• 1 Post By alexcanuck
  • 1 Post By Dru
  • 1 Post By trick
  • 1 Post By Aqua Terra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Question Snowshoe Widgeon Lake?

Has anyone hiked/snowshoed widgeon lake in the winter? Thinking of doing it in a couple weeks and camping at the lake overnight.
We are intermediate snowshoers and have done Allouette and Evans peak in Golden Ears recently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Summit Master

I would assume that currently it would be a bit icy, so have some sort of light crampon device handy, the last slope is steep and may require an ice axe in some conditions
activegirl49 likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Only camped there in the fall but what a beautiful place to bivouac. Look forward to a TR. (:
activegirl49 likes this.

Every journey begins with one small step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Hittin' the Trails

My sister was up there with a group of friends last weekend. Here is what she has to say on the matter:

Quote:
The first part of the hike is quite easy, minimal incline and relatively wide path. No snow to speak of. A little higher up, there is more and more snow on the path but it’s still possible to hike without snowshoes. It isn’t until you hit the last bridge – a rickety old wooden affair with chicken wire on it to give your boots grip, the trail takes a sharp, steep turn left just after it – that the snow becomes something that requires snowshoes.

I went with a group of about eight people on January 9/10, 2016, leaving the dock on Pitt Lake at around 8:30AM. We had three canoes and one kayak, and as far as I know you cannot rent canoes at the Pitt Lake dock during the winter. Arrived at Widgeon Creek campground around 9:30AM, and started hiking around 10:00AM. We made very good time to the last bridge, and beyond that there is more logging road with deeper and deeper snow. We put on snowshoes here, and while it was tiring it went okay. However, the last part of the trail is extremely difficult. You reach a point where you take a sharp turn upwards into the trees, just after you see sunlight coming through the trees and think you’ve reached the lake. This is not the case. You have to go up and over a ridge, first, and the snow is DEEP.

One of our group members did not have snowshoes, and as a 6’4’’, over 200 lb man he was sinking in, often up to his waist, with every step and having a lot of difficulty getting up. The path traverses creek-beds and crosses roots and fallen trees, and every time you sink in there is a risk of getting your foot stuck or falling through to water or rocks below. So, snowshoes required, as far as I’m concerned! That said, we had two individuals follow us up afterwards wearing nothing but microspikes, and they did quite well. They also had a lot more general experience with snow and difficult hiking terrain than the rest of us. Even with snowshoes, there was much breaking through the snow and falling into holes from the rest of us.

Around 3:15/3:30PM we called a stop to the hike, because we did not know how much farther we had to go. Our GPS units GPS said it was less than 1km and 150 m of elevation left to go, but a few of our group members (myself included) were extremely worn out and it was unclear whether we would be able to make that distance with the daylight we had left, and be in fit shape to set up camp in the dark if we did get there. We backtracked for about five or ten minutes to a spot on the trail where we could carve out a couple of tent pads from the side of the trail and set up camp. This was where our other two group members caught up with us, and though they had been determined to reach the lake they stopped to set up camp with us.

The next morning, four of our group members decided to pack up their bags, leave them at the camp and continue on to the lake, while the rest of us started back down. The trip down was much easier than the trip up (obviously) even for the group member without snowshoes. It seemed there was a harder crust on the snow that early in the morning, plus wading out of a hole downhill is very much easier than wading out of it heading uphill. We left camp at about 10:15AM, arrived at Widgeon Creek about 2:50PM, after a slow and leisurely last few kilometres (I had a bad chest cough and one leg was bothering me, we also stopped to filter some water at one of the creek beds).

We waited at Widgeon Creek Campground for the other four members of our group, and they arrived about forty-five minutes later. Three of them were probably the fittest members of our group, and it had taken them half-an-hour (without packs) to get to the lake from where we had spent the night. Given how much slower the rest of us had been going the afternoon before, it seemed that we had made a good choice to stop and set up camp where we did.

We got back to the Pitt Lake dock just as the sun was going down on the 10th. The main points, I suppose are that it is crucial (in my opinion) to have snowshoes – particularly those with crampons and grip all along the outer frame, not just in the middle of the shoe and
under your foot. You want to be able to dig in side of the shoe for going up the last difficult part; poles are also very useful. I did all right without, but was much better balanced when another group member lent me one of his. Second, in hindsight I would have taken a shovel of some kind to make it easier to set up camp wherever we needed to (we made it work, but a shovel would have gone a long way). And third, start earlier than we did to maximize daylight, and make sure you are ready to park it on the side of the trail if it turns out you’re not able to make it all the way.

The trail is well flagged, with orange tape and the plastic diamonds, but I would also recommend having GPS waypoints. Unfortunately, I’m not too sure where my other group members got them from, but I think they were available on the internet.

I have never snowshoed before, but I did all right according to my more experienced group members. I have no experience with Alouette or Evan’s Peak, so not too sure what ‘intermediate’ snowshoer really signifies. Hopefully some of this information helps someone out there.
activegirl49 likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thank you so much for the excellent detailed info! Sounds like it was quite an adventure!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Avalanche risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by activegirl49 View Post
Thank you so much for the excellent detailed info! Sounds like it was quite an adventure!
Is this area known for avalanches?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

The only potential avy slopes would be on the opposite side of the lake from your camping area. The way up is all forest pretty much.
activegirl49 likes this.

Every journey begins with one small step.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 AM
High on the Mountain Top

It's quite the climb up, don't take it lightly. No serious hazards other than exist on all steep trails climbing to sub-alpine. Avy only under great big dump conditions, slip and slide on icy slopes in big trees is the risk as a rule.
activegirl49 likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Tree wells, slip and fall from improper footwear/traction devices, going slow, getting lost, hypothermia are more likely hazards than avalanches here. The comment about needing a shovel and not having a shovel is pretty spot on.
activegirl49 likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 08:43 PM
Off the Beaten Path

While I would probably agree with "intermediate snowshoe" designation for Widgeon Lake, but the term "intermediate" covers a pretty big range.
activegirl49 likes this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 11:35 PM
Summit Master

add overnight gear and a group of several various fit, and things change drastically,
activegirl49 likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Found Microspike - Red M- Widgeon lake trail

Alex, did someone in your group lose a red size medium microspike? We found one on the snowy portion of the trail up to Widgeon lake today. If so, let me know and we can arrange to get it back to you
Tony (that you spoke to at MEC about Widgeon hike/ice picks)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page