Storm Mountain - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Storm Mountain

2011-07-30

Storm Mountain is known for it's killer scree slog and awesome views. We were pretty lucky to have had a clear blue sky as compensation for 1,500 meters of fine scree and very loose rock.

The hardest part about this scramble technically is the field of downed trees on the approach. There is not much of a chance to get into this approach valley with hopping over or under at least two dozen fallen trees.

We parked at a gravel pull off to the east side of the highway some 11-12 kms south of the Castle Junction/Radium exit. This made the approach much easier than the recommended starting spot from the Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies guide. The route through the approach valley could be seen from here.

There is a small stream to cross and fallen trees helped us avoid getting wet. The faint trail that exists is left of the creek. We lost it a few times because much of it is obstructed by downed trees.

When we got through the trees, we had a short hike to a boulder field before tackling the scree slope. The few patches of snow eased our ascent and after what seemed forever, we finally topped out on a fairly flat ridge. It was quite a relief to sit down at the summit, eat and take in the amazing views. Giant peaks could be seen in all directions.

On the way down we used the snow patches for a quick descent. Unfortunately our progress was slowed down a bit by me forgetting my camera close to ridge. Two of us headed back up while the rest of the group waited. Luckily it was exactly where I thought it was and soon we rejoined the group and headed back out.

It was easier to follow the faint trail out. The key was to stay close to the creek.

Our route

GPS track: http://db.tt/qbw8rHX

Photos:

More photos here:
http://markostavric.fotki.com/2011/20110730/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Wow!!! Thanks for the eye candy [][]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Creation vs Evolution

I take it there is no real trail or just a few faint sections?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Yeah there isn't really a trail. There might have been sometime ago, at least to the base, but with the fallen trees obstructing much of it, it's really overgrown.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

When we descended, we looke at the south west ridge and it looked like it would be a more pleasant way to go up and down. I think there was even an entry in the register about coming up this way. Looking at google earth, I think this would be quite doable. Has anyone done it?

I tried to attach a photo but the uploader doesn't seem to be working for me. Here's a KML file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19287257/stormmountainroute.kml
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Summit Master

Storm Mountain is good on skis
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Weekend climber, scrambler and backcountry skier.

The ski route is the valley to the right of your ascent route on your map and it is done regularly( in Chic's book) and it comes out on the SW ridge as it goes to the summit. Is that what you are asking about or following the whole (SW)ridge between the two valleys?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page