What's With the Weather? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Wife, family, reading, walking, exploring, looking at maps, genealogy, history, church community, garden, friends, dahlias, rock walls, my wonderful classes, colleagues at work, the list goes on.
Default What's With the Weather?

I just love this weather that we are experiencing these days. Cold nights, beautiful, crisp sun-filled days, that beg us to get outside and walk/hike/climb/run/do. It's awesome, and Wayne and Mark on BCTV are predicting (cheerfully,) several more days of this weather that we have had for at least two weeks now.

However, I am concerned. Are others out there too? I fear that we are not getting enough precipitation - and I am concerned that we are again going to have a horrendously hot, dry summer.

I live right behind a park that runs along the banks of the Coquihalla River, and in the summer of 2003 in particular, I was so scared that a single spark was going to cause an explosion of fire that would consume my house (and the rest of Hope.)

While enjoying the weather, I feel uneasy about what this summer holds for us. Does anyone else feel this way?

Hope I am not raining on anyone's parade!

----------------------------------------
Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Asissi

St. Francis of Asissi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

I have the same concerns Peter.
I commented to my friend yesterday while up on seymour, not enough snow, what is up there is so hard packed now, we didn't even wear our snowshoes, and the ski hill is showing bare patches, not very much fun. But aside from that, yes, I don't think there's been enough precipitation.
And Spring just around the corner.

Yes, the weather is beautiful right now, but I would like to see some rain, with the lower temps, to build up the snowpacks.

Really, really don't want to see a repeat of 2003 forest fires
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 06:38 PM

I'm not sure what this weather means in the way of long term forecasts into summer but what does concern me is the lack of snowpack within the North Shore and Coquitlam watersheds. There won't be a continuous, melting water source feeding the watersheds when we need it, if the weather itself is dry. Major water restrictions ahead?

I remember a thread like this last year, and while we had hot and dry weather and extreme fire hazards, I don't remember much in the way of water restrictions. Did we have a decent snowpack? Or maybe we had well placed rains to help fill the watersheds. Important topic.

Watching TV while writing, took a while to hit 'post'. You're right on it Shadee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

all that a low snowpack means is low rivers and less drinking water...and less glissading come summer

fire risk is more strongly related to what the weather does in the summer. if it rains every day in june, july and august the low snowpack will not matter with respect to fires
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Wife, family, reading, walking, exploring, looking at maps, genealogy, history, church community, garden, friends, dahlias, rock walls, my wonderful classes, colleagues at work, the list goes on.

I guess I was thinking of the snowpack, and the effect it will have on water supply in summer.

But, do you think the summers here are getting warmer?

I don't know, but I sure have felt the last two summers have been particularly hot. Any empirical information out there, other than how I merely feel?

St. Francis of Asissi
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

fire risk is more strongly related to what the weather does in the summer. if it rains every day in june, july and august the low snowpack will not matter with respect to fires
obviously

I guess my post read wrong. Im more concerned about water shortage, and a very dry summer, yet worse seeing the backcountry closed
I want precip now so I can have some fun playing in the snow.
In 2003, by amazing contrast to the brown, dead looking foliage we had here, down in the Baker area the forest was lush green, not dry, surprising since it isn't very far away.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Summit Master

My forecast for March 2005..18 days of precip.heavy at times especially N.shore to Hope,S.Chilliwack.Heavy snow accumulations above 800m,high avalanche probability.Limited backroad access.
This is my personal outlook only
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Banned

Never thought I'd see the day where Fraser Valley residents would be ASKING for rain!
My advice is enjoy the sunshine, you can BANK ON plenty of rain in May and well into June.
That should fill the reservoirs!

Besides, cold winters kill the bugs - hopefully!

Pop can stove-making hiker wannabe that drives a tiddler to trailheads!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Aqua Terra,I'm betting on the same thing .There's usually at least one month where there's heavier snows in most winters,and this year that could well be March[8D]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 07:40 AM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

You just never know what to expect these days! Look how dry last Summer started out, then in August WHAM! Record setting wetness. Roll the dice.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Hiking, coping with fitness issues associated with aging

Two weeks ago, on skis, I was hitting rocks as if it were following the first couple of snowfalls of the season -- not February.

Worse... our well (on Bowen Island) is almost dry. No shower this morning. Usually the water is between 180 and 240 feet down so what happens on the surface has no impact on our water supply.

My enviro friends are telling me that the infestation of the mountain pine beetles continues because winters are no longer cold enough to kill the beetles. I hear that they expect the lodgepole pine to be wiped out in southern BC.

I remember the spring of 1999 as the last great season of snow. It has been years since I've been able to ski the south face of Mt Harvey.

There is serious talk that we are seeing evidence of real, long term, climate change. Probably those of us who like to travel in British Columbia's high wilderness are among the first to actually see the change.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

The climate has been changing for a long time. Back in the 1920's the Fraser River used to freeze solid at New Westminster every winter and you could walk or even ride a horse across to Surrey.

Less ice climbing. More rock climbing. Less skiing more hiking.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Hiking, coping with fitness issues associated with aging

The horror of this dreary sunny clear weather continues.

My daughter just telephoned from downtown with a gleeful report that the wretched cherry trees are blooming. She had trouble with my lack of delight.

I crave masses of turgid cold air, not a mess of lurid blossoms littering the city.

grump [V]
post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: snowboarding, photography, hiking, guitar

the climate is always changing, and always has been. over the past 1000 years, there have been two mini ice ages where glaciers advanced so fast in some areas that populations were displaced. southern england used to have a climate comparable to present day southern france. significant climate change can and does happen on a fairly rapid scale.

this isnt to say that we dont have to worry about what we put into the enviroment. the emmissions we produce still have very real adverse effects on our world. i would worry about things like acid rain, ozone depletion, groundwater contamination, the squandering of our finite natural resources, etc... before worrying too much about climate change.

hope for snow. ive only been boarding 6 days this year. need more.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

That's a great picture of you, Andrew! I do hope Aqua Terra's prediction comes true!

And, I also can't believe that we on 'The Wet Coast' are talking about more precipitation!!

St. Francis of Asissi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page