Joffre Couloir - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Freeride mountain biking,road riding,cross country riding,rock climbing,ice hockey
Default Joffre Couloir

A short video from a ski of the Joffre couloir.There was some much snow this spring we we're
able to ski in from the top.A stellar ski line, all fall line on the North Face of Joffre Peak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzuxi1d3vfc

Filmed by Andy Traslin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Cowboys from hell pretty much sums it up Fun looking Ski trip!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

That's nuts. Great video. Thanks for sharing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding

Good one.... Pantera? Some pretty hard music there..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I agree good song choice! Looks like that Skiing is far beyond me for sure!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

wow thanks for sharing...
Thats pretty intense

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:14 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ATraslin

A short video from a ski of the Joffre couloir.There was some much snow this spring we we're
able to ski in from the top.A stellar ski line, all fall line on the North Face of Joffre Peak.

Filmed by Andy Traslin

Ever read the story on bivouac.com about the guy who attempted to snowboard that line but ended up yard sale-ing the entire couloir?

Nice vid, it makes it look so mellow in there.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by J Mace

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ATraslin

Filmed by Andy Traslin

Ever read the story on bivouac.com about the guy who attempted to snowboard that line but ended up yard sale-ing the entire couloir?

Nice vid, it makes it look so mellow in there.
Nice vid indeed, that is a gnarly ski line!

Just to clarify, it was a skier who yard saled down the colouir, his snowboarder friend retrieved the ski and came to the rescue
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Summit Master

Andy, great TR as usual.

The bivouac report is gripping reading - might make some people rethink their dodgy snow pickets placed vertically.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Freeride mountain biking,road riding,cross country riding,rock climbing,ice hockey

Does anyone have the link for the bivouac trip report.I thought it might have been from the
central couloir.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Ungated copy:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/51202-TR-Chief-Pascall-Joffre-Weekend-of-Camping-and-Dialin-it-in!?p=723082#post723082
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Bivouac.com Trip Page Home NathanC
Ski Descent of Central Couloir on Joffre Peak by Kyle Christenson
Radius Search Topo JavaMap ZoomMap . Print

Subject Mountain: Joffre Peak
Ranges: Pacific Cordillera / Coast Mountains / Pacific Ranges / Lillooet Ranges / Joffre Group
Regions: BC Coast / Lillooet Ranges / Matier

March 11, 2006 (1 days) Calculated Length: 12 km
Abstract: A one day attempt on the central couloir without ascending it.
Difficulty: 5: Steep and Narrow
Equipment: Ski, snowboard, 30m 6mm rope, 2 pickets, crampons, 2 mountaineering ice axes, webbing. Value: 32
Access:
Trip Report: Out of request from several members I have decided to share this trip report with you all, even though it is embarrassing.

My partner, who shall remain unnamed, and I skied the Central Couloir of Joffre Peak. We ascended the Australian Couloir on the south side of the peak to the summit from Keith's Hut. After cutting part of the cornice on the top of the central couloir we set up an anchor out of webbing on a large rock. My partner rappelled over the cornice into the couloir on a 30 m 8mm rope. The rope left us just shy of a more open section of the couloir, so he kicked steps down another 10 ft with the safety of an ice axe. I followed the same line down into the couloir.

After applying skis we had a route finding decisions. Two choices, left or right. Left is less steep, 55-60 degrees but it also turns a corner and the line is not all visible. Right is a 60-70 degree spine wall. Right is initially more scary, but I think in the long run it is easier (not 100 percent sure, but I think this line goes through). My partner and I decided to take the left line because the turns looked more fun. As it turns the corner it gets cliffed out. We set up an anchor with a single picket to rappel off of.

My partner went first because of the less maneuverable position of his snowboard. The 30m rope was not long enough. He ended up being about 15 feet above the couloir. He rappelled off the end of the rope with an ice axe in hand and self arrested on his toe side edge in the couloir. I proceeded to repeat the same maneuver on skis. I tied a knot in one end of the rope so it would come with me when I went off one end. As I neared the end of the rope I found all of the snow to be scraped off of the cliff/face into the couloir. I decided that I could not repeat the same move and self arrest on hard pack and rock. I started to push myself to the side, where I could go down a larger section with softer snow. In doing so, I twisted my anchor “picket” out of the snow.

Unprepared I began to tumble backward down into the couloir. My tele bindings blew off pretty quick and I tomahawked down the couloir. I hit a lot of rock and ice on the way down, breaking my helmate and nothing else. I finally came to rest about 20 feet above the bergschrund tangled up in my rope with a picket and one of my skis. I ended up to be ok, swelling and bruising in many places, but ok. My partner rode down the couloir and picked up my other ski and polls. I would suggest to others skiing the couloir to take a 60m rope, like the one we left at the car due to its extra wieght.

Associated Photo Essays

post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 02:56 PM
DPM
Off the Beaten Path

Nice one ATraslin! (yet again)

That TR about the Central Couloir is crazy...
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the beta.A lot of poeple make mistakes in the mountains.I think the main
thing is you learn and you made it out safely.I kept hearing it was a snowboarder who
tomahawked.If I attempt that one.Defintley bringing a 60 metre rope.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page