ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Hiking with man's best friend (Dog trails & talk) (https://forums.clubtread.com/12-hiking-man-s-best-friend-dog-trails-talk/)
-   -   12 years later... (https://forums.clubtread.com/12-hiking-man-s-best-friend-dog-trails-talk/94224-12-years-later.html)

John and Katie 01-24-2021 03:34 AM

12 years later...

4 Attachment(s)
Vestibular and 13 years, yet I still can't keep up with her. : )

Still rocking the head tilt and her balance isn't what it was previous, so we are connected by leash when in precarious terrain and/or snow conditions are prime for a slip and slide.

Our biggest day yet since vestibular struck was today up to Mt. Windsor. Two other trips up to Alouette Mtn via the West Canyon lot this new year. Both leash free and she did very well. A steep and rugged trail. : )

martin 01-27-2021 08:10 PM

Awesome :) Don't work her too hard!

John and Katie 01-29-2021 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 854606)
Awesome :) Don't work her too hard!

Who is pushing who.... : )

KARVITK 02-28-2021 10:05 PM

Truly amazing and stunning milestone; awesome Katey can still these trips at her advanced age. Kudos to you both for such an accomplished friendship mass of hikes, snowshoes, and all neat trips.

I feel honoured to have shared a few hikes with you in the past.

Look forward to your next adventures.

All the best;

K

John and Katie 03-01-2021 07:25 PM

Hey, thanks Karl. She is not where she was pre-vestibular, but she is doing great otherwise. February was very kind to us with lots of Frommes, an Alouette via Mike Lake, Dilly Dally via Swan Falls (parked outside the gate) and an attempt at the two Nutts this past saturday. Thanks again.

acapaloga 04-03-2021 04:05 AM

Your photos look amazing! My Larbrador will be 3 years old this month and I really want to go on a trip with him. I can see how energetic he is, so I think this is going to be a really memorable adventure for both of us. Since this will be the first trip for both him and me, I'm a little worried about how it will go. In the meantime, I'm choosing a place to go and learn all the most important things about hiking at Sam's Outdoors 2021. I would be grateful for any of your advice and suggestions for us! Thank you in advance!

John and Katie 04-14-2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acapaloga (Post 855342)
Your photos look amazing! My Larbrador will be 3 years old this month and I really want to go on a trip with him. I can see how energetic he is, so I think this is going to be a really memorable adventure for both of us. Since this will be the first trip for both him and me, I'm a little worried about how it will go. In the meantime, I'm choosing a place to go and learn all the most important things about hiking at Sam's Outdoors 2021. I would be grateful for any of your advice and suggestions for us! Thank you in advance!

Your original post changed since I last saw it. Katie is the first dog I have hiked with, so I am far from an expert and careful about sharing advice. Sure, here she is still leaving paw prints up high, but it could all be pure luck for all I know. I give her a lot of freedom to do what she wants out there and I think that has to led to a very confident girl in her steps. I trust her to make her own safe route choices. She can think for herself, and I love that about her.
All the best to you and your dog.

John and Katie 04-14-2021 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acapaloga (Post 855342)

Your original post changed since I last saw it. Katie is the first dog I have hiked with, so I am far from an expert and careful about sharing advice. Sure, here she is still leaving paw prints up high, but it could all be pure luck for all I know. I give her a lot of freedom to do what she wants out there and I think that has led to a very confident girl in her steps. I trust her to make her own safe route choices. She can think for herself, and I love that about her. Do I recommend that to you, no. Every dog is different.
All the best to you and your dog.

John and Katie 04-18-2021 08:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Williams Ridge yesterday. Two bumps shy of the full length of the ridge. Trail up to the ridge is a mess with fresh tree debris and blowdowns. Snowshoes went on around 1100m.

It's been awhile since we have been in the Chilliwack River Valley and it felt great to be back. Had the entire place to ourselves, truck to truck.

I took a bad spill near the bottom on descent and cut open an ear pretty good. I also dropped my phone and didn't realize it until the very bottom. Had to go back up and Katie was not too pleased. Eventually found it.

Went to the hospital after dropping Katie off and had 4 stitches put in.

Still an amazing day up high.

Katie is doing well. Still has the head tilt and doesn't quite have the full balance back. I suspect she never will. She is starting to slow down too. She was behind me for much of the descent.

KARVITK 04-20-2021 04:53 PM

Looks like a wonderful day out, despite your tumble. great to see you both enjoying our beautiful outdoors

K

sixer 05-03-2021 02:47 PM

Your posts bring me joy! So nice to see you and Katie out and about, you two are troopers! 😁

John and Katie 05-17-2021 02:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It's been over 2 years since we have topped out on Nutt North, but it hasn't gone by without a few failures for various reasons. We're not washed up, yet. : )

zeljkok 05-17-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John and Katie (Post 855812)

Howl .. who cares about Nutts .. take me to Robbie Reid ... Howwwwllll

John and Katie 05-17-2021 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeljkok (Post 855814)
Howl .. who cares about Nutts .. take me to Robbie Reid ... Howwwwllll

She says Mt. Martyn first. I did it solo several years back and we tried a few years ago, but we turned-tail because of a huge mess of big blowdowns just after the diving in point.

John and Katie 05-23-2021 01:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hat Mountain in yesterday's amazing weather. It was nice to enjoy the summit free of the typical spring bugs too, although we just lingered long enough to eat lunch. We wanted to be out from under Brunswick before noon. Yes, Katie had her sardines.

No snowshoes needed, but crampons (not microspikes) and ice axe recommended. Especially for that steep traverse you are immediately met with when you jump off the Brunswick trail onto the HSCT. After that boots would have been just fine, but I kept the crampons on to the summit anyway. I had them on, so why not.

We had Hat all to ourselves (once past the Tunnel Bluffs turnoff).

On the way down the old road we heard what sounded like two helicopters buzzing around the Hat/Brunswick/Harvey peaks. I had to live update our Instagram followers that they were not for us. : )