11 years later.... - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 01:17 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: and Interests: Hiking, cycling, down-hill skiing, generally just being in the great outdoors, also enjoy X-country skiing, canoeing or kayaking, gardening, dancing & travelling

What a wonderful post to see! I've been away from ClubTread for YEARS! Always loved seeing John and Katie posts. So happy to see you two are still getting out there.
greyowl and John and Katie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Sol View Post
What a wonderful post to see! I've been away from ClubTread for YEARS! Always loved seeing John and Katie posts. So happy to see you two are still getting out there.
Thank you...always great to hear that. Sometimes I wonder why I continue to post, but this thread gets a lot of views each time I post some new photos, so the interest in what she is still up to must be there.
post #48 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Hit up Conway and also travelled the ridge to the base of Foley yesterday. Logging operations were shut down for the weekend. Gated and security on site, but we didn't see anyone. I would recommend following the ridge to Foley over topping out on Conway if you are stretched for time and can't do both.
So nice to pop out above the clouds again. Had the place to ourselves until coming across a couple and dog at Mile High Camp on our descent. That was it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200906_193537.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	934.2 KB
ID:	280272  

Name:	20200906_110843.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	987.5 KB
ID:	280274  

martin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

We made an attempt at Mt. Holden's east ridge via a northern approach where we jumped into the forest at the junction of Hicks Creek FSR and the TCT. No trail or flagging. We turned-tail at a 2.5/3 meter high awkward step up in a narrow part of the ridge (red dot in first pic). Not something she would do, and not something I wanted to help her up (or down on return). Not a bushy route overall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200910_085019.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	280436  

Name:	20200910_090031.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	280438  

Name:	20200910_085529.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	759.3 KB
ID:	280440  

post #50 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Glad to see you made it up to Conway; my next visit will be to the Lucky 4 Mine.

Beautiful Shot of Mt. Holden; the autumn colous are colorfully grand.

k
John and Katie likes this.

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #51 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

It's crazy how quickly one can go from a strong, confident and vibrant little girl to a fragile state. It's like she aged 4 years in a blink of an eye.
Katie has suddenly come down with Vestibular Disease. Wednesday afternoon walk and she was her typical self. About 2 hours later my mom texts me that there was something wrong with Katie. I went over and it was evident that she needed to see a vet asap. Stumbling, falling over, wobbly head, and confused.
Thinking she may have ingested something on that afternoon walk, they flushed her system, tested her blood and put her on iv fluids. They couldn't get a urine sample. Nothing indicated toxins so far. She would stay the night on iv and they would try again for a urine sample.
Picked her up yesterday morning and no change, but she now had a head tilt to one side and her eyes were flickering from side to side. They suggested that it could be Vestibular Disease and to take her to her regular vet asap for further care.
Her vet feels certain it is a mild case of Vestibular and she should be noticeably better in 4-5 days. Apparently they are not sure what causes it, but can be common in older dogs.
Anyway, I went to take her for a short walk around the block this morning and she didn't want to go. So we just walked around the back yard and there is a noticeable improvement over yesterday. She went up and down the stairs (3 tiers) off the deck unassisted and slowly walked around the yard on her own as well. Still unstable, but today she wasn't falling over. Eyes weren't flickering anymore, but still has the head tilt. Vet said that may be permanent. She is still quite confused as to what is going on and is not her vibrant self. Holding out hope that each day sees improvement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200914_125508.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	281210  

Name:	20200911_190526.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	281212  

post #52 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 09:41 PM
Summit Master

Old girl is just a bit under the weather. There will be 15 years later thread!

No regrets
post #53 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 01:58 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
It's crazy how quickly one can go from a strong, confident and vibrant little girl to a fragile state. It's like she aged 4 years in a blink of an eye.
Katie has suddenly come down with Vestibular Disease. Wednesday afternoon walk and she was her typical self. About 2 hours later my mom texts me that there was something wrong with Katie. I went over and it was evident that she needed to see a vet asap. Stumbling, falling over, wobbly head, and confused.
Thinking she may have ingested something on that afternoon walk, they flushed her system, tested her blood and put her on iv fluids. They couldn't get a urine sample. Nothing indicated toxins so far. She would stay the night on iv and they would try again for a urine sample.
Picked her up yesterday morning and no change, but she now had a head tilt to one side and her eyes were flickering from side to side. They suggested that it could be Vestibular Disease and to take her to her regular vet asap for further care.
Her vet feels certain it is a mild case of Vestibular and she should be noticeably better in 4-5 days. Apparently they are not sure what causes it, but can be common in older dogs.
Hey John, sorry to hear about Katie. Skeena went through the exact same thing this summer (she's getting close to 15 years). The vet also said it was vestibular disease and recommended that we not aid Skeena too much, to let her re-learn her center of gravity, balance, etc. Within 2 weeks she was back to her normal self (head tilt, flickering eyes cleared too). I'm confident Katie will be fine. She's a tough girl!
post #54 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashi View Post
Hey John, sorry to hear about Katie. Skeena went through the exact same thing this summer (she's getting close to 15 years). The vet also said it was vestibular disease and recommended that we not aid Skeena too much, to let her re-learn her center of gravity, balance, etc. Within 2 weeks she was back to her normal self (head tilt, flickering eyes cleared too). I'm confident Katie will be fine. She's a tough girl!
Thank you, Ashi. You taking the time to share this is much appreciated. It is quite amazing that they can completely recover from such symptoms. Great to hear Skeena is one of those dogs.
ashi likes this.
post #55 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Eager to go for her walk today and she had a bright light illuminating from her eyes again. Still unstable, but it seems like she has just accepted it and is working through it. Vibrant, nose to the ground and a good pace to her steps. Gave her a full can of sardines during the walk and she gobbled it down with enthusiasm. Looks like she is well on her way to recovering.....
ashi and xj6response like this.

Last edited by John and Katie; 09-27-2020 at 01:15 PM. Reason: OMG...illuminating, not emulating.
post #56 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Eager to go for her walk today and she had a bright light emulating from her eyes again. Still unstable, but it seems like she has just accepted it and is working through it. Vibrant, nose to the ground and a good pace to her steps. Gave her a full can of sardines during the walk and she gobbled it down with enthusiasm. Looks like she is well on her way to recovering.....
Great to see Katie has improved, wish her all the best and continued recovert, /we are all looking forward to the next adventure you take her on

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #57 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 05:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Hope she gets better soon! I'm still amazed at the tough hikes you two are getting in.
post #58 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 06:37 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Eager to go for her walk today and she had a bright light illuminating from her eyes again. Still unstable, but it seems like she has just accepted it and is working through it. Vibrant, nose to the ground and a good pace to her steps. Gave her a full can of sardines during the walk and she gobbled it down with enthusiasm. Looks like she is well on her way to recovering.....
Nothing like a can of sardines to set things right! That's my go to remedy for recovery after a tough mountain bike ride or hike. Glad Katie is on the mend. Your TR's are CT gems

post #59 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks for the well wishes and kind words, guys. As always, they are much appreciated.

We tagged Alpaca today. She's Learning how to hike all over again. Still has issues with balance and head tilt. I don't think she is seeing well either. Kept her on leash. Her drive, determination and enthusiasm is all there...she loved being out there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201003_190108.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	281370  

martin likes this.
post #60 of (permalink) Old Today, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

The only improvement since our last post would be that she is running around now. Has to be on some flat ground with no obstacles, however. She's good to go off leash on that type of terrain. Needs to be on leash on trails or she tripping over stuff and stumbling over downed trees, big steps and rocky creek crossings. She did really well at the beach yesterday, even through some of the rocky areas. Her spirits are still high and she is happy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201018_155147.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	808.4 KB
ID:	281858  

Name:	20201018_154858.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	886.3 KB
ID:	281860