Trail Repository / Wiki - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Default Trail Repository / Wiki

I am a bit late to all the developments; but I also was considering starting up a project similar to Bas and Shadow; but based around a Wiki engine.

A Wiki is basically a collaboration system that allows people to edit content together. The biggest / most popular wiki is http://wikipedia.com ; I was thinking of creating something similar but for use as a Trail database instead.

thoughts?

tecmo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Send a message via MSN to ge-an_bas

Hi,

The database structure is already, but I have not yet implemented the code.. What I want to do is to allow posts by signed in users to be added to trails. In this way people can add their "freetext" remarks to a trail..

I think in general you some structure to allow easy searching etc

Bas

----------------------------------------
Canadian trail data
http://trail.brijn.nu
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 02:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tecmo

I am a bit late to all the developments; but I also was considering starting up a project similar to Bas and Shadow; but based around a Wiki engine.

A Wiki is basically a collaboration system that allows people to edit content together. The biggest / most popular wiki is http://wikipedia.com ; I was thinking of creating something similar but for use as a Trail database instead.

thoughts?

tecmo
The wiki software is great! The VOC (UBC outdoor club) set up a wiki at www.ubc-voc.com. There is a section called "trip ideas" that is similar to a trail database. The scope is currently limited to hiking, skiing and mountaineering around SW BC. All pages are free form text, are searchable, and have an accompanying discussion page so chatting doesn't get mixed up with real information.

If you want to set up and manage your own wiki, go right ahead, but if you just want to contribute your experience to community project, you will be very welcome on contribute to the VOC's Wiki. As number of trail database type projects that apply to this part of the world grows, I wonder more and more how much better the end product could be if all the contributors were working together on a single project.

-Scott

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page