Fee's to snowshoe on Seymour? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Fee's to snowshoe on Seymour?

How do you feel about having to pay a fee to snowshoe on Mt. Seymour?

I don't mind paying for trail fees in the US national forests because I know the money goes for trail maintenance etc. but I'm against paying money for Mt. Seymour. First of all, the trails are in a provincial park and not on privately owned and operated land. Secondly the fee is not going towards making, maintaining, and grooming trails or anything else up there like it is on Cypress.

See you on the mountain!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 01:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I guess it depends on what sort of "trail maintenance" they do. I started snowshoeing last winter and went up Cypress a couple of times, but in the Black mtn. area (free) instead of the pay area. The trails in the free area seemed fine to me. Does the $4 pay for a bunch of staff to go thru the trails first thing in the morning and break the trail? It doesn't sound right to me. What is the difference in the pay area on Cypress compared to the pay area on Seymour or any free unmaintained area?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 03:24 PM

How long has this been effect? I was there last year after Christmas and just drove in and hit the trail. Was planning on doing the same this year if conditions were good.

Thanks,
UB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 03:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

We've paid at Seymour for the past 2 years (used the park trails once & didn't another).

Is there a fine if you don't pay? We went as a group and some needed to rent, but I would've just walked on if we didn't. Hard to not pay when you go into the rental hut.

Are there maps online for the Black Mtn area? Any recommended routes for families? The kids are 9 & 11, and an iffy 5 year old (but she has snowshoes).

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 05:34 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: cycling, hiking (snowshoeing in Winter), skiing, cooking, gardening,photography, etc. etc. and motorcycling, too

You don't have to pay if you go up the trail to the left of the chairlift. At least you didn't last year. It's the same trail where you would hike up in the summer. It goes all the way to the top of the mountain. The trails where you pay, actually have someone patrolling them. Last year they did, anyway. Those trails would be more suitable for family snowshoeing. Not too difficult. If you took your kids up the mountain trail, I'm sure they would find it too difficult because it's all uphill.

DR
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 06:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

The Cypress maps are here:
http://cypressmountain.com/trail.html
The black mountain trail roughly goes up the red dotted line to the left of the parking area in the downhill area map. Its a bit of a long and boring uphill at the start but once you get higher it levels out and there are lots of loops to do. If you have beginners with you I'd either pay the $6 and go to the showshoe area, or I believe there is also free snowshoeing up to Hollyburn Mtn. from the cross country area, but I've never tried this route.

When you go up Black Mtn. you have to pass a Cypress bowl employee at the gate that gives you a free backcountry ticket, just so you're "official" i guess.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 07:58 PM

The trail that I shoed on was at the very end of the parking lot at Seymour. Not sure where the lifts were. Seems like a sign said it went to the top.

Do you think that is one of the free ones? Hope so.

When we were there we talked with a ranger? for about 1/2 hour and he said nothing about a pass etc.

Was a very pretty trail and would like to do it again this year.

Wish their map worked on the website.

Thanks,
UB

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 08:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Does anyone have this book?

http://www.elaho.ca/snowshoe.htm

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 12:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Hi Nancy S
I think I saw that book in the Vancouver Public Library but it was a reference book so you can't take it out but read it there.
Good luck.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 01:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I'm in Langley so it would be easier just to buy the book than head all the way down there.

Just got back from Liquidation World in White Rock. Bought Snowshoe Routes: Washington for 49 pennies. We have access to a place by Baker, so I'll have to decide if it's a twosome weekend, or a family weekend when we go.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I saw that Vancouver snowshoe book at MEC being sold at the gadget counter last weekend.

To be honest there isn't much to it.

I'll be up on Seymour Thursday snowshoeing with my daughter and down to Mt. Baker on Fri or saturday snowshoeing with Tundra.

See you on the mountain!

Edited by - Hiker Boy on 12/23/2002 3:39:17 PM
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 08:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Please post about your trips. Most of the Washington trips are beyond our ability, but I did find 2 that we'll look into. I want to hear about the Seymour one too. Maybe I can convince the kidlets to leave their presents for a while and get outside.

We need to do a snow dance for local snow. I'd like to get them out in a local park for a walk.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 11:10 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.

I was up at Seymour yesterday and was chatting with Andy Boniface. He's the Snowboard and Special Events Manager at Seymour. I asked about the payments for the snowshoe trails. Apparently everything left of the lift is considered "backcountry" and isn't subject to the fees. The fees are for the trails to the right. He indicated that they have the fees to the right as they are frequently patrolled and cleaned up by Mount Seymour staff. They are intended to be more of the family or novice trails where people may require more markings and assistance.

post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 08:07 PM

Cool...Thanks for the info. That's good to hear.

UB

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page