A Hiking Route Up Mount Lougheed (3105m) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default A Hiking Route Up Mount Lougheed (3105m)

Mount Lougheed is one of the most impressive looking mountains along the Bow Corridor. It is best viewed from Trans Canada Highway near Dead Man's Flats:
http://www.peakfinder.com/peakfinder...Mount+Lougheed

I was certain that Mount Lougheed cannot be scrambled, otherwise this prominent mountain so close to Canmore would have been included in Allan Kane's scrambles book. Then I learned that Andrew Nugara listed Lougheed as "difficult climber's scramble". Anything listed under this category doesn't get my attention since I don't like to play with my life (and am not a climber). Well, Nugara likes to complicate things. Recently, I stumbled upon Bob Spirko's TR of ascent of Mount Lougheed main summit who described it as a "moderate scramble":
http://bobspirko.ca/NugaraScrambles/...tLougheed.html
I find Spirko's reports highly accurate so I immediately moved this mountain on my to-do list.

When I saw a CSMC posting about a scramble trip up Mount Lougheed, I immediately changed my plans for the coming weekend...

We did it yesterday under cloudy conditions and it turned out to be a fairly enjoable ... hike! We actually debated if this trip fits the definition of a moderate scramble. Some though it's the borderline between moderate and easy scrambling. I don't think so. There are no technical exposure, hands are used mostly for balance. A few awkward moves on scree require some caution but don't make it a moderate scramble. It's basically little more than a steep hike on a fairly stable scree.

Routefinding on this mountains is fairly easy. There is a surprisingly good trail along Spencer Creek that is used by hikers bound for Little Lougheed. Just follow this trail along the creek. It reaches the treeline and then disappears. Keep hiking along the cross across very lovely meadows (photo 1 and 2). You will be eventually forced to cross the creek several times. At this point you'll see that further progress east is blocked by the sheer wall of a ridge connecting Sparrowhawk and Lougheed. Gain a grassy hill to your left (photo 3). You can follow the creek and it soon turns left as well, but you will lose some time. Once on the top of the hill you will see a scree slope straight ahead (photo 4). Head it straight up. The slope eventually ends in a seemingly impassible cirque. There is a weakness in the cliff bands on your right. Cross above a (seasonal) waterfall (photo 5) and hike up through the weakness. Note a cairn on the top of the cliff band. We improved it a little bit more, so it should be fairly noticeable. Hike up a scree slope above the cliff bands. You are now in a scree bowl. Traverse on your right to a southeastern slope that connects Lougheed Main Summit (II) with Lougheed III. Hike up the slope to the summit ridge. A quick ridgewalk leads to the summit (photo 6)

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.

The summit view probably rivals that of Mt. Sparrowhawk. Spray Lake lies below (photos 7 and 8). Lougheed I dominates the view to the north (photo 9) and Wind Mountain to southeast (photo 10). Mt. Allan long ridge (Centennial Ridge) and Mt. Collembola are on the east but I could barely see them. The most impressive scenic treat of the hike is enormous near-vertical northern face of Mt. Sparrowhawk (photos 11-15).

7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14 15.

Unfortunately, low clouds obscured most of scenery but they created some cool effects:

It is a fairly enjoyable easy scramble/difficult hike that is going to become more popular as more information is available. Very surprising that it's not in any guidebook.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the report. This one's going on my list.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Well, Nugara likes to complicate things
There are at least a few people living in the Bow Valley that think Nagura is a bumblie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Nice. Thanks for the detailed route information!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering

i think im going to try this one too

thanks for sharing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Good job Taras, certainly one that keeps catching my eye anytime I drive along Hwy 1 in and around Dead Man's Flat. I was staring at it for a long time while going up Wind Ridge a week ago.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Summit Master

Good TR. I am pretty sure if you do the full traverse it is a bit more difficult - class 4? I agree that AN does "complicate" things.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thank you guys!

Anyone knows how difficult is ascent of Peak I on its own, without the traverse to Peak II (True Summit)?

I won't be surprised if it turns out that Lougheed is more like Rundle: West and East Summits are easy, but the traverse is very difficult.

Peak III is a simple scree hike from the main summit:

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Summit Master

Never done it. I always thought the traverse involved some unavoidable class 4 to 5 terrain.

Go here:

http://dowclimbing.com/Lougheed.html

The full traverse includes Wind Mt.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I want to go to that.

Please invite me next time! Great tr!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I don't know what Nugara was referring to, nor do i have an opinion on him, but a good guy, Calvin Damen, went up this route (I believe) with Nugaram 4 or 5 years ago. Rick Collier, and others used the route previous to that from what I remember.

PS. Nice pics engor, cool clouds.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks for that. A new, and unexpected mountain on the hit list of a west coast scrambler who gets to the Rockies but once a year.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the details on the route! Great photos too, even though you couldn't see that far the clouds look awesome!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 09:24 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Just did this one on the weekend. I agree that it's easy scrambling. The 'moderate' would involve the descent from between Lougheed III and Wind mountain which is the toughest scrambling of the day (but highly recommended for the hanging valley / scenery).

I am also very surprised that this hasn't made any guidebooks, even the hike into the upper valley is sublime.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Awesome hike! So what was the elevation gain altogether?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page