AB Nor = Alberta Rockies North (Jasper & Willmore) Spectacular Brazeau Canyon & Cataract Pass - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 08:40 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
I had forgotten how beautiful it is up on Cataract.

lobo, have you been lately to Cataract Pass? What would you expect conditions to be right now (last week of July '20)? Any issues with Brazeau River crossing @ Nigel Pass? Would you think Cataract Pass is still snowbound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
lobo, have you been lately to Cataract Pass? What would you expect conditions to be right now (last week of July '20)? Any issues with Brazeau River crossing @ Nigel Pass? Would you think Cataract Pass is still snowbound?
There is a bridge out over Nigel Creek near the beginning of the trail, but apparently there is a downed tree that spans the Creek that is easy to cross. Cataract Pass would be no problem at the moment, maybe a few drifts.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:16 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
There is a bridge out over Nigel Creek near the beginning of the trail, but apparently there is a downed tree that spans the Creek that is easy to cross. Cataract Pass would be no problem at the moment, maybe a few drifts.

Thank you. So you say it's good to go. I am looking at bomber weather next week & thinking I could set 'basecamp' at far side of Cataract Pass for couple of days, then go exploring with light pack & possibly get up Mt. Willis

How long does it take from parking to bivi spot at far side of Cataract Pass with overnight pack? Is 6 hrs ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 11:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Thank you. So you say it's good to go. I am looking at bomber weather next week & thinking I could set 'basecamp' at far side of Cataract Pass for couple of days, then go exploring with light pack & possibly get up Mt. Willis

How long does it take from parking to bivi spot at far side of Cataract Pass with overnight pack? Is 6 hrs ok?
Itís about 13 Kms, maybe a touch more with about 700-800 meter elevation gain, so I donít anticipate any problems for you. Iím not positive about the snow conditions, especially if your planning to climb something. I havenít been up there this year yet, but I am planning a day trip into the area in mid August.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 12:05 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Itís about 13 Kms, maybe a touch more with about 700-800 meter elevation gain, so I donít anticipate any problems for you. Iím not positive about the snow conditions, especially if your planning to climb something. I havenít been up there this year yet, but I am planning a day trip into the area in mid August.

Thank you; you are golden! (Willis is just a long ridge above that col that separates Cline Pass & Valley of the Lakes, so if Cataract Pass is ok, that should be ok as well)

One last question: If I decide on some sort of a loop & hike back via Cline Pass then down to Brazeau aiming to intersect standard Parks trail that links Nigel Pass with Brazeau Lake / South Boundary: I know I'd have to ford river, but do you know how much bushwhack that is?
post #21 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 12:16 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Thank you; you are golden! (Willis is just a long ridge above that col that separates Cline Pass & Valley of the Lakes, so if Cataract Pass is ok, that should be ok as well)

One last question: If I decide on some sort of a loop & hike back via Cline Pass then down to Brazeau aiming to intersect standard Parks trail that links Nigel Pass with Brazeau Lake / South Boundary: I know I'd have to ford river, but do you know how much bushwhack that is?
Sorry, I canít help you with that one as I havenít done it. Iím pretty sure that I read a TR on that route a year or two ago. If I can find it Iíll let you know. Have a great trip.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 05:01 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:

I've done the hike on Cline Creek several times, but always starting from the junction with Brazeau River, where there is a horse camp. The trail is fairly easy to find at the lower end, and remains relatively easy to follow, until about 2/3 the way up where it becomes faint. So, there is a bit of bushwhacking until a well-defined trail appears near treeline, beside the creek, and continues to just below Cline Pass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UpperClineCanyon14.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	278238  

Name:	ClinePass17.jpg
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	278240  

Name:	ClinePassSkull16.jpg
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	278242  

Name:	ValleyOfLakesGlacier18.jpg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	278244  

lobo likes this.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 09:57 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHector View Post
I've done the hike on Cline Creek several times, but always starting from the junction with Brazeau River, where there is a horse camp. The trail is fairly easy to find at the lower end, and remains relatively easy to follow, until about 2/3 the way up where it becomes faint. So, there is a bit of bushwhacking until a well-defined trail appears near treeline, beside the creek, and continues to just below Cline Pass.

Thank you, that's a great tip.

Looking more @ Google, Cline drainage seems open almost all the way down to Brazeau & angle appears quite gentle so I don't see any problems even with little bushwhack lower down.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 7.52.27 PM.png
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	278246

My only concern is Brazeau ford (trail is on the other side I believe) as waters are high right now.

Good view into Valley of the Lakes (too bad for smoke). Did you find boulder hop from Cline pass to the col above Valley of the Lakes problematic?
post #24 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 01:38 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Cline Pass to col is best started from north end of pass to avoid cliffs. The ascent is not steep, but unpleasant on loose boulders all the way to the col. Probably safest to ford Cline Creek at the campsite, then ford Brazeau.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ColToValleyofLakes19.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	278248  

Name:	ClinePassMoss193.jpg
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	278250  

Name:	ClinePassMeadow19.jpg
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	278252  

post #25 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 09:12 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHector View Post
Cline Pass to col is best started from north end of pass to avoid cliffs. The ascent is not steep, but unpleasant on loose boulders all the way to the col. Probably safest to ford Cline Creek at the campsite, then ford Brazeau.

Thank you loads for ascent line tip. I made it with no problems & there is even bit of trail forming. But drop on the other side to Afternoon Lakes valley (or Valley of the Lakes) looked considerably more steep and difficult.

Will post detail report later on. Came back same way via Cataract Pass mostly as I wanted hiking back through this out-of-this-world valley with morning sun behind my back. I understand now why lobo loves this hike so much. Cheers!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page