What's With the Weather? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

It is silly to posit the current 3 weeks of sunshine as irrefutable evidence of global warming when California is having its wettest and snowiest year ever at the same time. [}]I think we should just remind them water exports are not a part of NAFTA and ask for our snow back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

Regardless of the cause, the current weather is great for running but this has to be the worst year for snow sports in many years (although I remember some pretty hideous, warm and rainy years in the late '70s). I managed to jam in 8 days on the slopes between Boxing Day and January 14th but it's been a wasteland ever since. Spring break at Sun Peaks is starting to look like the only other skiing I'll be doing this season.

----------------------------------------
"Aging ... it beats the alternative"
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 11:10 AM

This is el nino weather as in 94/95 and results in an early dry spring and summer, back to rain in september. So book those days off early in the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 12:44 PM

Already for about two weeks one of my trees has been blooming.

I enjoy the warmer weather, however, I still can't help but be concerned that the lack of snow means trouble in the summer months. Hopefully we'll get a few decent dumpings of snow in the mountains over the month of March.

It seems weird being out and about and noticing all the bugs that are already out. We've encountered flies, bees, ladybugs and the usual creepy spiders, next it will be mosquitos.

----------------------------------------
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."~Winnie the Pooh~
post #20 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

The weather is totally bizaare, we were out hiking in shorts and t-shirts today, the forest smelled like summer, felt like summer, the wind was warm, I even got a skeeter bite! I *really* hope we get a cold snap and a good 'old snow dumping soon!

post #21 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking, music, art, wood working, hockey. Any thing that takes too much time, effort, space and money.

I did my undergraduate thesis on Snow fall patterns in the Fraser Valley over the last 100 yeas. I also looked at temperature and precipitation in general. Overall there is slight increase (around 5C) in temperature and a slight decrease in precipitation. What has increased is the frequency of anomalies like heavy rains, prolonged drought and heat waves. These anomalies can be the result of a global warming scenario. However, anomalies in mountain snow pack fluctuations have appeared as long as data has been recorded in the Coast Mountains. In roughly all these occurrences spring snows have brought the snow level from an outlier back into normal snow pack levels. Nature likes balance and it usually evens out. Remember, winters not over yet.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:39 PM

Reassuring words deneb, thanks. And welcome to CT!
post #23 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:24 PM

Apparently snow packs are normal for most areas in BC except for the South coast and some areas of Vancouver Island so not too worry folks! Our reservoirs are also full despite the dry weather. whew! As nasty as global warming may be the warm temps are awful nice
post #24 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:26 PM

Quote from Weather channel: Winter is a limited time offer.

Too limited this year.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:13 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by marjanc

Quote from Weather channel: Winter is a limited time offer.

Too limited this year.
Unfortunately too short for many of the outdoors winter activities (skiing, snowshoeing, icefishing) that many of us enjoy.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Summit Master

My forecast is starting to take shape,and I remain optimistic,that new snow will dress the mountains in a thick blanket,replenishing the snowpack,also feel that 2 or 3 good wet/windy storms will hit the hills in April .Just a guess?..maybe,but we could use it

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra

My forecast for March 2005..18 days of precip.heavy at times especially N.shore to Hope,S.Chilliwack.Heavy snow accumulations above 800m,high avalanche probability.Limited backroad access.
This is my personal outlook only

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page