12 years later... - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2021, 12:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
Hat Mountain in yesterday's amazing weather.

in a perfect world there would be a hiking guidebook called, perhaps, "A Dog's Guide to Epic Mountain Adventures", by Katie with introduction + footnotes by John, filled with delightful pics + anecdotes

I'd buy 5 of them
zeljkok and John and Katie like this.

post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2021, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
in a perfect world there would be a hiking guidebook called, perhaps, "A Dog's Guide to Epic Mountain Adventures", by Katie with introduction + footnotes by John, filled with delightful pics + anecdotes

I'd buy 5 of them
Thanks xj6, really appreciate reading that today. : )
post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2021, 08:57 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post

I'd buy 5 of them

I'd contribute can of sardines!
martin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2021, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Deeks Peak via the seldom used Deeks Bypass Trail yesterday. Discreetly jumped off the Deeks Lake trail around 580m elevation. Still easy to miss, as it doesn't seem to see a lot of use and I don't think the junction is marked in any way.
Lots of fresh flagging to mark the way since we first did it snow free several years ago. Trail is still faint, so you have to keep a sharp eye as it zigs and zags it way up the steep grade. Not bushy at all lower down. Higher up it was bushy several years ago, but that was all buried under steep snow yesterday, as were any signs of flagging.
Around 1450m elevation we popped out onto that bench like feature again and had that very steep little path up staring at us. You can either go straight up, as we did, or you can head left (north) to join up with the trail coming up from Kallahne Lake. I copied Katie and used all 4's to get up with ice axe in one hand and her leash in the other. Crampons on. I still haven't decided if that was fun or not, however. 🙈
Once we got up that, we connected up with the Kallahne route around 1525m and came across fresh ascent tracks from that direction. Never did see anyone.
Topped out on Deeks, but didn't stick around long. I wanted to get all uncertainties out of the way before settling for lunch, so we continued with our planned loop.
The typical trail heads east off the summit (as did the person in front of us) and has one troublesome step below for a dog, so we descended steeply south for a bit and then rejoined the typical route eastward to avoid the step. Once that was out of the way, it was just a matter of making our way down to the Windsor/Deeks Pass, and we finally settled for a good long lunch to unwind.
From there we made our way down to Deeks Lake and then trudged our way back to the Porteau Rd. lot.
Big beautiful day. Felt like an adventure. Katie was bagged. May have asked for too much from her on this one. 🐾🤞
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210529_105757.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	286270  

Name:	20210530_055725.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	745.2 KB
ID:	286272  

martin and treord8 like this.

Last edited by John and Katie; 05-30-2021 at 09:23 AM.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2021, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

South Needle via Lynn Ridge in Lynn Headwaters Park today. Parked outside the gate and along Lynn Valley Road. Dark, dreary and wet for the ascent.

First time in runners this year and it felt so good. No microspikes needed. Only a few patches of snow around, and it's mostly on the flat and wide sections of Lynn Ridge. Didn't have to ascend or descend any snow.

A few new big blowdowns to go over/under/around since we last did it. Getting bushy too. Was rubbing shoulders with a lot of wet bush. Perhaps because they were saturated.

Didn't have a look at the north side descent of the South Needle, as she retired from that route a few years ago. Third pic is the start of it. Rumour has it that there is a fixed rope there now, but she don't do ropes. 😝

Pre-vestibular, Katie always did this on her own, but she needed quite a few butt boosts this time around. Also leashed her up for the final ascent. Was always one of her favourites too. She doesn't really like me boosting or lifting her, so she may have changed her mind. 🐾😁
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210605_184007.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	728.8 KB
ID:	286592  

Name:	20210605_115502.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	286594  

treord8 likes this.