and Cathedral basins looked nondescript. However, I didn't venture all way towards Monica Lake. We left Cathedral Basin Trail as soon as it came close to the ridge crest. Quick easy scramble through a series of cliff bands led to the summit ridge. Your route seems to be easier and more scenic.

I'd suggest this little peak only to those who have explored the more scenic corners of Lake O'Hara Region and are looking for something off-beaten way.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 09:08 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Very nice pictures!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks guys

I don't think Duchesnay and Cathedral basins are necessarily less scenic. Difference might be that we all tend to visit core O'Hara areas in golden larch season, when O'Hara is possibly the most spectacular area in the Rockies (and beyond). Now was July, and everything looks different. But there are plenty of lakes - setting of Cathedral lake below towering Mt. Odaray is fantastic, there is much more to Linda than meets the eye and I didn't even go to Morning Glory. Monica basin is dotted with larches that will be on fire in September, and I suspect upper Duchesnay basin will look similar.

That having said, personal O'Hara favorite will always be McArthur basin, probably because of that insane backdrop of Mt. Biddle. But I think I will return in the fall to Cathedral area to finish exploring what I missed this time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page