Howe Sound Crest Trail - Dog Friendly? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By russellcoffin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Howe Sound Crest Trail - Dog Friendly?

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to hike the HSCT in August over 2 days. Has anyone done this hike with their dog? I've seen a picture of the "rope section" along the trail - is there only 1 rope section? I want to bring my dog (55lb collie mix, experienced hiker) but want to make sure the trail is passable for her. Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 PM
Summit Master

John and Katie, if they were still here, would say "sure no problem"

I will say there are couple of problematic sections, rope assisted descent from Unnecessary Mtn being prob. the hardest one, so you might have to help.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Ultimately it depends on how good of a scrambler your dog is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 04:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I think the only concerns are north sides of both Unnecessary peaks. The pic zeljkok posted is the north side of the south peak, but I can't remember if Katie needed a boost or not. She's been up and down that section a few times.
The north side of the north peak is a little more difficult and does have a rope to assist as well. Katie has been up that, but did need my help. She hasn't descended it because we haven't tried yet.
I think both peaks of Unnecessary can be bypassed by dropping into the watershed if it really comes down to it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:29 PM
Summit Master

[QUOTE=
I think both peaks of Unnecessary can be bypassed by dropping into the watershed if it really comes down to it.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that. I just did Cypress to Unnecessary today and "dropping into the watershed" did not appear a feasible option.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Are you sure about that. I just did Cypress to Unnecessary today and "dropping into the watershed" did not appear a feasible option.
No I am not, because we haven't done it ourselves. It's just what I was told by a pair of hikers we came across on the north peak awhile back. They mentioned it was their regular route to The Lions in winter. Perhaps it is a much different story this time of year.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:10 AM
Summit Master

My recollection of the area has faded as I haven't been on HSCT 5+ years, but I recall looking at some meadow + tarn on east (Watershed) side & thinking how one could camp down there if need be -- if you could get down somehow.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Hittin' the Trails

First the HSCT is very challenging for most people in two days with a pack and should not be considered lightly with a dog.

The HSCT is doable with a large dog with a lot of agility and comfort over challenging terrain, 3m+ vertical decents/accents, scree, large jumps along narrow passes. It is often mine would have to find an alternate route to meet up with me.

The E side of the W Lion could be covered in snow. This is more a challenging sidehill with snow bridges and running water that need careful attention.

Either David or James Pk has two spots where dogs need a boost on the S ridge accent near the summit.

Lastly, the entire HSCT is exposed to sun in Aug and there is very little water. Heat injury and dehydration would be a big consideration. There is little water aside from occasional snowpacks in early season so you will need a huge amount of water upwards of 6-8L with a medium dog on a hot cloudless day.

Last edited by Gord Linder; 11-25-2020 at 03:41 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:39 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Last edited by John and Katie; 07-22-2019 at 01:10 AM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Last edited by Gord Linder; 11-25-2020 at 03:48 PM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:44 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Linder View Post
When you post with "I think" and "I've actually never done what I'm suggesting to do"
Hey Gord. No need to come in here and be rude. Kindly leave your advice and move on.

And for what its worth, John and Katie are perhaps the most qualified people to answer the question asked. Look at the topo maps if you really think his suggestion is so wild.

FYI, snow is melted on the east face of the Lions. Please don't say there is "likely snow" when there isn't
zeljkok likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

With all the great input provided on this thread, it would be very helpful if Thea can let us know if their plan went ahead, and what the conditions were like.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:44 AM
Hittin' the Trails

This may be too late but thought I'd add to this. Cypress Parks actually says the north end of HSCT is closed due to mining - http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...rkpgs/cypress/ and that you need to exit via Lions Bay.

Also, I have dropped down to those lakes before. It was a couple years ago when there was a ton of snow throughout the trail in August. I can't remember exactly but think it was patchy snow at that point. We actually missed Unnecessary entirely and ended up down by the lakes accidentally but easily got back up to the trail on the other side of the lakes. So I would say it's doable to drop down.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhirsch View Post
This may be too late but thought I'd add to this. Cypress Parks actually says the north end of HSCT is closed due to mining - http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...rkpgs/cypress/ and that you need to exit via Lions Bay.

Also, I have dropped down to those lakes before. It was a couple years ago when there was a ton of snow throughout the trail in August. I can't remember exactly but think it was patchy snow at that point. We actually missed Unnecessary entirely and ended up down by the lakes accidentally but easily got back up to the trail on the other side of the lakes. So I would say it's doable to drop down.
Good point. A lot of people have actually done it successfully, or exited via the old deeks bluff trail following deeks creek to highway. But there is a risk you could be turned around / or get in trouble as it is pretty serious messing with active mining.

I will be doing the trail this weekend and will be working to provide access via Capilano Valley over Deeks Peak. Will update...
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your helpful feedback. I will update you once I hike the trail (probably mid-August) 🙂

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page