Backcountry ski repair kit? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By gesplin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Backcountry ski repair kit?

What's in your touring repair kit? Lots of suggestions online but thought I'd start a discussion here. With the growing interest in backcountry pursuits, it can't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 01:26 AM
High on the Mountain Top

We had a binding break on the weekend. We were close enough to the trailhead that we were able to get back to the car without needing to do any further transitions but it certainly caused us to think.

I think the simplest thing you can do is have enough supplies to fashion a rudimentary snowshoe. That can be your back-up plan for a wide range of severe problems (lost ski, ski broken in half, bindings exploded, etc.)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Off the Beaten Path

3 ski straps and a multitool with appropriate screw drivers. I guess I also have spare ski pole bails that I don't usually bring, and wax, but I don't think of that as repair gear.

Apart from simple binding adjustments I've had a few situations in the backcountry:

* rear heel fell off: locked toes, pretended to be a telemarker and skiied out.
* brakes wouldn't lock in touring mode: big annoyance, nothing really bad happened, but skis sat in the shop for a few weeks after
* front pin sheared off: this was pretty bad, I tried to fix my boot to the ski with straps & somebody's paracord, but simply couldn't get anywhere near the amount of strength required, even for gentle skiing, and skis make really awkward snowshoes if your heel is fixed. On a long trip, it may be worthwhile to carry a spare binding toe.
* frozen binding parts: with enough patience, this can be solved, but a multitool/pocket knife/screw driver can speed up the process

I've never had a lost ski, but I highly recommend leashes over brakes: they're just way more simple with less that can go wrong about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Climbing, hiking, SCUBA, kayaking

Add spare binding screws and fast-setting epoxy glue. Also a good practice to wind a couple of meters of duct tape below the grip of yer ski pole. Can be used to close serious wounds, hold together boots that have fallen apart, etc. Make sure that your swiss army knife has an appropriate philips screw driver. London Drugs is presently selling a miniature "multitool" for a few dollars that seems to have lot of neat features for repairing broken kit.
vern.dewit likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Some good advice here. If we wanted to expand on this topic it might be useul for people to describe some of the problems they've had with skis/bindings and how they solved them. Would also be good to know what bindings were being used etc...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 11:29 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

Once the bar at toe of my NNN boots became bent from a crash and would not engage the binding, thankfully not backcountry! It was impossible to straighten even in the comfort of home so I had to toss the boots :-(. Anyone else run into this condition and find a fix?

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Can't help you Trail Talk...

I was out today for the first time on new bindings- Fritschi Diamer Vipec 12. It was about -2 with fresh, wet heavy snow. I read a review a few days ago of snow build-up inside the heal piece, preventing sliding forward (into ski mode) and back (into walk mode). This happened to me. Warming it to melt the snow/ice, or trying to get a little tool inside the heal piece from the back to loosen the snow out are possible solutions. Trying to force the heal piece is not a good idea, as the binding is mostly plastic. Pain in the ass....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 04:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I had the heel of my Dynafits blow completely apart on the way up Youngs Peak Traverse last year! After driving all the way from Calgary to Rogers Pass there was no way I was going to simply limp back to the car and wait for everyone else to have a fantastic tour. Out came the duct tape and a strap! I had to literally pick springs off the trail and stuff the binding back together but it held the entire day, even while locked in.

I second the idea of bringing a spare toe piece. You can always get out as long as you have a toe piece and boot.

Vern Dewit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page