Whistler, North Shore ski resorts take heed - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing
Default Whistler, North Shore ski resorts take heed

Think of it what you will, thousands of skiers around the world are enjoying uphill skiing at resorts. Why? Cardio for the sake of cardio. Something fun on a high avy danger day. Guide needing a mellow situation for a new client. Dog walking. Testing gear. Skimo race training. You name it.

Well, today Crested Butte Mountain Resort announced their USFS-approved uphilling policy. With that, in our opinion Crested Butte is now leading other North American resorts in accommodating rapidly growing sport of uphill resort skiing in as official and above-board fashion as possible.

http://www.wildsnow.com/8773/uphill-...n-resort-cbmr/

It is the future, we need uphill tracks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Cypress and Seymour already have uphill trails right beside the ski runs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scottN

At Seymour, the uphill trail is not associated with the ski resort. In fact, I believe the ski hill strongly discourages those skinning up from using their runs back downhill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Cypress seems to be pretty against uphill traffic but they do have an official policy online: http://cypressmountain.com/uphill-policy

Whistler is a bit more confusing. Seems uphill is OK if you have a pass and stay off their radar. No official policy I can find though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by burnabyhiker

Quote:

At Seymour, the uphill trail is not associated with the ski resort. In fact, I believe the ski hill strongly discourages those skinning up from using their runs back downhill.
They're fine with you skiing down if you have a valid lift pass.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

I go to Seymour. Have been for the last 10 years. Usually it is OK but on two occasions in the past two years I was told off by a ski patroller. They caught me when crossing over from the ski run to the trail at the bottom of Manning. My response is that I am learning to ski and I am not confident to ski down the trail.

I'd be happy to pay for self-propelled pass. $5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hafilax

Quote:

Quote:

They're fine with you skiing down if you have a valid lift pass.
Charge me a non-lift pass of $5 and I'd probably pay.
Though I'd expect to be able to use the upper parking lot then.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I feel a little behind on the times never hearing of this before.

So you're supposed to ski...uphill?

Can someone explain this to me please. [?]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

That may be the "official" position, but I've never had any issues skiing back down the runs after going up the backcountry trail, especially early in the morning when the lifts aren't even operating yet.

However, I have seen people skinning and snowshoeing directly up runs while the lifts were operating, instead of using the backcountry trail, which is just asking for trouble.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: this and that, here and there I may be boring, but i\'m never really bored... and that\'s all that matters. Isn\'t it?

get a pair of collapsing ski poles. tuck one into your pack. tell the patroller you dropped a pole and you're just climbing up to get it. tell the patroller you feel it's smart to wear skins cuz it's easier than sidestepping or herringboning uphill.
...oh and you can't go down and take the lift up because it was a gift from your significant other that's waiting at the bottom and you don't want to be in the doghouse for not respecting the expensive gift.

if the patroller calls backup to stop you then...SIGH, remove skins, SIGH, and pull out the 2nd pole and ski down hooting and hollering "WooHoo, downhill ROCKS!!".

[)]

back in the day...i'm talking 70's early 80's perhaps. It was fairly common to see people skinning/hiking/snowshoeing up the side of Collins Run. IMO it's a lot safer than all the people that seem to just sit in the middle of runs.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, mountain biking, skiing, talking to my puppy, trekking in Nepal

On days like yesterday bad visibility and no new snow I ski down Symphony and skin up to the saddle.Great for my fitness and a mellow day on the hill.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

Quote:
quote: back in the day...i'm talking 70's early 80's perhaps. It was fairly common to see people skinning/hiking/snowshoeing up the side of Collins Run.
Thats true, pre peak chair days
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I believe resorts may have a tenure that applies to lift accessed skiing and they can't restrict self propelled access to the same crown land. Its not a huge issue here but it does happen and the concern is that many of the skiers won't be looking for someone coming up. It is that danger that is the larger concern I believe. Be respectful and dont skin up the middle of the busiest runs
post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Beer before hiking.

You guy's have no idea of what happened in the past. Cypress was one of the worst for going after ski touring when they opened their xcountry area. Seymour soon fell right behind. Whistler use to give you a free pass if you ski to the top, but that changed to get the f%$# off the mountain. Been skiing for over 40 years and have had many confrontations with the ski patrol. Started getting after the provincial government for there policy of letting private companies blocking access to public parks. Sent letters to ski hill operators threatening to start boycots of future licencing of any expansion or new ski developments. Those suckers use to explain it away as liability issues over having people going up ski runs WTF. Well get proper insurance you bozos. What about the people laying all over the slopes wiping out and the people snow boarding breakneck past kiddies? I generally try to ride their lifts for free now.[}]
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I wonder if we could get this issue on the NDP's radar. Keeping private companies from getting too greedy seems to be up their alley.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page