need bunzen lake trail info - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking/Scrambling, Backpacking,cycling,photography, Travelling, Theatre/Arts....Exploring and Living!
Default need bunzen lake trail info

hi, i want to take my dad to bunzen lake and do part of the diez vistas..don't want to do the loop as i think it will be too long for him..he is in fairly good shape, but doesn't do alot of hiking..

he wants to do a 4 hr moderate to easy hike..with some views..so i thought i would take him up to the views and than we can return the way we came...

here is my problem..i have aunts and uncles in town from chile who want to join in on the hike..they DON'T HIKE..just do a little walking..so i thought we could begin the hike early, they can meet us part way(maybe an hour hike for them) and we can finish the hike together..meaning..we would probably park in different areas..but that is ok, as i can drive them back to their cars..

is there a way to do this?...for the people who live in that area, and know the route well..please let me know,..as we are designated to go tommorow before the rains begin...if there is another hike that can be suggested in that area, i am open to it...just not the lake trail,as dad might find it boring..thanx. O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hikingbikingyogastudyingarcticdogswatersportssnowshoeing

If you lose your aunt and uncle you are going to be in big trouble with your family.

I can't wait to hear how this turns out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 03:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking (slow!), visiting out of the way places, writing, canoeing, and fueling my sweet tooth

If you go up the Diez Vista trail with your dad and come back down the exact same way, you could meet your aunts on the Energy nature trail, I recall that it connects near the start of the Diez Vistas route - the Energy trail takes about an hour and has self-guiding signs to explain the flora to them.
I haven't been up there much so only remember this much (from getting lost on the Energy trail while trying to find the Diez vistas route!).

MK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 04:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Is it only the Port Moody area you are considering? If you are open to something else, I took some non-hiking family (including my Dad who is less than physically fit and diabetic), up to Dog Mountain on Seymour. It's definitely under 4 hours and on a clear day has a spectacular view. They enjoyed the trek and were very impressed with the view.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:29 PM

How about an easier hike...

Try Belcarra's Jug island trail or Burn point trail...both good hikes.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking/Scrambling, Backpacking,cycling,photography, Travelling, Theatre/Arts....Exploring and Living!

yes, bishop...with my loud crazy relatives...i am sure they will be easy to locate..

trillum , i do want to stay in the port moody area as thats where the other 4-5 family members live...but i will take dad to dog mtn..i will be hiking with him alot now...he is keen in outbeating me at the age of 65..

raven..where are these hikes located that you mentioned...any info about them?..sorry, i tend to be a mtn snob, so stay away from local easier stuff...but now that will be taking dad..i need to learn to appreciate other things.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 07:31 AM

When you hit the only junction, right goes to Buntzen, left goes towards Belcarra. Its about fifteen minutes after the junction. I'm sorry i forget the name of the road.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

do you know how long the trails are? and elevation info?..or do you know where i can locate the info for hikes in that area?..thanxO
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 08:50 AM

The hardest hike has maybe a hundred meter elevation gain, trails aren't supper long but have good views plus beaches.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 09:56 AM

There is some info about those trails on The Hiker's site here: http://vancouverhiking.tripod.com/id7.html

And a link to a page on the GVRD site, there's a PDF map of the area but no trail details. http://www.gvrd.bc.ca/parks/Belcarra.htm
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 09:58 AM

If you want a very easy walk for your family go to Rockypoint park...but that might just be too easy for your liking...

um...

"Never give up [^] ... Alwasy surrender! "
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 11:38 AM

I'd say that the best bet for your family would be to head on up to Mount Seymour and walk around up there for a while. The Diez Vistas trail can be quite strenuous for a non-hiker if you depart from the south end of Buntzen lake and climb the ridege heading north. The loop in the opposite direction is less difficult, but you have to walk for a couple hours along the service road or the lake trail before you reach the north end of the Diez Vistas trail.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, bring plenty of water for yourself. Also make sure that everyone else brings enough and then some. One time I ended up running out of water on the service road in 30+ degree temperatures. I was forced by my dad and brother to surrender a water bottle (they hadn't packed enough water for themselves) and we were soon all out[xx(]. Do yourself a favour and DON'T make this mistake.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

thanx daytripper...the site is great..exactly what i needed for seeing what is in that area ..

raven, yeh, i think those hikes you mentioned are too short..dad wanted a hike more than a walk...something a little longer...

we actually went up to the first view point of diez vistas...we took route #7 by accident after crossing the floating bridge (have no idea how, as i followed all the signs)...so needless to say it was super steep for one hour, till we reached the junction of route#6 and by then, we were already near the first viewpoint..dad did very well..he kept up a good pace, his fear was just coming down again..but when we got to the junction, we realized we had missed the easy way up...so that is what we took down, which was easier on the knees..3hrs roundtrip, not bad for a 65 year old man who doesn't hike much..

thanx everyone for the info...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page