101 reason British Columbia is the best! - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:59 AM

B.C. is a great place for the outdoor enthusiast. It has so many diverse ecosystems.

What, however, attracts me to Alberta? I prefer the more unbound expanse of opportunity of hiking in less dense vegetation. I like to hike in areas of aspen woodland, sparse spruce, lodgepole pine and Ponderosa Pine (some of which B.C. has). The denser forests of B.C's wetter climate have their attraction but give me a straight-jacket feeling. In B.C. in many areas I'm always on 'trails', on coastlines, logging roads, etc. I prefer the more open feel of just being able to park the car in a hundred spots and 'go' without needing a chainsaw to get through the bush. This is also the reason I like our own badlands and many parts of the American southwest. One can

One of my favorite ecosystems for hiking is just north of Saskatchewan-NWT border. The trees are small and well spaced so you can get through easily and just point the compass and 'go'. I don't know if wildlife was more abundant or it was just more visible. The whole world up there was alive and full of something new with every few paces.

----------------------------------------
After hiking for 35 years I still haven't reached the end of the trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Red

Quote:
quote:You need to travel more.
I hardly think that moving to Alberta constitutes travelling more! LOL!

No hard feelings, though. If you are more happy there, than that is where you should be. It is definitely beautiful there. I have enjoyed all of my visits to your part of Canada and I think I would find it quite easy to live there. Having said that, I would miss the ethnic diversity of Vancouver and Ralph Klein doesn't inspire any warm fuzzy feelings...

There are so many great places on this planet and I think we are all lucky to live in this country but I do feel especially lucky to live in BC.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world -- Anne Frank
post #18 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:48 AM

If we are going to remove the discussion from the outdoors.

What's going on in B.C.? At construction sites in Alberta half the vehicles are from Saskatchewan... BUT now the other half are from B.C. Young British Columbians are moving to Alberta in droves.

And why can't you buy a six-pack of beer in B.C. for under $5?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 11:03 AM

I've been fortunate enough to have lived in a few different places outside of BC and to me none really measured up. Why? Possbily because I spent my chilhood here and so BC remained home to me. The diversity was what I was accustomed to expecting from life. I adapted to the other locations I lived even though they really weren't all that different in general. However, the difference was enough for me to want to come back to Canada and be in BC.

Needing to be within an hour or two of the ocean was important to me since I grew up in a bay. To smell the salt air and feel the ocean spray is something that just has to be within reach for me. Or to be in the mountains wandering through a wet trail that smells of fresh rain and damp earth while in the distance I hear the ramble of a creek. Or to be sitting quietly out in a boat without another soul in sight while lazily waiting for a fish to nibble. Then there is the simple act of kindness in the towns/cities from stranger who smile or say hello or offer to help you with something.

The climate is another thing that keeps me here. I love how we get a moderate amount of everything. Now and then we may get too much of this or not enough of that but on average we have, what seems to me, a stable climate that keeps our crops growing, our land lush and our water supply ample. Environmentalists may debate that we are not as well off as we used to be but we are still far better off than many other countries that are no where as blessed as we are. I try not to take that for granted and thank God regularly that I am fortunate enough to live where I do.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Grizzled

If we are going to remove the discussion from the outdoors.

What's going on in B.C.? At construction sites in Alberta half the vehicles are from Saskatchewan... BUT now the other half are from B.C. Young British Columbians are moving to Alberta in droves.

And why can't you buy a six-pack of beer in B.C. for under $5?
I never knew that the construction workers were still heading to Alberta. I figured that was a 90's thing and that the change in our economy was seeing many of them coming back to BC.

A six pack of beer for under $5? I suppose that is just another way our government has helped reduce the deficit.

"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."~Winnie the Pooh~
post #20 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 11:59 AM

Well, Alberta is nice, and you don't have to look at as many tree's, but lets just think about what everyone was doing this january, I was at the beach in a t shirt, I've taken the west coast road and hit, rain, snow, fog, then beautiful sunshine. If you haven't guessed it, I'm on the island. Weather wise, there's no better place in Canada, than Victoria, the two pic's I'm attaching are within 45 minutes of my home. .. Oh yeah and having temperate rainforests to meander through, isn't that bad either. Oh and as for travel, I've live in, Edmonton, Calgary, Banff, Toronto, Ottawa, Victoria, Vancouver. Rock on BC...
post #21 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 12:03 PM

Kman your first shot there is an amazing one. I'd like to look at that all the time too...[8D]
post #22 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 12:17 PM

On the beach? I was where I want to be....in deep white powder. Unlike Vancouverites, I look forward to Winter. I look forward to Summer. Give me lots of deep snow, frozen ponds and I'm a happy man. I get grumpy when it rains more than once a month. I've lived in the Maritimes and on the B.C. coast...I don't want to live anywhere where most people actually own an umbrella.

Ya, I admit. I do miss the ocean. The ocean in Nova Scotia and the ocean in B.C. I actually preferred the ocean in Nova Scotia. Not because it was better but there was just a lot more access.

post #23 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 01:59 PM

several reasons why i like b.c.( not in order of importance)
- awesome coastline
- ocean / islands
- awesome fishing
- verdant rainforests
- diverse ecology and climates
- glaciers
- small hail
- Granite
post #24 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kman
I have 4 ski resorts to choose from within 45 minutes with the best powder ever.
You're joking right [}]
post #25 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 05:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

Doesn't this just sum it up. I can spend the day on my bike when others have to deal with this.

Somewhere back east.
...and yes, we do have lots of granite.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 06:11 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sandy

Quote:
I have 4 ski resorts to choose from within 45 minutes with the best powder ever.
You're joking right [}]
Lake Louise is 45 minutes. Sunshine is less than 1/2 hour. Nakiska is less than 45 minutes. Norquay is 20 minutes. The powder is light and dry and absolutely awesome.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Summit Master

Both BC and Alberta are stunning. I'm from Vancouver but temporarily in Toronto. I'd take either of Alberta or BC over Ontario, let me tell you.

But I can't stand the cold. It may be just me but I really, really can't stand the cold. The Rockies are beautiful but what I am really looking forward to about moving back to Vancouver (in a few months) is the reasonable temperatures and spring actually arriving by March.

A lot of people from the Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island say "BC" when they mean.... the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island. Not all of BC has such warm winters that you can sit on the beach in a t-shirt in February.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Summit Master

No offense, Kman, but we get more snow at our house each year than Lake Lousy gets at the top of the mountain. I spent 13 years backcountry touring in the Rockies, and some years, the entire snowpack is facetted and won't support a skier for the whole ski season - that's the only reason I started ice climbing out there. I don't even want to talk about what happens when it turns isothermic in the middle of a ski traverse - but it's ugly, very, very ugly.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
You're joking right [}]
Lake Louise is 45 minutes. Sunshine is less than 1/2 hour. Nakiska is less than 45 minutes. Norquay is 20 minutes. The powder is light and dry and absolutely awesome.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Skiing, Trail Running, etc.

Quote:

It looks more like you got to close to a tree-hole..[]
post #30 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Hmmm ... looks very familiar. Sombrio Beach I'm guessing?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Scottmojowright

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page