Cypress snowshoe advice? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Cypress snowshoe advice?

CT friends, could you give me some advice/tips on snowshoe trekking up at Cypress? My daughter is coming home from university in the UK next week and she wants me to take her up to Cypress for a snowshoe day (weather permitting). What's happening up there with parking, trails, passes etc? what are the best snowshoe hikes up there? Which ones end up with a good view?

any insights are really appreciated

Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Well I was up there trying to ski it on tuesday which was a resoundingly terrible idea. It's quite icy.

The trail for Hollyburn Mountain would be ideal.

MicroSpikes or crampons would be more ideal than Snowshoes. There is a dusting expected on tuesday, so snowshoes may be a bit nicer. Just rent from MEC or Valhalla. The MSR Lightnings or Revos would be a little better than the Atlas' but the difference is minor.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Head to Cabin Lake / Black Mountain. Stop by the old lodge (left side after entering the very last parking lot) and get free yellow tickets. Walk past the nice big lodge and the attendant checks your ticket and cross the 150m and get on the trail to the right of the Black Mtn. chair. (Green line on map). Like Blue_Bird says it is likely very packed down and you won't need snowshoes. If the Raven Quad is closed, then (I don't know if you can do this anymore) follow the orange line and head up the old road and gain the plateau that way. It's quieter but not marked in any way. You will probably need snowshoes going this way.

If you are going on the weekend you have to go up there early (like before 9 or 10) or it's quite a fiasco with car line ups, parking, etc.

Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cypressmap.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	244178  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Hey, thanks for the advice folks, that's great. We've got yakTrax/spikes so will give those a go

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I have been up there several times; to Black Mtn, St. Marks, Strachan, and Hollyburn. St. Mark's is further out and is fun, with great views. Bowen Island Lookout would make a 40 minute trip from the parking lot.

My trip reports are on CT Here, so you can so a search on my Nick and any one of these places.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:34 PM
Summit Master

xj6, I don't know current conditions but if it is favorable & you have energy I'd recommend continuing from Cabin Lake to Eagle Bluffs. I've seen far more than my fair share of vistas in my life, but that one ranks easily among top 10 worldwide.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

much thanks for the advice Karvitk and Zeljkok, I've only ever done the black mtn, cabin lake and st marks etc in summer. Yeah, on a good day those would be great views

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page