12 years later... - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2021, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
What is it (how much?) In my time it was free, although it was next to impossible to get spot at trailhead. Lower down by the school (~10 min extra walk) it was fine. This is probably history nowdays
$3 an hour. A few weeks back you could still park for free at the school, but that may have changed since. ; )

Edit to add I do understand why it is pay parking for the prime spots. It's a popular place since the Tunnel Bluffs trailhead was moved to there. They are also providing portable toilets at the Sunset lot and at the school.

And one more picture, because above I said a few. : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211029_134659.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	289610  

Last edited by John and Katie; 11-01-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2021, 05:12 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

As of Nov 1, parking is free for the winter, at the Lions trailhead and on the streets. Paid parking resumes Apr 1 2022.
post #48 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2021, 06:08 PM
Summit Master

It is so interesting noting recurring patterns on different geographic locations, all because of ever increasing human onslaught. In Vic they charge Thetis Lake parking in season too, just like Lions; in US places like Zion NP can't be accessed by car in season (shuttle). In Lake Louise in Rockies, they have Park&Ride now because parking lots simply can't accommodate all the cars. Etc etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2021, 08:30 PM
Summit Master

The Lions Bay trailhead parking fiasco was mostly driven by two things, 1) Tunnel Bluffs hike appearing in the hiking book (15 years ago nobody hiked there) and 2) Highways dept. blocking off parking on the viewpoint (the traditional trailhead) and along the side of the highway, funneling everyone onto Lions Bay streets.
post #50 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2021, 08:37 PM
Summit Master

Btw if anyone would like free parking next year please PM me as I live quite close to the TH now
zeljkok likes this.
post #51 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2021, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Btw if anyone would like free parking next year please PM me as I live quite close to the TH now
I was going to say you are very brave to post that on CT, but then realized it's in the dog section where no one will see it. I dare you to post it in the BC trip report section. : )

Well done in moving there...very cool.
martin likes this.
post #52 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2021, 10:39 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
I was going to say you are very brave to post that on CT, but then realized it's in the dog section where no one will see it. I dare you to post it in the BC trip report section. : )

Looking at CT popularity nowdays, I doubt it would make much difference ;=) But agreed in general with your comment.

martin, Katie might pay you a visit after this sometime. Get these pepperoni sticks ready. Or soggy fish
martin likes this.
post #53 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2021, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

A few to share from some recent hikes. First one is from a trip up to Spahat at Buntzen. The crux was the crossing of that creek at El Paso Junction twice on a rainy day. It was flowing pretty good, but she got herself across meticulously.

Last two are from yesterday as we made an attempt at Hat Mtn. in some wild weather. Downpours of hail, snow and rain throughout our day. No wind, thankfully.
Freezing level stayed around 900m all day, so most of our time was in the falling snow. Very wet below that, however.
She crossed the log bridge over Magnesia Creek on her own both ways. No problems, but for wracking my nerves. That bridge is much easier these days. Double logs with a wire mesh material on the surfaces. Still a handrail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211107_140016.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	289676  

Name:	20211106_105814.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	289678  

Name:	20211107_140111.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	289680  

martin and ColdBrook like this.
post #54 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2021, 09:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

I'm welcoming an 8 week old yellow retriever to the family in a week. Its been quite a few years since I have been able to take a dog with me. Last time I had a black lab that was doing multi hour hikes at about 9 months old. what do you think is the scale up for hikes for a young dog? Can I expect a yellow lab to be similar to a black lab? I'm in Surrey/Langley. Probably start with easy mostly level stuff like Campbell Valley park.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
post #55 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2021, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman610 View Post
I'm welcoming an 8 week old yellow retriever to the family in a week. Its been quite a few years since I have been able to take a dog with me. Last time I had a black lab that was doing multi hour hikes at about 9 months old. what do you think is the scale up for hikes for a young dog? Can I expect a yellow lab to be similar to a black lab? I'm in Surrey/Langley. Probably start with easy mostly level stuff like Campbell Valley park.
Wow, congrats. So much fun ahead of you.

I mentioned this to someone else that recently got a black lab. pup...labs are a breed of all trades. They can do everything. So versatile and resilient. Great choice.

As for how to progress a pup into hiking, I am no expert. Katie is the first dog I have hiked with. She was 1 1/2 when we discovered hiking. Before that it was all long days at off leash dog parks and beaches. I think the popular belief is to slowly progress them. I have no doubt the pup will tell you what he/she can and can't do. Expect to carry them every once in awhile, I suppose. : )
post #56 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2021, 11:10 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
Last two are from yesterday as we made an attempt at Hat Mtn. in some wild weather.

This is that sloped traverse already on HSCT going towards Hat. Looks sketchy, full blown winter. Attempt? So you didn't make it to the top - where did you turn back? I'd think it gets actually easier after this bit (did Hat, just not in winter)
post #57 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2021, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
This is that sloped traverse already on HSCT going towards Hat. Looks sketchy, full blown winter. Attempt? So you didn't make it to the top - where did you turn back? I'd think it gets actually easier after this bit (did Hat, just not in winter)
We turned around on 'Fat Ass'. I didn't feel like descending that short and steep ramp leading down to the pass without crampons (I didn't bring them). At that elevation the old snow underneath all the fresh powder was too hard to kick steps and traction was difficult.
post #58 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2021, 11:52 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman610 View Post
tinman610,
PLEASE consult a vet, and ask about specific breed. A pup's growth plates, including in the shoulder, do not close and form solid bone until age 12-18 months.
It's my understanding that no stepping up or down for extended periods should be done before then. Especially down, when weight and pressure fall onto the shoulders. Helps avoid early arthritis and other mobility problems later on.
Exuberant pups will want to push for more.
Good luck, and enjoy your new best friend!
John and Katie likes this.
post #59 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2021, 11:57 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

John and Katie,
Love the photos of Katie in her red coat on Hat Mntn. She looks wise. Such a trooper!
John and Katie likes this.
post #60 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2021, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Not her favorite season, but just look at how well she puts up with my love for it. 😇

Alouette Mtn. via the West Canyon lot and the Evans/Alouette trail yesterday. Deep snow and steep little bugger. Snowshoes went on around 975m (just after the Evans junction). Snowline was around 875m. Avoided most of the boulderfield by crossing it near the bottom of it. Lots of meltwater dripping from the snow laden trees with the rising freezing level.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211112_173611.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	289744  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page