Mount Assiniboine - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Mount Assiniboine

I had a fairly nasty head cold and was going from a few hundered meters above sea level in the interior to the alpine. Should be interesting...although I would have to be half dead to miss this trip...

Left Kamloops July 28 with shigum - stayed overnight at Tunnel Mountain campsite just outside Banff.

Headed up to Sunshine morning of the 29th and caught the shuttle up to the trailhead in the alpine. We intended to hike all the way to Magog.

There was some serious windfall on the trail in the Valley of the Rocks and on the lower trail beyond Porcupine. Given this info (and with no desire to plunge further down the valley) we stayed on the high portion of the trail. This section is less then "fun" and not at all scenic - but the destination was before us...

After 22.5km we decided to crash at Ogg Lake and not push on to the Assiniboine core. Ogg Lake camp is pretty nice although not all that sheltered. Nice views of Assiniboine and the surrounding mnts here. The camp was packed already and then a group of 18 showed up...not sure why one can pay online but not be guaranteed a place to camp.

One of the niceties at this (and other camps) is a grey water pit - however someone poured an entire meal into the pit at Ogg. This really pisses me off - why not endanger yourself and everyone else at the camp? Anyways I digress...

Awoke in the am and headed for the easy few km into the core. Got setup at Magog and shigum headed to the Nub. I was now in the half dead state aforementioned...it was hot, my cold made it hard to breathe (and sleep) and I was dehydrated. I skipped on the dayhike to the Nub in the afternoon and caught some z's. Probably the right decision...

On the 30th we headed up to Wonder Pass and scrambled up to Wonder Peak at about 2700m. The views of the surrounding areas were nothing short of incredible. With the trip to the peak we put in about 16km on Sunday.

Monday we got up, relaxed with several coffees and caught the chopper back to Canmore. We caught a ride back up to Sunshine, grabbed the vehicle and drove back to Kamloops. Our weather was great - sunny and hot and the views we got I understand are somewhat rare.

Wow...now back to reality

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Banned

Wow beautiful area. I hope to make it in there one day.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Wow,spectacular views indeed!!! Beautiful I bet the cold really didn't matter too much after seeing that! I hope I get to see that someday too! Thanks for sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Headed for the Mountains

nice shots!

yeah, definitely looks like you had perfect conditions. i spent 4 nights at Lake Magog campground once to get a peek at Assiniboine. it was covered in clouds the remainder of the time. but for that view, totally worth it every time.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, photography, hockey, camping, snowboarding

Wonder Peak, appropriately named I would say. What views ! Great T.R. and amazing pictures !Hope your feeling better.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by b.c.me

Wonder Peak, appropriately named I would say. What views ! Great T.R. and amazing pictures !Hope your feeling better.
i concur thanks for posting pictures of a wonderful area !!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page