Telemark Lessons - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking,Cycling,Paddling, cross country skiing, Hockey,Travel
Default Telemark Lessons

I have telemark skied for several years now but would liketo brush up on my technique. Does anyone know of any telemark lessons being offerred in the Vancouver area that would be tailored to intermediate skiers

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 11:00 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Cypress and Whistler both offer telemark lessons.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, climbing, photography

I've done a lesson at Cypress and it was very good. My wife and I just started freeheeling last winter and a few friends have commented on how surprised they are that we've only been doing this a year - I think that's in large part thanks to the lesson. The Whistler option is quite good as well, I think, if you can take advantage of one of the Whistler Discovery Days or whatever they're called (all day lessons at half price).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: whitewater canoeing backcounty skiing hiking

I think one of the mountaineering clubs (ACC?) does lessons at Cypress on a week night, but I believe they're geared towards beginners.

Once you're rippin' up the blue runs, a great way to get beyond intermediate is to take the instructors course. Many of the good tele skiers I know have taken this course, mostly as way to learn, very few of them intended to teach. Unfortunately, intructor courses tend to be a bit pricey.

http://www.cansi.ca/en/

And there's always Allan & Mike's cartoon book on tele technique - I've honestly found it really helpful!

PY.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Cypress only offers private tele lessons which go at $79/hour. They used to have group lessons on Tuesday & Thursday nights, but they stopped offering them a few years ago.

The Whistler lessons are a better deal at $115/day. They're a fantastic deal at $69/day during Discover Whistler Days (Dec 1-21, Jan 14 - Feb 8, Apr 7-20).

At $375 ($300 with early registration) the three day CANSI Level 1 course is good value. Your technique will get analysed to the point where you may doubt that you even know how to ski, but you'll come out of it a better skier. More importantly, the course will give you the tools to recognize and fix technique problems.

The Vancouver ACC usually has a couple of tele lesson nights at Cypress through the winter. The split between beginner and intermediate lessons depends on the skill level of the folks that come out, and how many instructors there are.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: whitewater canoeing backcounty skiing hiking

Hey, I have a telemark DVD I'd be willing to part with...

Honestly, you probably won't learn too much from watching a video (compared to real live instruction), but it might be of interest to someone.

NATO's "The Joy of Telemark Skiing"
http://store02.prostores.com/servlet...ore/StoreFront

They sell it for $US 30, plus shipping. Make me an offer if you're interested.

I can't believe I haven't been out yet![V]

Cheers, Pat.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I'd be interested in putting together a group telemark lesson. There don't seem to be regularly scheduled lessons on any of the local hills and the Whistler ones are unreliable.

But we could put together a group lesson with Alpha Adventures (http://www.outdooradventurestore.ca/) or the ACC if there is enough interest.

I am advanced alpine skier and have tried to learn telemark on my own but have had no formal instruction. So I am looking for a fairly basic lesson that corrects some of the mistakes I am probably picking up.

Anyone else interested?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I know this thread is very old but now that ski season is coming around again, i am interested if anyone is.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I am still interested. We need a minimum of three people. Anyone else?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Who is offering instruction
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

I believe that Whistler-Blackcomb discontinued their full day telemark lesson in the middle of last year. Private lessons only. It looks like Manning Park might be offering telemark group lessons this year.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I was thinking about getting group lessons from Alpha Adventures (http://www.outdooradventurestore.ca/) at Cypress. It was $100 per person for 5 hours.

I just called them and they are not ready to go for the season yet and may have new prices for this year.

As scottN pointed out W-B has discontinued their tele workshop. It seems like it is getting hard to find instruction in this area.

I was thinking about an intro lesson. So Fram, it might be different than what you are looking for.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I can put you in touch with a few CANSI instructors who may be willing to set something up with you. I'd offer to do it, but don't have the time.

If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you their contact info.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:29 AM

Hi,

I haven't actually done any activities with ClubTread, but often check out your forum. I am quite interested in tele group lessons. I have been doing tele for a couple of years, but too sporadically to get anywhere with it.

I called Alpha Adventures and left my name with them if anybody else would be interested in signing up for either of the lesson options:

1. Full Day of Instruction. Spend a day learning how to free that heel! This option includes 5 hours of instruction and your lift pass at Cypress Bowl. 3-4 people= $100.00 per person. You will need to provide your own ski equipment. Should you need to rent please call us @ (604) 885-8838. We can arrange excellent rental packages for you at Cypress Mountain.

2. Evening of Instruction. Hone your skills with an exciting evening session. This option includes 2 hours of instruction and your lift pass at Cypress Bowl. 3-4 people= $60.00 per person. You will need to provide your own ski equipment. Should you need to rent please call us @ (604) 885-8838. We can arrange excellent rental packages for you at Cypress Mountain.

Cheers
Jill
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by yarnellboat

I think one of the mountaineering clubs (ACC?) does lessons at Cypress on a week night, but I believe they're geared towards beginners.
BCMC has one tele clinic this year. Last year we had two, one for beginners, and one for intermediate skiers, but Isabel is too busy this year to schedule more than one. However, all trips with instructional component are for BCMC members only (membership is $45 per year).
http://bcmc.ca/Schedule/showtrip.asp?id=1442

I hope this helps.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page