Summer Hikes 2010 Day 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Yak
Hittin' the Trails

Default Summer Hikes 2010 Day 3

Ok, this is just a short day, definitely the least exciting from the trip, so I'll try to get Day 4 written up right away too.

So in the morning we didn't have too far to go (maybe 8km?) and hammered out along the Yoho Valley Trail pretty quickly so we could do a short hike later in the day. We chose Plain of the Six Glaciers because we needed to pick up some food from the village…and I guess I just missed being able to reach out smack 18 different people without moving my feet…I can't think of any other reason I would go to Lake Louise in the middle of Summer…
At any rate even though the trail is a little boring out to Takakkaw, there are some nice stops along the way, the first being Laughing Falls (Picture 1)

Next we stopped by Lake Duchesney which had a couple nice views (Pictures 2 and 3)

And we were able to make a friend! He came out as soon as I set my bag down on the rock. He was the first we saw on the trip, but certainly not the last (Picture 4)

Next was the pretty little Point Lace Falls (Picture 5)

And across the way was the Angel's Staircase…a little too far to get a good picture (Picture 6)

Then there was our first glimpse of Takakkaw Falls again (Picture 7) and we were back to the car

For Six Glaciers we were actually running away from people more than anything so we didn't stop too often and it's not the most exciting place, but I'll throw up a couple pictures anyways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

At least if you start early, you can beat the worst of the crowds. Lake Louise can be almost as crowded as downtown Banff during the summer.

Still, better there than trapped in the city!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Yak
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955
Still, better there than trapped in the city!
Yeah, I think I'll be heading back for Devil's Thumb and maybe Mount St. Piran next summer, but if I was just going to be hanging out at the front of the chateau like most people do I would have to pick the city...but luckily I can pick neither and head somewhere nice in the mountains instead!

And since we had to get the 8km of Yoho Valley out of the way in the morning we definitely weren't there early, but I'm sure it would be much more bearable if we were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Hittin' the Trails

would highly recommend valley of the ten peaks/citadel if you are in the area again. it was outstanding for a short day hike. u can really fly back down the mountain on the way back too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Hittin' the Trails

i mean sentinel...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page