Cataract Pass - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Cataract Pass

With the weather being so beautiful the last 5 days Brenda (Mtndew) and I decided to explore an area we'd not seen before, Cataract Pass. Got an early-ish start of 9:30 on trail to warm temps even then! A few fluffy clouds to contrast the bright clear blue of the sky.
We had a good giggle as I had walked Nigel Pass last summer until I got turned back by heavy rain but I wasn't recognizing any of the trail we were on yesterday... turns out I was on the other side of the creek walking the old trail! I was lost a year ago and didn't know it...this will add an interesting twist later.
We made good time, looking back as we climbed higher and enjoying the summer sun
It was easy to find the trail from the river and we headed onto new territory The boulder scramble is a challenge for me at 5'2" I have to get creative at times, much to Brenda's (6') amusement! The scrabble is short though so no big deal.
We continued on through the valley to the little lake at the base of a glacier. Now the clouds really began to move in and the time was after 2 so we decided to turn back definitely to return another day though.
We walked out to improving conditions and we were muttering, damn we could have crossed that next pass too! And low and behold there is a couple with big packs having lunch part way over the boulder field. Turns out they are lost, they wanted to come out Nigel but couldn't find the river crossing or pick up the trail. They were most surprised to see us and I think relieved, this was their 5th day doing the loop all without a map! We walked together down the valley to the river crossing and sent them on their way to their car. Decided the signage there may need to be improved a little! Last year I wouldn't have gotten into trouble as I was alone on an in/out trail. Brenda didn't know there was a second trail either and she has done Nigel Pass more than once.
What a beautiful day in new terrain!
this little bubbling spot on the creek side was very fascinating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Great picture - what beautiful scenery! Thank you for posting; looks like it was a great hike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:15 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I keep seeing amazing photos from this area. It's working it's way up on my to-do list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote: The boulder scramble is a challenge for me at 5'2"
Isn't there an app for that?
Looks beautiful Cindy...I might have to head down that way myself soon.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Awesome trip report and pictures. Cataract Pass is beautiful. Well done. Were you standing on your tiptoes when you measured the 5'2".

Last edited by lobo; 07-16-2018 at 11:06 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

lol Vicki..if there is an app for height I'll share it with you! I could go back today!
Marko, I'd go with an overnight pack as the area deserves more time!
Shawna, it was a great hike, and closer to you maybe than some of the others!
Dieter, I measured after hanging by my heels for awhile to gain every bit of height! lol
I'm loving the alpine these days and trying to fit as many in as I can while these great days last!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Not to worry about turning back before the pass... that just means you'll have to return. Certainly one of my favorite spots.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Still need to do this hike. Still want to complete the backpack route from Michele Lakes past Pinto Lake then up over Cataract Pass with a side trip to the Valley of the Lakes. Had to abort this trip last year when a trip member was unable to continue past Pinto and we exited via Sunset Pass.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Oh man I was reading last night of a trip Nadine did in 2008 (I think) starting at Pinto and they came out Poboktan but did consider continuing through Maligne pass. I dreamt about it last night! I would love to do that one!! something to consider....anyone? lol need help carrying that load!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Kicking myself for skipping this one on July long. Thanks for the photos.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page