Mt. Olive from the Bow Hut - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.
Default Mt. Olive from the Bow Hut

My friend Will and I headed to the Bow Hut on Tuesday afternoon. The lake is very high, and the trail at the east of the lake is under water, so your options include trodding through the swamp (as we did) or waste a lot of time and energy scrambling and bushwhacking on the bench to your right (east) side. Given we had big boots on, we just slogged straight through, hopping deeper bits.

As we arrived at the boulder bridge, the rain began in earnest. We had to go full shells right after, and were battened down right until we reached the hut. We weren't fast, taking just under three hours car-hut, but timed nicely for an early supper.

I woke at 5:00am on Wednesday morning, and the weather was foul. It was pounding rain, so I didn't bother waking Will and went back to bed. By 7:00, the weather was variable, and we decided to go up Olive. This was the main objective. I'd never been up, and wanted to scope it for the upcoming family mountaineering trip in August with my daughter and a bunch of other 12 yr old girls and their families.

We were the only non-Yam-guided folks, and let them all clear out before we put boots on the moraine shortly after 8:00am. Most of the guided groups were also headed for Mt. Olive. They went climber's left under St. Nick, and we took the long way around to the East, just to be different, and so I could break trail for longer. (thanks Will!)

We arrived at the col far ahead of anyone else, but the weather was closing in. The ridge up Mt. Olive is still under quite a bit of snow, so I kicked steps up the steeper/narrower bit, and, and we were on top in short order. We had a few moments on top, but we were being blasted by high winds and sleet, so we retreated to a sheltered arete and had some drinks and snacks and shot the shit for a bit. Just as we descended after that, the sun popped out for a few minutes, to Will grabbed a 180 pano shot.

At the col, we decided to "short cut" back under St. Nick, using the Yam tracks as the first of the guided groups was now arriving at the col. Will and I chatted with the first group for a few minutes, and then strolled back down to the hut. Thanks to our long way up, we took a slow-ish five hours for the total trip, arriving back at the hut at 1:00pm. We dried out a bit, had some soup, packed up, at at 3:00pm, headed for the car.

My. Olive is a nice objective for novice mountaineers, and I think the kids are going to love it. Here's the pano Will shot with my kneeling, looking back at our momentarily visible tracks (the weather went to hell after this, and didn't let up, of course...)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Jeez, that photo sucks. I'll try to make it larger, or host it.

A bit better, I'll keep working on it...

http://imageshack.us/f/560/olivepanoramasm.jpg/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I kinda like it. Dark, brooding feel. What's not to like about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

The size of the pic sucks, not the actual pic.

This seems to be a full size link, so you can pick out some detail...

http://tinyurl.com/Olive-Pano

Click on it to go full size.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Cool photo. Is that the Yamnuska tracks you're following?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

No, we were the first up and down. The pic was taken on descent, so we'd made them and then trod on them coming down. Thanks to the weather, there were a few faint tracks, which says something about the weather given the traffic this peak sees...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Summit Master

Another one much better on skis
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Such an awesome area. Tried to ski the NE face of Olive this past winter but got shut down on it....twice.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I don't know why I have a total f-up on east and west in my TR. No one better trust my nav skills again!!

The west side of the lake is flooded and the trail is out there. We took the route to the col around the west side of Nick, not the east side.

My daughter is stoked about the peak now, so I hope it's in decent shape in a couple weeks...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Banned

Three years ago I was one of those newbies being led up by a Yam guide on a course. Sweet views. Learned lots...
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

The size of the pic sucks, not the actual pic.

This seems to be a full size link, so you can pick out some detail...

http://tinyurl.com/Olive-Pano

Click on it to go full size.
Your link shows this to be an awesome shot, cool mood the photo shows.

K
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

I LOVE that picture could we have some more please (with a British accent)?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by no quitting

I LOVE that picture could we have some more please (with a British accent)?
I hope there are some more. I forgot my camera so Will took all the pics, and thanks to the poor weather, we didn't take many. As he sends them to me, I will post.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page