Hiking trip suggestions, please?? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Hiking trip suggestions, please??

I'm starting to get itchy feet and want to get back on the trails - so while I wait for the snow to melt, thought I might as well try and plan a few summer trips. Does anyone have any favourite multi-day hikes that they can recommend, please?

Looking for something <5-7 hours from Vancouver, preferably 2-5 days long, and a trail I can take my two dogs on. I *hope* the dog haters on this forum generally stay out of this thread, but for the record, my dogs are always leashed in the back country (including at the campsite) and yes I do always clean up after them.

We did the Juan de Fuca and Cape Scott last year, which were a blast. Hoping to get out for some new adventures this summer and I need some inspiration, please!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Try the Sunshine Coast Trail. I did a little over a year ago. We had a dog with us and I would say it was very dog friendly. Lots of great views and scenery. You can camp by a lake almost every night. With it being around 180km in total length there's lots variations to choose from. We did the 1st 50km from Sarah Point to Powell Lake. I'd go back and do it again in heart beat.

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=37510

www.sunshinecoast-trail.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brunodog

Looking for something <5-7 hours from Vancouver, preferably 2-5 days long, and a trail I can take my two dogs on. I *hope* the dog haters on this forum generally stay out of this thread, but for the record, my dogs are always leashed in the back country (including at the campsite) and yes I do always clean up after them.

We did the Juan de Fuca and Cape Scott last year, which were a blast. Hoping to get out for some new adventures this summer and I need some inspiration, please!!

Sigh...
Its a misnomer to call other trail-users and park-friends as "dog haters" when the inverse from owners is more true, IE people haters.
Mighty strong slander, is it not?

[Rest of text editted and just around the cornerPlease don't use use such a glib response of others]

And thankyou for being respectfull on the trails and camps.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...g-tickets.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 04:19 AM
Headed for the Mountains

"Dog-haters" are so easy to bring forth out of the wood-works.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 06:04 AM
Summit Master

^ using foul language and slanting of character elicits responses from members. Let sleeping dogs lie and share good tails.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

rustysheep, THANK YOU!!! We were actually just looking at this trail tonight, so I'm excited to read the trip report that you posted - from first glance at the photos, it looks like a great trail!!! Did you have a hard time finding transportation back to your vehicle? Also, did you buy the book? I find that the online maps are not that helpful, but maybe I'm not looking at the right ones...so was considering trying to pick up the book this weekend.

And apologies for my strong language, I am just reluctant to use the word "dog" (even in the dog thread) as it seems to spark some lengthy discussions on this forum - didn't want to get away from my original question. And I suppose I do mean "people haters" since bad dog owners are the worst enemy of good dog owners. I did see that article and nothing would make me happier than more tickets for people not complying with animal bylaws! That's all I have to say about that [|)]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

hah, just noticed that my last post made it sound like I thought "dog" was the naughty word. Oops.

Anyway, has anyone done a 2-5 day trip in Manning Park? I think we're narrowing it down to a longer trip on the Sunshine Coast Trail (rustysheep, your photos convinced me) - the husband is pushing to do a 90 km trip, we'll see if my knees can handle it. But I'd also like to do a long weekend type trip to Manning, as shamefully I have not spent any time there. Suggestions?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

rustysheep, THANK YOU!!! We were actually just looking at this trail tonight, so I'm excited to read the trip report that you posted - from first glance at the photos, it looks like a great trail!!! Did you have a hard time finding transportation back to your vehicle? Also, did you buy the book? I find that the online maps are not that helpful, but maybe I'm not looking at the right ones...so was considering trying to pick up the book this weekend.

[|)]
We ended up taking a cab from the marina back to Lund. It was about $60 or so. We could have hitch hiked but really just wanted to get back to the car. There's a bus as well but we really didn't feel like waiting around. At that point we were pretty tired and wanted to get back to the car and find a hotel.

It really was an amazing trip. You could do it in a bit of shorter time frame as well. As you can see the last two days we wanted to take it pretty easy and just explore the lakes. There was one day we had trouble finding a water source and started running pretty low on water. It was really late in the season though. If you did earlier there'd be more water sources around. Going end of September/early October a lot of the creeks were dry.

We did buy the book. It was really helpful in planning out the trip. I printed out the map from off there website and used as a rough guide. The book was much more detailed. A proper topo-map would have been a benefit to bring as well. It's really well marked too so that helps alot. When we did the trip there wasn't a single other camper the whole way along and we only saw other people twice. Again, that was probably due to the time of year. There aren't that many people that start out at Sarah Point so the chance of seeing anyone then is pretty slim too. Starting from Sarah Point is an absolute must! It was such a great way to start out. The point just pushes up against some rocks and you jump out. It gives the whole trip this epic feeling.

Feel free to send me an e-mail if you have questions. I'd be more than happy to talk to you about the trip.

-Russ
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Summit Master

I used to back-country camp up in manning park high altitudes. Something to note is the high numbers of wolves that circle individual campsites while you are dozing, and the numbers of ungulates & grouse that frequent rivulets. I would think that the majority of the park is similar except nearer the highway, and best to assess every camp-potential for wildlife.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cambium

I used to back-country camp up in manning park high altitudes. Something to note is the high numbers of wolves that circle individual campsites while you are dozing, and the numbers of ungulates & grouse that frequent rivulets. I would think that the majority of the park is similar except nearer the highway, and best to assess every camp-potential for wildlife.
They have a number of large wooden platforms in the camping area, about 5 to 6 km from the parking lot. Nice base to put on a tent.

K
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KARVITK

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cambium

They have a number of large wooden platforms in the camping area, about 5 to 6 km from the parking lot. Nice base to put on a tent.

K
sure beats uneven ground and frozen floors and mice & ticks crawling into my hair at night.[:0]Even in august I was getting ice inside my tent.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Manning Park is a great place to bring dogs. They do not need to be leashed unless you are on the heavily used trails like Lightning Lakes. I have taken dogs into the alpine meadows many times (without a leash) - they love it.

Of course you realize there is a lot of snow up there now, right? It won't clear until June/July. I have never seen wolves in Manning, though they almost certainly exist. I have seen lots of bears though. As of a few years ago, the campsites do not have working bear staches or food hangs so I would bring a bear vault.

A superb, safe, 2-3 day trip at this time of year is the Cambie Creek / Blackwall traverse.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Quote:

hah, just noticed that my last post made it sound like I thought "dog" was the naughty word. Oops.

Anyway, has anyone done a 2-5 day trip in Manning Park? I think we're narrowing it down to a longer trip on the Sunshine Coast Trail (rustysheep, your photos convinced me) - the husband is pushing to do a 90 km trip, we'll see if my knees can handle it. But I'd also like to do a long weekend type trip to Manning, as shamefully I have not spent any time there. Suggestions?
There's a big loop you can do in Manning Park. The first half is Heather Trail, grainger creek then skaist river back to the highway. The second half is south of the highway: skagit river, then skyline trail back over the mountains to the Manning Park Lodge area. I think it's about 80km total and you can resupply half way if you want to. Or do either half of the loop as a weekend or long weekend trip.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Another one is 3-brothers to Nicomen Lake, keep going north to Copper Creek, then follow Copper Creek logging roads east to the highway. I haven't done it myself. The condition of the logging roads varies from year to year. I believe they are 4wd drivable in the summer.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Scaling New Heights

I second the SCT mention. My dog (boxer) really enjoyed it as well. It is difficult to take her on a trip without bumping into people who give me a look OR other dogs off-leash whom are not well trained =( I agree the city should step up fining dog owners where appropriate.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page