Cascade: Third Annual - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Default Cascade: Third Annual

This was my third time up Cascade Mountain, and my sister Lily's first. We started at 10ish and arrived back at the Norquay parking lot by 6pm. We came to the bridge at the beginning of the swichbacks to find two guys preparing for the trip up. I said hello, and mentioned that since we were both parties of two, we could group up (there is a limit of 4 persons in hiking parties due to wildlife threats). They answered," We're running up," and promptly started sprinting up the trail. In their skater shoes. Yeahhhh.

As usual, the switchbacks were gruelling and uneventful, except that Lily got a kick out of my yelling "BEAR AWARE!" every now and again. Kane mentions that the switchback trail up to Temple is tiresome, but this one is far worse! We made it to the amphitheatre to see the two boys sitting and snacking... I asked if they were going to run all the way to the peak as well, and they casually answered "Probably."

Both parties started up around the same time. There is a well-worn trail that takes you to the other side of the amphitheatre, but if you want to avoid backtracking, take the right fork in the trail after a few minutes from the beginning. It's faint, but will save a few minutes. Eventually you gain the ridge that runs along the right side of the meadw below. We stuck to the ridge, and then scrambles up the boulder field to the first summit, where we passed the two boys, who had not been running at all. (Maybe they just didn't want to hang out with us?)

We skirted right to avoid the second summit (the trail is very well marked) and then kick-stepped through some snow to get to the top. A beautiful view and a Beautiful Day! After signing the register we descended, it was pretty cold up there! The only thing to remember while descending is to turn to the right and skirt along the second summit the way you came... there is a path that leads left down a ridge that is not the descent route.

After getting off the boulders and through the amphitheatre we started down the switchbacks. After two or so we caught up to (you guessed it) the running boys, who we had last seen near the 1st summit. They were walking down very, very slowly. We continued down, me singing U2 at the top of my lungs (better than shouting BEAR AWARE I guess), took a rest on the Spirit Chair, and made it back to the parking lot in one piece. I had a minor shock when I realized that I could not see Randy's car where I thought I had parked it. How exactly do you tell your friend you lost his car? :P Fortunately it was right behind the trees at the beginning... right where it should have been! Certainly a hike I would recommend, far more scenic and interesting terrain than Rundle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Thanks for the post, I was in Banff last month and was wondering how long this trek took. Looks like fun! [8D]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hey I know you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Gorgeous! Thanks for the TR. Looks/sounds like you had a great time. I definitely want to try this one.

Now I just have to figure out all the logistical details! The climb might have to wait until next year, but it sure looks like it will be worthwhile.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:28 AM
High on the Mountain Top

First post a trip report! Nice job.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 430Marten

... I said hello, and mentioned that since we were both parties of two, we could group up (there is a limit of 4 persons in hiking parties due to wildlife threats). They answered," We're running up," and promptly started sprinting up the trail...
Are there grouped travel restrictions in this area or just recommended?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Spending time in the mountains.
Send a message via MSN to Peakbagger13

Just checked the Park website. It doesn't look like there are any restrictions for Cascade Ampitheatre.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I just had a look at the Trails section of this site, and it shows both Cascade Mountain (no info) and Cascade Amphitheatre as a 15 km. round trip. From this TR it sounds like the summits are just above/beyond the Amphitheatre.

Any more info on this?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I figured that. There is a closure along Minnewanka due to a griz sow & cubs and that is more typical if there is a bear in the area and Parks wants to prevent a conflict.

Hiking in groups of four is a good idea if you can though. (and if you trust statistics)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955

I just had a look at the Trails section of this site, and it shows both Cascade Mountain (no info) and Cascade Amphitheatre as a 15 km. round trip. From this TR it sounds like the summits are just above/beyond the Amphitheatre.

Any more info on this?
Yes, the scramble route departs right just before the amphitheatre.

If you can get your hands on Kanes book he has it written up along with the details on the one bit near the false summit that you must be sure is free of snow. Usually the Banff webcam is able to show this part. Otherwise a very straightforward well travelled route.

http://www.explorerockies.com/banff-webcam/
Upper left is Cascade.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:34 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks, Sodbuster. I'm more familiar with the north end of the Parks and Willmore/GC, but it looks like I'll have to make a point of getting down your end of the Rockies real soon.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Creation vs Evolution

Hi Peter,

My trip report here will help with the route.

http://www.geocities.com/truedino/cascade.htm

Regards
Allan A
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:53 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks, mtnview. That's about as clear as it can get! Step by step with pics! Great stuff.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: scrambles, climbing, water, fastpacking,

great hiking, great pics, on a realy nice scramble
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:

Brachiopod! (I think?) Cool stuff.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtnview

My trip report here will help with the route.
http://www.geocities.com/truedino/cascade.htm
Hmmmm, some of those look strangely familiar...
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sodbuster

First post a trip report! Nice job.

Quote:

... I said hello, and mentioned that since we were both parties of two, we could group up (there is a limit of 4 persons in hiking parties due to wildlife threats). They answered," We're running up," and promptly started sprinting up the trail...
Are there grouped travel restrictions in this area or just recommended?
I'm not sure. I think for this area they are only recommended, but I know that certain parts of the Bow Valley have them enforced throughout the year.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page