Any thoughts on the perfect trail dog? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Aqua Terra
  • 1 Post By amaranthine

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Any thoughts on the perfect trail dog?

I would like to find a nice dog to hike with. Was wondering what other ClubTread members thought would be the perfect dog? I don't want a huge dog, probably mid-sized that has stamina and common sense. Plus it would have to be okay with a cat. Was wondering about a Belgian Malinois or Rhodesian Ridgeback. Any pointers or tips would be appreciated thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

I like our Shiba Inu..

They top out at around 25-30lbs, are not yappy, very intellegent, and can go as long as you can if well fed and hydrated..

They ARE bred for flushing small game, so you will be obliged to leash them (ours gets distracted and won't heel for love or money) and it does get annoying especially on downgrades and narrow switchbacks when they get wind of pikas, grouse, etc.

They also shed, ALOT!

Here we all are on our last hike:

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...-8-2015-a.html

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 03:41 AM
Summit Master

Really it depends on owner and training more than breed, Lab is likely a decent choice, we have a 95% Ridgeback mix and even with our extensive experience she is a handful right now.,, and will be for some time, dang she is rough but tons of fun.
sixer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Scaling New Heights

I have a cattle dog who's the perfect size and a great running/hiking partner...but.....and it's a big but....she's not friendly to other dogs at all, and barely manages to get along with my ancient old cattle dog who's quite mellow. She's good with the kids and okay with cat/horse/chickens, I have to watch her closely around people and heavens don't try and touch me out in the bushes as she sees it as her singular duty to fend of strangers. They are an intense breed and not for everyone, as a matter of fact I can't recommend this breed if you're not an experienced dog person, but I wouldn't trade my girl for anything.

I have thought a ridgeback would be a great running dog but they're quite big. I was at a dog show a few months back and met a couple of pharaoh hounds that I thought were pretty awesome. I think ridgeback and pharaoh hound would be my two second choices after cattle dog.

Good luck with your dog search and let us know what you decided.

If I don't try, I've already failed.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

dougz I love how your Shiba Inu, Kuma looks like a little fox. I have had the opportunity to get to know one of these little dogs before, her name was Yuki which means 'snow'. They are very independent, yet loving with high energy. I very much enjoyed your travel log btw, so inspiring. Another hike to add to my ever growing bucket list.

My main concern is "harmony", I have a house cat who the dog will have to accept. That means the dog will have to be gentle.

I agree with you Aqua Terra that labs are a good choice. I've had one before and she was such a good sweet dog. Labs are prone to many problems... skin allergies, ear infections, cancer, dysplasia. It sounds like your RR is a young dog, guessing less than 2 yrs old?

Next dog I have (which will be the fifth over the years) will live like a king or queen. Will be dedicating time and money towards training and a raw food diet. Don't know how the raw food will work out on an extended hike though! Will figure that out when the time arrives
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Pharaoh Hounds? Nice dog by far Shade, yet pretty hard to come by. Strangely enough I think I actually saw one in Mission once. Can't imagine the price tag... I like Cattle Dogs too, very loyal pooches. My brother has an Australian Shepherd (closely similar) and that dog is high energy, intelligent and very sensitive to what people are feeling. Protective like the Cattle Dog as well. But man oh man can that dog get jealous! He does not like sharing his people's affections with other animals. They bond very deeply to their owner.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 12:51 AM
Hittin' the Trails

My trail dog is an Australian Shepherd. I can't say enough good things about her, she does it all. Trail runs up to 40k as long as its not to hot out, loves mountain biking and also well behaved on family hikes. They are a very clever breed and need to be stimulated mentally and physically. With an active owner they seem to be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11885258_10155975900925553_6999581219546667099_n.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	102618  

Click image for larger version

Name:	12143098_10156145737680553_6627535547636473224_n.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	102626  

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I also have an Australian Shepherd cross. She loves the bush, is very agile (never knocks into me when she goes past on a trail) and can go all day. However like Shade's dog, she can be very protective.....which means that she will, at times, bark at other people on the trail. Only if she is off leash, so I keep her on leash when I'm doing popular hikes.....but she will bark at the very few people we encounter on our more remote hikes. You wouldn't think that's a problem, but her "bark" looks and sounds aggressive. People who understand dogs are OK with it.....they just ignore her.....but she scares the s**t out of others.

That said, I'm not sure there is a perfect trail dog....some are good in some ways and some in others. Regardless of the breed though, you're going to have to put a lot of time into training if you want a well behaved companion.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

When we started looking for a dog again I found this helpful:

http://blog.theclymb.com/out-there/t...ign=hikingdogs

Our Ridgeback takes up a lot of energy and time so if you don't have that I would advise against it. They need a lot of attention and a lot of physical and mental stimulation. But she is absolutely an awesome dog. I see you live in Mission, we can always meet up and you can see how she/they're like if you're really interested in getting a Ridgeback.

How about a boxer? decent size, good with people and other pets.

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
~ John Burroughs
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky View Post
When we started looking for a dog again I found this helpful:

http://blog.theclymb.com/out-there/t...ign=hikingdogs

Our Ridgeback takes up a lot of energy and time so if you don't have that I would advise against it. They need a lot of attention and a lot of physical and mental stimulation. But she is absolutely an awesome dog. I see you live in Mission, we can always meet up and you can see how she/they're like if you're really interested in getting a Ridgeback.

How about a boxer? decent size, good with people and other pets.

Sure love to see your pooch and perhaps go for hike too? Just did the back way into Rolley lake from Florence Lake road. Nice little hike with scenic waterfalls, highly recommended for quick exercise.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

For those that recommended the Australian Shepherds, here is a pic of me with my favorite Brodey. Sometimes his parents farm him out to me and we go for long hikes. You can see the love by the way he leans into my leg haha.
Attached Images

Shade likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:09 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Raw food can be managed -- it all depends on how long you are going to be out. (I am VERY late in reading this, as just before the original post was made, I lost my Big Guy, Mr. Shadow, a standard longhaired Dachshund, on 2 October 2015. He was 17.5 years old. So I was not up to reading posts about other dogs.)

My holistic vet carries freeze dried raw patties which can be rehydrated just like dehydrated camping meals.

The breakfast I give my dogs is crushed mixed veggies and ground red meat. This can be (and has been) dehydrated in my Excalibur to make jerky and vegetable (separate) strips which I keep on hand for emergency rations during hurricane season. The emergency dinners are the above mentioned patties from my vet, since I haven't yet figured out how to get the bones in the chicken wings to dry in with the meat properly for multi-day non-refrigerated storage.

Hope by this time, you have found a four-foot to accompany you on your hikes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page