Elysium Pass, movie in the spring! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Elysium Pass, movie in the spring!

There would be no T.R. from today's little adventure except.... even alone on a trail that has no redeeming qualities I still had a great day with some drama just for fun! And got my ass spanked! 2 weeks and no hike is not good! I chose Elysium as no-one goes up there any more and I can have the dog with me, great exercise as well. 13.5 km and 1245 m gain to the view point according to my guide. We got a much better start of 10:15 than the 10:30 Maccarib time! see my sister called, the coffee was good and there was a lot of snow over night, any one is a perfectly good excuse for a late-ish start.
Through the trees and wet brushy climb, filling my waterproof boots from the top, wait I have my gaiters! And the dog can go first and knock some of the water off the shrubs Got to the rock slide and sat for lunch soaking in the views along with a rather cool breeze...lets head back
As I'm crossing a pretty animal corridor I focus on 2 bits of pink flagging tyed to a tree, upon closer examination there is barbed wire stapled to a tree between them....huh why would someone do that??? Oh wait scratching post...DNA sampling...wildlife camera! and you bet right behind me! lol oh ya film in the spring for sure! Even alone in the bush I manage to embarrass myself!
So I have had a nice soak in Epsom salts, some Ibuprofen for my sore legs and I'm now drowning my humiliation in the last of the Schnapps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Good to see your hike went well, not liking that white shit up on the hills much though! Sadest part of your trip report was the demise of the Schnapps![V]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

It's ok Darren they're making more Schnapps every day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:13 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtnlioness

...upon closer examination there is barbed wire stapled to a tree between them....huh why would someone do that??? Oh wait scratching post...DNA sampling...wildlife camera!
So THAT's what that was. I saw the same thing at Crypt Lake and wondered why someone would staple barbed wire to a tree. Thought maybe someone was just try to give the bear a better place to scratch. Didn't think to look for a camera, though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Jeeze- All I can think of is Thank God it wasn't 30 degrees outside. Being all "alone" and overheating could have made for an entirely different kind of movie!
Can you imagine the looks on the faces of the parks employees checking that footage? hee hee

I had a similar experience biking on the Ho-Chi-min trail. But I heard a weird whirring noise, then a flash went off! What the heck!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

LOL and I was trying to remember what I had been doing on the way in! I really hope it isn't someone I know that reviews the footage! Good God I'll never live this down will I?!?!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

the dog and I walked the Elysium pass trail this afternoon and sure enough there were tracks. Parks is keeping watch on the trail cameras I think, I had actually forgotten about that so took awhile to realize why the trail was so well trod! didn't even use my snowshoes...there really will be a movie in the spring! lol
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtnlioness

the dog and I walked the Elysium pass trail this afternoon and sure enough there were tracks. Parks is keeping watch on the trail cameras I think, I had actually forgotten about that so took awhile to realize why the trail was so well trod! didn't even use my snowshoes...there really will be a movie in the spring! lol

Interesting, thanks for posting.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page